Who's next? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who's next?

geoskate said:
Yu-Na Kim already touches my heart. I love watching her simply for the sheer beauty of her skating, although she is also a great athlete. There are a lot of 'ifs', of course (injury, puberty, etc) as to how well she will progress in the next few years.

I think that she is at least as good artistically as Michelle Kwan was at age 15, so I think there is a chance that she could become one of the great ones, as Michelle did.
:clap::clap::clap: I agree. Of all the skaters that I mentioned in my first post, this is the one that I think might be able to bring the emotional content to her programs that seems to be slipping away from the sport. She seemed like such a forelorn little thing when she was training in Canada last year, suffering from homesickness and culture shock. This year she is brimming with vitality and confidence. :agree:

MM :)

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
I never thought I'd see another golfer the likes of Jack Nicklaus. Yet thirty years later, here is Tiger Woods, making the turn with 10 major championships, on his way toward matching the Golden Bear's 18.

Michelle :love: has been the most dominant and the most popular figure skater in the U.S. for a decade. Will we have to wait 30 years to see who's next?

Or only until next year?

Will Mao Asada win her first world championship in 2007, starting a string of nine straight trips to the world podium? Will fans in the United States and worldwide embrace her if she does?

Yu-Na Kim, also 15, beat Emily Hughes by 14 points, Kimmie Meissner by 17 and Alissa Czisny by 26 at junior worlds last year, and Katy Taylor by 35 at the junior GP final this year. Her potential appears to be on a par with Mao's.

Kimmie Meissner, 16. With two U.S. medals in her pocket already, will these Olympic games be the springboard for this rising star?

Katy Taylor, 16. The new Tara, this Sugarland Sprite is my pick for the next U.S. Champion if Sasha does not compete next year.

In 10 days someone will win a gold medal, and most of the present generation of champions will move on to the next stage of their lives. I for one think they will leave the sport in good hands.

MM :)

I don't think it's about who beat who by how many points. That's not what made Michelle great. Let us see- in order to equal her feat of 9 US titles we will have to wait for at least 8 more years. That is, if Sasha stuck around for 8 more years and won every year. Otherwise it will be someone else that starts the trend next year and wins 9 titles- so we are looking at 9 years minimum What is the probability of that happening? Close to zero, I would say.

It is too early to make any predictions about Mao Asada, Yu na Kim, etc.

Certainly there will be a new Olympic champion who will have something that Kwan has not been able to achieve. We all know that just one OGM does not make a skater great. I don't think of Tara or Sarah or even Oksana as a great skater. I would consider Irina, however. In addition to 5 world titles, 9 US titles and 2 Olympic medals Michelle has something that not many athletes display- grace under the worst type of situation. I think it will be very hard to find that combination. In fact I am not sure 30 years will be enough.

Vash

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Some people need to get over it. The Olympic medal records aren't going to forget who won what and it's always going to be there for anyone who's in doubt in the future. Either a skater achieved the ultimate or they did not, Those are just non debatable facts.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
there is definitely an upcoming crop of skaters with extraordinary athletic ability (like mao), but they are also in need of a lot of polish. only time will tell who will capture the hearts of the audience. personally, i think mao, with a little more artistry under her belt, has that potential. when you look at her performances this past year, it's easy to spot the faults that still give her a junior-ish quality, but she always looks so happy just to be on the ice and competing. that is heart-warming in itself. i also think yu-na kim has great artisty for her age that is almost on par with the early michelle. michelle was a bit of a jumping bean herself when she started (pre-salome era), but then he ermeged with great artistic qualities and her trademark change-of-edge spiral. i think yu-na has that potential too. but once again, only time will tell (think: naomi nari nam).

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
I think Mao has potential but it'll depend on what happens over the next few years as she grows up a little and matures. I think it's a little hard to say who will be next because most the girls are still pretty young and things change

Morganlee said:
I'm handeling things just fine. Most of us are enjoying this season. It's you and your ilk who can't seem to let things go and move on. Maybe a nice warm plate of brownies will help. I've been following figure skating since the 1950's and nobody is going back to watching ladies do doubles just so people like you can feel safe- nobody.
You've been warned about bashing individuals, skaters and the Board itself. One more attack on an individual, skaters or the Board and off you go.

Is there anything about figure skating you can say good things about? or is it the Board that you must bash? And are you an honest person and can answer the question in a truthful way, were you a member of GS in years gone by?

Joe

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
skatergirlaj said:
I think Mao has potential but it'll depend on what happens over the next few years as she grows up a little and matures. I think it's a little hard to say who will be next because most the girls are still pretty young and things change

I have more hope for Mao than I did for Tara--she never really grabbed me, but Mao...even though I don't like cutesy little-girl skating, I found her entertaining and I was a LOT more impressed with her 3a than Kimmie's (which was underrotated, I don't care what the technical caller said.) I do wish she'd get a few more triples, though. The 3a's not much use if she can't do all the others and she apparently can't.

I had forgotten about Alissa Czyny (sp? I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat...) I am not overawed by overdone extention (why I'm still not overly impressed by Sasha, who tends to look more like a contortionist than a dancer to me) but Alissa has beautiful lines. If she could get her jumping together, with her spins and spiral positions, and her balletic grace, she could really go somewhere. I hope her boot problem gets sorted out and she really gets it together next year. I like her and Bebe, but we'll see how it goes.

