I just love those British Eurosport guys! | Golden Skate

I just love those British Eurosport guys!

76olympics

On the Ice
Thanks to modern technology, I have seen several videos with the British Eurosport guys (Chris and Simon) commentating during worlds and Olympics. They are so enjoyable! They are positive, they don't talk too much, and the way they throw the conversational ball back and forth is hilarious. I think they make good points with good humor.

Does anyone else give a :thumbsup: to these guys?

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
76olympics said:
Thanks to modern technology, I have seen several videos with the British Eurosport guys (Chris and Simon) commentating during worlds and Olympics. They are so enjoyable! They are positive, they don't talk too much, and the way they throw the conversational ball back and forth is hilarious. I think they make good points with good humor.

Does anyone else give a :thumbsup: to these guys?

I like them alot. Do you know if they were eligible skaters at one time? edited to add: Is 'Chris' Christopher Dean? I can only hear the coverage-not watch unfortunately.

76olympics

On the Ice
OK- I found this on the Eurosport site:

"During the entire 2006 Torino Olympics send Eurosport commentators Chris Howarth and Simon Reed all your figure skating questions and comments and they will reply to a select number LIVE on the air! Howarth, the British Figure Skating Champion in 1980, has commentated on four different Olympic Games."

So-Chris is not Christopher Dean. (Robin Cousins wasn't the national champ in1980? I didn't know that!). There was a picture by this blurb of one guy--but it didn't say who it was. I must look further!

Here is the link from the page that I copied this blurb from:

http://forums.eurosport.com/showthread.php?t=722

There are many posted questions-I haven't heard them answering them live as of yet. I want to see a picture of these guys!

Ah! Hah! Information on Chris Howarth here:

http://www.europeonice.com/interviewchris03-1.htm

Last edited:

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
They rock!
As I am a skater, I enjoy watching skating on tv, but watching skating without listening Chris, Simon or Nicky-is not possible! I jost love their comments! After every competition, I call my best friend(also a skater) and we are talking about greatest comments! I remember a lot of things that Chris said, and I just love to act as them sometimes...:laugh:

Lois

Rinkside
76olympics said:
OK- I found this on the Eurosport site:

"During the entire 2006 Torino Olympics send Eurosport commentators Chris Howarth and Simon Reed all your figure skating questions and comments and they will reply to a select number LIVE on the air! Howarth, the British Figure Skating Champion in 1980, has commentated on four different Olympic Games."

So-Chris is not Christopher Dean. (Robin Cousins wasn't the national champ in1980? I didn't know that!).

Just to clear up the confusion, the British Championships are/were held in December, so Robin Cousins was 4-time British Champion from 1976-1979, since the 1979-1980 competitive season included the '79 British championships. Similarly, John Curry was not the British champion in 1976, as his Olympic season included the '75 British Nationals.

Lois

Mafke

Medalist
I don't have the English soundtrack to Eurosport anymore (there are about 20 or so language versions over the visuals). But I remember them fondly. My strongest memory was the European ice dance championship when G/P did the Sultan/Slavegirl routine. (year? 1997?)

They hardly talked at all and when they finished, the more aware one exhaled and said the performance was "Scarcely credible."

"Hmmm" I thought, "why didn't he like it?" It was only listening to them for a while that I realized that 'scarcely credible' is apparently a compliment in British usage (sort of like 'absolutely unbelievable").

antmanb

Record Breaker
They are great commentators. They give each other lots of banter and tease each other quite a lot. They're very good at keeping their fluff comments to the replays and Kisss and Cry chots and only calling elements through the program, though now with the crib sheet they're rather fond of telling you what should be coming up and if a skater has changed their plans.

They are very positive about the skaters and rarely say negative things for the sake of it, if required they'll say some constructive criticsm and then focus on any positive parts of the program.

About them as people i don't think Simon Reed has any history in competing in the sport. Chris Howarth was number 2 to Robin Cousins in his day...i think he went to the same Olympics as Robin when Robin won.

Ant

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
"...but we'll see...good marks....woooow I can tell you, those are very good marks! She doesn't know yet, but I look down on the computer and I can tell you- I've got it wrong! The judges have got the winner! Julia Sebestyen, 1st on the free, and leads now! With one skater to go,she can't be beaten! Julia Sebestyen is the 2004 European Champion! Liashenko 2nd, Sokolova 3rd. The bronze medal position possibly can change,but I don't think so-I think that would be how the medal stands now....." 2004 Europeans , ladies free

"She won the qualifications, she won the short, could she possibly win now?!"2003 Europeans ladies free (to Sokolova)

"The music- Victory, could it possibly be..." 2003 Europeans ladies free (to Slutskaya)

Our next skater is the reeeal superstar...She had to wait a long,long way since ther warm up...Goodness me...We wish her all the best...Hang on, this could be your day...17 years old, Carolina Kostner, from Italy" 2004 Europeans free, ladies

..............:rock: