Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I don't think it's so much happy that she is INJURED, than happy that she won't be COMPETING in the event (a distinction that should be clear, IMO). A lot of people are just plain sick of Michelle. They continually stuff her in our faces during the Olys.

I now see that cameras are starting to follow Emily Hughes around. Welcome, Emily, to the Olympic spotlight...you now are TRULY an Olympian.

Red Dog, please... there is no distinction because the only reason she isn't competing is because she's injured. Cause & Effect. We are all entitled to our opinions and yours on Michelle is very clear... and that's fine. But at lease keep it real and say YOU"RE sick of Michelle and her huge Olympic presence vs. trying to make these distinctions that don't exist. :sheesh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Fine, I'll grant you your wish and tell you straight up what I think. (You may not like it- brace for it)

I'm NOT tired of Kwan's "huge Olympic presence". (I might be pretty **** soon, though.) The media focus on Kwan's withdrawal doesn't really bother me all that much. What I AM tired of is that people are bent on dissing anyone who isn't either bowing at MK's feet or saying something really sentimental about her. A good example is that long Sasha thread that's going absolutely nowhere. Also, it seems to me that we in general here (I mean EVERYONE) are just on edge. Any little thing about Kwan that's not positive...boom, gets blown up into this big deal. It's so out of proportion. Why can't some of these fans portray the grace and dignity that they so praise Kwan for? This means not dissing anyone else that doesn't happen to want to give some big sob story about Kwan when asked about her. I've seen bashes on Emily Hughes and Cohen and some sportswriters (OK, maybe some of the writers deserve it, lol, but you get the drift) and no one says anything. There are other Olympians out there who have had their dreams crushed due to injury. Have we forgotten about them? MK is not any more special than those people are. More popular, yes, but not more SPECIAL. And I bet microphones aren't being shoved in their faces asking them how they feel about the pullout of their fellow teammates. Just shows how popular (or dramatic) skating is...

I'm on edge too, BTW. This is it. I don't feel like myself anymore! If I seem insensitive by this post, that's why. Hopefully that's the case with some of these fans as well. Emotions are running high everywhere. It's truly the Olympics! Let the skates (and the accompanying fights and "wuzrobbeds") begin!

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Fine, I'll grant you your wish and tell you straight up what I think. (You may not like it- brace for it)

I'm NOT tired of Kwan's "huge Olympic presence". (I might be pretty **** soon, though.) The media focus on Kwan's withdrawal doesn't really bother me all that much. What I AM tired of is that people are bent on dissing anyone who isn't either bowing at MK's feet or saying something really sentimental about her. A good example is that long Sasha thread that's going absolutely nowhere. Also, it seems to me that we in general here (I mean EVERYONE) are just on edge. Any little thing about Kwan that's not positive...boom, gets blown up into this big deal. It's so out of proportion. Why can't some of these fans portray the grace and dignity that they so praise Kwan for? This means not dissing anyone else that doesn't happen to want to give some big sob story about Kwan when asked about her. I've seen bashes on Emily Hughes and Cohen and some sportswriters (OK, maybe some of the writers deserve it, lol, but you get the drift) and no one says anything. There are other Olympians out there who have had their dreams crushed due to injury. Have we forgotten about them? MK is not any more special than those people are. More popular, yes, but not more SPECIAL. And I bet microphones aren't being shoved in their faces asking them how they feel about the pullout of their fellow teammates. Just shows how popular (or dramatic) skating is...

I'm on edge too, BTW. This is it. I don't feel like myself anymore! If I seem insensitive by this post, that's why. Hopefully that's the case with some of these fans as well. Emotions are running high everywhere. It's truly the Olympics! Let the skates (and the accompanying fights and "wuzrobbeds") begin!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Now that's what I'm talking about... Thank you. Now I know how you feel about something vs. this whole "people" thing you like... I generally respect that but like you said, I'm on edge as well and sincerely want to you know your opinion on these things vs. the "people."

this season is a mess and the fans are going crazy... but not in a good way.

flowjo35

On the Ice
Wow, another MK thread going OT. I hope Michelle goes home, heals and decides what she wants to do with the rest of her life. Good luck Michelle and get well.:)

Morganlee

Match Penalty
It depends a lot on who is viewing the Olympics. This season is not a mess. Once the time wasters got out of the way. We got game folks.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Morganlee said:
It depends a lot on who is viewing the Olympics. This season is not a mess. Once the time wasters got out of the way. We got game folks.

