Emanuel Sandhu Needs a New Coach | Golden Skate

Emanuel Sandhu Needs a New Coach

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well at least Kurt agrees with me. Kurt gave a short commentary after the men's short and came to the same conclusion as me - Emanuel has his most trouble with edge jumps - particularly the triple axel. I find it odd Emanuel can land a quad with seemingly no problem and then can't land his triple axel. I think he needs a new coach to work with him to help him get past this problem.

The Long program is next. Usually Emanuel pulls that one out of the fire if he has had a bad short. Let's see if he can do it. Would be a treat though if he could do two great programs in a row.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Sandra Bezick made a comment that insinuated Sandhu doesn't do enough training. She said he is so talented that she wants to wring his neck because its a waste of talent.

soogar

Record Breaker
Well a lot of guys have problems with the axel. Look at Evan. He has horrible technique on the triple axel and from the close-ups of Evan's feet, it looks like his foot was completely backwards when it finally left the ice. That jump was cheated a half rotation. And Evan has been training hard and he has a good coach. Frank had no trouble teaching Bowman a triple axel and Michelle has good technique on her jumps, sometimes the jump is hard for the skater.

mike79

On the Ice
Sandra Bezic is also an airhead who believes that she's the best thing to happen to figure skating ever. Dick Button made her shut up pretty quick about Sandhu.

I agree with you Lad, about what Kurt said. It definitely seems like not just nerves but bad technique with the Axel. That curved entry of his is way too long.

I can't see Sandhu staying eligible after this year. I'd like for him to stick around but he's been around for quite awhile now.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Also other top skaters that have a quad, have problems with a triple axel: Joubert and Lambiel.

Really sad, the guy is such a talent. Sandhu has more music in him than 10 Evgeny's. He dances to the music and that is the problem I see. The Russian method is simply to pull out of character and carefully prepare for the jump, and when jump is completed go back in character. That's easy for a show-off skater, but very difficult for a lyrical skater.

I'm sure Sandhu can do those jumps but I think he needs reaffirming from a sports psych.

Joe

Mafke

Medalist
Joesitz said:
The Russian method is simply to pull out of character and carefully prepare for the jump, and when jump is completed go back in character. That's easy for a show-off skater, but very difficult for a lyrical skater.
Joe

Interesting point, it's true that Plushenko and Slutskaya never let choreography get in the way of jump preparation. Others don't bother with choreography at all (Sokolova) and some don't go out of character (Klimkin).

Another problem of Sandhu's seems to be not-getting-over-it, letting one mistake throw off the rest of the program (Plushenko has this problem too, he's just so consistent it's very rarely a factor).

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
mike79 said:
Sandra Bezic is also an airhead who believes that she's the best thing to happen to figure skating ever. Dick Button made her shut up pretty quick about Sandhu.
I was clapping for Dick when he said, if you take away the jumps just watch him dance, he's excellent. In other words, Dick said...........here's your muzzle Sandra, put it on!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Dee4707 said:
I was clapping for Dick ....Dick said...........here's your muzzle Sandra, put it on!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

SO WAS I!!!! BRAVO, Dick!

I was to first to write the following tag-line on this forum:

Dick, put a muzzle on that ******!!!!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Really sad, the guy is such a talent. Sandhu has more music in him than 10 Evgeny's. He dances to the music and that is the problem I see. The Russian method is simply to pull out of character and carefully prepare for the jump, and when jump is completed go back in character. That's easy for a show-off skater, but very difficult for a lyrical skater.
Interesting observation. I feel that Kulik knew how to jump without "getting out of character".

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ptichka said:
Interesting observation. I feel that Kulik knew how to jump without "getting out of character".
As well as Alexei Yagudin.

Dee

Ptichka said:
Good observation! but Klimkin with a few others suffer the consequences of being lyrical which is my point. He is not your typical Russian, e.g., Griazev, Dobrin, etc. just as Johnny is not your typical US skater.

Joe

PS. I just realized you wrote Kulic not Klimkin. Can't really respond since I did not find Kulic all that much as an eligible but now I think he is brilliant. Extremely musical and a beautiful artist.

Last edited:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
To me, Sandhu's problem is that he pops the axel so much, even in practice, that his 'muscle memory' is now to pop the jump rather than to rotate it. I was ticked off at him but not at all surprised when he popped it. You know, Jeff went for it and fell but Eman...I don't know if Eman could handle a new coach. He needs a coach who refuses to work with him when he pops jumps in practice but I think he's too much of a diva to handle that. It is so unfortunate that he has all that talent and just can't seem to get the mental aspect of skating together. That quad-triple was absolutely gorgeous, the program was gorgeous (he got higher PCS than Jeff). He *could* do it, but I don't think he ever well. Watching him is just too emotional for me-one minute you're cheering wildly for an awesome 4-3 combo, only moments later to tear your hair out because he has popped the axel again.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
If he is popping jumps constantly in practice, that would mean Sandra is right and he is not training properly. She's not my favorite either, but she could be right about some things. I do enjoy Sandhu's skating so it is a shame that he can't pull it together.

jayta

Rinkside
I do agree. Sandra does know what she is talking about in a sense. I mean, she may not say it as eloquently. Or maybe in the right phrasing. But I think she sees so much talent and she just is so upset that it's wasted.

I used to love Sandhu. I still admire him. And I understand where the standoffishness comes from, since media attacks have him always on edge and doubting his ability. But I mean, the guy just can't ever get it together.

I'm a Canadian, so this isn't like nationality bias either. It's so frustrating to watch him. He has so much talent and now I think he's stalled.

For the past 2 years I feel he's stalled artistically and technically. Oh, he's toughened up. But I think that he doesn't have anyone to push him, to drive him. He's been with Joanne forever. He's too familiar with her and she with him. I really feel a skater sometimes cannot stay with one coach for his/her entire career. I mean even if it is to get a different perspective for a little while.

Anyways....Emmanuel can dance. But he could have stayed on the ground to do that. He didn't have to take to the ice. But he chose that. So now he's either got to make some changes to get him where he needs to be, or let young ones lead the way.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I agree with your post and maybe he should change coaches, not because she is a bad coach but because he needs a wake up call. It is very frustrating to watch him because we know what he is capable of. I think Sandra Bezik just has a way of saying things that comes across as overly rude and critical. At some parts of the short program she seemed to be laughing at skaters, so I can understand people being annoyed at her comments regarding Sandhu, but as a fan of his, I think "enough already, either do it right or do something else!" I haven't got time for the pain!!

Antilles

Medalist
I don't know know if another coach could stand him. That woman has got amazing patience. I've seen her be hard on him. At the 2005 Canadians, when he came off the ice after his long, she gave him all sorts of hell. The microphones didn't pick up her words, but you could see that she was really lighting into him. I also think she's been a good influence on his personal life. His family seems rather interesting.

I don't think it's a coaching issue with Emanuel. I think it's an issue with his mindset. I've seen numerous fluff pieces, interviews etc with him. CBC had one recently where his coach told him she thinks he wants modeling more than skating. It also showed him out late at night singing karaoke, instead of following a "proper" skating schedule. I don't know if he really wants it enough to work for it.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
I read in the paper today that his mom, Enza, made a last minute decision to go to the Olympics to support him. He wasn't expecting it at all. It was a caring gesture for sure, but knowing his "make-up" it probably didn't do his head any good.

lotusland

On the Ice
IMO, Kurt is only half right about Emmanual's jumps. While it is true the Axel is Emmanual's weakest or worst or least consistent jump ... the Loop is his best and most consistent jump. The Loop is absolutely gorgeous! These are both edge jumps.