Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

MorganLee, I think the reason people jumped on you is that each and every one of your posts so far has been negative. Are there any skaters that you like?

You complain that there is a lot of interest in Michelle Kwan on this board, yet all nine of your own posts has been on this topic. You have given the impression, to me at least, that your only purpose in registering for Golden Skate was to kick Michelle while she is down.

OK, you've made you point on that score. Now, are there any other topics that you are interested in?

MM

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
MorganLee, I think the reason people jumped on you is that each and every one of your posts so far has been negative. Are there any skaters that you like?

You complain that there is a lot of interest in Michelle Kwan on this board, yet all nine of your own posts has been on this topic. You have given the impression, to me at least, that your only purpose in registering for Golden Skate was to kick Michelle while she is down.

OK, you've made you point on that score. Now, are there any other topics that you are interested in?

MM
I like Irina, Kimmie, Sasha, Mao and Arakawa. Productive and progressive is always good for a start, don't you think?.

Morganlee said:
I like Irina, Kimmie, Sasha, Mao and Arakawa. Productive and progressive is always good for a start, don't you think?.
Go Irina!

I don't think I could stand it if the 2006 Winter Olympic Games came and went and the "FLYING TOMATO" took home a gold medal, but neither Michelle nor Irina did.

MM

PS. Go Fumie!

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
thisthingcalledlove said:
You just got lucky that she pulled out. Go do something productive with your day and take your "I'M RIGHT" attitude elsewhere.

)

I didn't get lucky, Emily did.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Its so sad when posters who claim to love US figure skating & support the sport can be gleeful that Kwan is injured and cannot compete. Even if you hate her & all that she stands for, wouldn't it be better to see her compete & lose rather than withdraw? Just how far gone are skating fans? Its so stupid, imho....

enjoy it while it lasts... i forsee lean years ahead for skating fans...

Morganlee said:
That's like many fans on GS posts so why compain about GS, Are you avoiding giving us your lists of Boards that do not have a majority of favorites? One will do.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Michelle Kwan’s withdrawal from the Olympics was a topic of conversation at the office today. Some of my colleagues were very sympathetic, while others were not, and some expressed a general disdain for the sport of figure skating and for figure skaters. Some opinions expressed were:

It just wasn’t fair that Michelle was given the Olympic spot in the first place. What kind of sport is figure skating, anyway? If you’re injured, you can’t compete, plain and simple.

Michelle has been such a wonderful icon of the sport. She will be more famous that whoever does win the gold medal.

Michelle will turn pro immediately and make millions of dollars.

Michelle will remain eligible and compete in 2010.

Michelle will take the next four years ‘one year at a time’ and will continue on as an eligible skater only if she can do so, physically. She still wants to win an Olympic gold medal, and she's not ready to give up the quest yet.

Who cares, anyway? Figure skaters are all spoiled brats. It’s a rich man’s sport, and the average person would never try to participate in it.

Figure skating is nothing but scandal and hypocrisy. If it isn’t Tonya Harding whacking her competitor, it’s a judges’ scandal. What a joke.

I only watch figure skating during the Olympics. I can’t understand the sport, so I don’t bother to follow it. The skaters seem to be a bunch of phonies, anyway.

R.D.

Record Breaker
interesting variation of responses...sounds like people overall have mixed feelings on this topic.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Its so sad when posters who claim to love US figure skating & support the sport can be gleeful that Kwan is injured and cannot compete. Even if you hate her & all that she stands for, wouldn't it be better to see her compete & lose rather than withdraw? Just how far gone are skating fans? Its so stupid, imho....

enjoy it while it lasts... i forsee lean years ahead for skating fans...

I don't think it's so much happy that she is INJURED, than happy that she won't be COMPETING in the event (a distinction that should be clear, IMO). A lot of people are just plain sick of Michelle. They continually stuff her in our faces during the Olys.

I now see that cameras are starting to follow Emily Hughes around. Welcome, Emily, to the Olympic spotlight...you now are TRULY an Olympian.

S

SkateFan4Life

Red Dog said:
interesting variation of responses...sounds like people overall have mixed feelings on this topic.

They certainly do. None of my colleagues are mean-spirited, and many are sports enthusiasts. Figure skating seems to hit a nerve with a lot of people.

Johar

Medalist
I heard abour the same responses on other message boards. Many hate the Winter Olympics, call it a boring snoozefest and say skating is nothing more than ballroom dancing on ice.

S

SkateFan4Life

Johar said:
I heard abour the same responses on other message boards. Many hate the Winter Olympics, call it a boring snoozefest and say skating is nothing more than ballroom dancing on ice.

Yep, some folks just don't appreciate the wonders of skiing, sledding, and skating. They really miss out on some fabulous television viewing, IMHO.

CB1AB2

Medalist
WHAT MICHELLE DID SHOWED A LOT OF CLASS==STEPPING DOWN INSTEAD OF TRYING TO KEEP GOING AND NOT BEING ABLE TO GIVE IT HER ALL==THIS IS WHY SHE IS ADMIRED BY SO MANY MANY PEOPLE

cb

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
The comments on this thread, the high praises and well-wishes for Michelle have been very theraputic for me. I want to thank her for reviving my interest in figure skating that had been lagging when Paul Wylie retired from the amateur ranks. Her high moral character and classy behavior are just "bonus points" mixed in with her beautiful, beautiful skating...................she is, in the words of Mr. Button, "Simply the best"......................42

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Johar said:
Only if done badly. :rofl:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I'm sorry for Michelle, but I think it was the right choice. I don't want to sound mean, but I think her career is over.

nymkfan51

Medalist
#1Kerryfan said:
I'm sorry for Michelle, but I think it was the right choice. I don't want to sound mean, but I think her career is over.

Right ... sort of like John Kerry. ;)