I sure hope so. :rock: GO everyone...or almost everyone...:cool:

millie

Medalist
In all this news about Michelle's withdrawing form the Olympics, where was her coach. Another thing, with Michelle's first practice, why didn't she go to a private rink to do her first practice. She has been practicing and training in private all season and then to go a public practice session withour her coach being there. Her coach was still in the U.S. when she had her first practice. Does anyone know any of the details, there hasn't been much talk about it. I am surprised nobody has brought this up. I might be tared and feathered for bringin this up but I did.

kyla2

Final Flight
nymkfan51

I LOVED your comeback about John Kerry-you can say that again!!! God Bless Michelle Kwan and may the future hold for her whatever she wants in life. She will remain the greatest figure skater of all time period.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
millie said:
In all this news about Michelle's withdrawing form the Olympics, where was her coach. Another thing, with Michelle's first practice, why didn't she go to a private rink to do her first practice. She has been practicing and training in private all season and then to go a public practice session withour her coach being there. Her coach was still in the U.S. when she had her first practice. Does anyone know any of the details, there hasn't been much talk about it. I am surprised nobody has brought this up. I might be tared and feathered for bringin this up but I did.

I heard her coach had "visa problems". IMO, what really happened is that someone with a similar name is on the "no-fly" list (Sen. Edward Kennedy was not allowed to board a plane in one instance because another person of that name was on the list; recently, a four year old child, on vacation with his family, was barred from a plane for the same reason.)

As to the location of her practice -- I think that Michelle went to the official practice so people wouldn't talk about how she was "hiding something" -- which is also why there were reporters present at her test skate (which did not happen for either Nancy or for Meno & Sand -- and Todd E got a bye to '92 Olys with no test skate at all).

millie

Medalist
Nobody has mentioned this in any of the posts. Is there rumblings with regards to Rafael and the Kwan camp? It's unusual that Michelle's fans hasn't mentioned it on this board. It seems something has been happening since before Michelle arrived in Turin without her coach. There is a lot of hush hush talk and spectulation on the MKF. Does anyone else hear about it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
millie said:
Nobody has mentioned this in any of the posts. Is there rumblings with regards to Rafael and the Kwan camp? It's unusual that Michelle's fans hasn't mentioned it on this board. It seems something has been happening since before Michelle arrived in Turin without her coach. There is a lot of hush hush talk and spectulation on the MKF. Does anyone else hear about it.

Very intriguing. The Grand Olympic Soap Opera, aka Figure Skating.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
millie said:

The last I heard of anything (outside of the MKF, where the matter is discussed) was the reports of the test skate, where Rafael was there, leading the cheers when Michelle landed the 3-jump combo, and she was wearing his "Russia" team jacket.

I wonder, though, whether it makes a difference if he was there or not. After all, it was a doctor who pronounced her injured -- and once that happened, Michelle's public promise (and her reputation for sportsmanship) made the decision inevitable.

millie

Medalist
attyfan said:
The last I heard of anything (outside of the MKF, where the matter is discussed) was the reports of the test skate, where Rafael was there, leading the cheers when Michelle landed the 3-jump combo, and she was wearing his "Russia" team jacket.

I wonder, though, whether it makes a difference if he was there or not. After all, it was a doctor who pronounced her injured -- and once that happened, Michelle's public promise (and her reputation for sportsmanship) made the decision inevitable.

The question is "Is Rafael still her coach"? Fact ot fiction.

mzheng

Record Breaker
millie said:
The question is "Is Rafael still her coach"? Fact ot fiction.
Millie, why you are so interesting to know about Rafael, MK's coach? Last I heard non-fans are tired by shuffle MK into their throat.

If I spill out the whole story I heard, cans of worm you are not willing to see anyway.....Last I heard he is still MK's coach.

Morganlee said:
What the heck does she need a coach for now?

I think people are more interested in whether she's had a coach within the last, oh, week.

Mzheng, don't be a tease, if you've got something, spill it.