Johnny Weir on NBC News Tonight | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir on NBC News Tonight

S

SkateFan4Life

This evening's broadcast of NBC Nightly News featured a segment on the new figure skating judging system. It showed clips of the Salt Lake City pairs fiasco, with Sele/Pelletier's incredulous expression when they finished second in the pairs competition, and the admission of the French judge that she had been collusion with other judges to vote for B & S so that they would vote for A & Z.

The piece showed the laptop computers the judges use, the instant playback they can select, the detailed breakdown of the technical moves, etc. The piece also stated that some of the top skaters do not particularly like the new system. Johnny Weir said he felt the new system has resulted in a lessening of creativity in the skater's programs, and that so many of the programs look alike, as the skaters do many of the same spins and other moves to pile up the points. I thought Johnny made some very good points.

Justafan

On the Ice
geisha said:
a quad before making any noise.

He is nowhere near top skaters and who cares what he said. For a male skater without a quad, this is just laughable. This is sport, not ballent. No wonder not many men watch figure skating.

I seriously wish you would get banned. Johnny has a quad..he hasnt used it yet. He also teaches skating in his off time..I think he knows a little bit about it. Let's hear YOUR credentials.

Johar

Medalist
geisha said:
a quad before making any noise.

He is nowhere near top skaters and who cares what he said. For a male skater without a quad, this is just laughable. This is sport, not ballent. No wonder not many men watch figure skating.

I care what he says. Really, what or who do you like in this sport?

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I care what he says too, he has a right to speak his opinion.

I like the interview he did with that Olympic Ice woman over coffee -- she called him a jock and he practically squealed "I am not a jock!" and then followed with "I'm an artiste!"