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
You've been warned about bashing individuals, skaters and the Board itself. One more attack on an individual, skaters or the Board and off you go.

Is there anything about figure skating you can say good things about? or is it the Board that you must bash? And are you an honest person and can answer the question in a truthful way, were you a member of GS in years gone by?

Joe
I have only answered people who attacked me first (and I might add I have not called anyone out by name or used foul speach) by calling me a troll/. It seems they are in the habit of attacking anyone not spouting the party line. You need to concern yourself with these facts.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
KwanfordWife of course you haven't offended and I for one thank you for speaking up. Also, thank you Joe.

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Kwanford Wife said:
:boohoo:

You are an idiot AND a troll... but since you won't go away, please at least contribute something substantial to the conversation or shut up. There, now at least you have a direct post to reference when whining about how mean everyone is being to you... GS is for grown ups... grow up or go away...

So sorry to my fellow posters if this offends, but I've officially had it...
It would seem YOU are the one name calling. Thanks for making my point. Ps- I always quote.

sk8addict

On the Ice
enjoyed

Tonichelle said:
Morgan, your point has been made, please move on and quit antagonizing other members.
I am rather enjoying Morgan's post. After all the nasty posts about Sasha I find them rather refreshing. Did you see what ESPN had to say?

sk8addict

On the Ice
rose covered

Mathman said:
I completely agree with your post, SusanBeth, and that was the question that I was raising. I am not worried about the athletic ability of future skaters. Each generation of athletes manages to leap higher, run faster, and so on, than the previous one did. Onward and upward, good for them.

But will they touch our hearts? Or -- if that's too maudlin a sentiment -- will they put anything on the ice that people will be willing to switch on their TV to see, or pay out their hard-earned to watch in person?

I wish I could borrow the rose-colored glasses of the people who think the sport is moving in the right direction.

MM
Greetings, You hit fight in the face. I wear my rose covered glasses to watch competitions because they take the glare off the ice & let me see the edges better. Skating is definately going in the right direction. It will just take the cheographers time to catch up.. If you're looking for the next Kwan look to the 13year olds. That's how old Michelle was when we first saw her in Texas making her senior debut. And we loved her skating right up to the point that she stopped training.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Kwanford Wife said:
You are an idiot AND a troll... but since you won't go away, please at least contribute something substantial to the conversation or shut up. There, now at least you have a direct post to reference when whining about how mean everyone is being to you... GS is for grown ups... grow up or go away...

So sorry to my fellow posters if this offends, but I've officially had it...

I have to say that I find this more offensive than anything MorganLee has posted in this thread. I think you'd be fooling yourself if you thought this kind of response would actually get someone to 'shut up' or 'go away.' I also find it disturbing that mods would seem to condone namecalling (that's how I read this thread).

Why am I feeding this ridiculous conversation?!! We've gotten hopelessly off track here. Maybe we should just kill this thread and start over!

new_europe2006

Rinkside
I think Mao Asada could be the next one if she survives puberty and doesn't face any major injuries. She can improve in some areas (as all skaters can do) but I think she can do it.

Morganlee

Match Penalty
sk8fanconvert said:
I have to say that I find this more offensive than anything MorganLee has posted in this thread. I think you'd be fooling yourself if you thought this kind of response would actually get someone to 'shut up' or 'go away.' I also find it disturbing that mods would seem to condone namecalling (that's how I read this thread).

!
Ty- you have to understand that these uber fans have no one to lash out at and are furious because their idol is no longer competitive. That is not our fault. Their anger has to land somewhere. Watching them is like watching someone shadow box. It's kind of politically incorrect, you know you shouldn't slow down to watch the car crash but you do anyway.:laugh: .

Last edited:
*sigh* I will try again. MorganLee, the reason that people think you are a troll is because, judging from your posts (and I have nothing else to judge you by), you have given the impression of being under the spell of an irrational obsession with Michelle Kwan.

It may not be true that your every waking thought is about Michelle -- how much you can't stand her, how glad you are that she is injured and gone from the scene, teehee Kwanfans -- it may not be true that your every waking thought is about this topic, but your every post on this forum is.

You profess an interest in Irina Slutskaya, Mao Asada, Yu-Na Kim, Sasha Cohen, Shizuka Arakawa, etc. But you do not post about Irina, Mao, Yu-Na, Sasha, etc., except tangentially in posts about Kwan.

You claim to care about the Olympics, but you have not contributed to any of the discussions of the pairs and mens programs (actual skating, rather than obsessing about someone who isn't skating) -- or anything else, except Kwan, Kwan, Kwan.

Yes, this is the Internet, and different standards of courtesy (alas) obtain than in the "real world." Still, you wouldn't walk into a room full of strangers and introduce yourself by spewing one insult after another at someone that many in the group admire, followed by criticizing the company itself. At the very least, that shows weak social skills, IMHO.

Michelle feels bad. Her fans feel bad. I do not understand what pleasure you derive from sticking out your tongue at us.

Mathman