Rudy Galindo lashes out at Johnny | Golden Skate

Rudy Galindo lashes out at Johnny

Taan

On the Ice
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...,3587394.story?coll=chi-olympics-topheadlines
Imitation is the highest form of praise, but Rudy Galindo still feels more flustered than flattered watching U.S. figure skater Johnny Weir dance on the ice at the Winter Olympics.

Galindo occasionally sees a spin or a jump in Weir's "Swan" program that looks familiar. Maybe an outfit stands out. He definitely recognizes Weir's flashy, effeminate persona.

"I worked so hard at creating a program, and then I'll see he's copied something later, whether it's a costume or a move," Galindo, 35, the last openly gay U.S. Olympic-caliber skater to come out 10 years ago, said on the phone Wednesday from his home in Reno.

The 1996 U.S. champion, who declared his sexual orientation before getting a chance to compete in the Games, knows Weir from the "Champions on Ice" tour on which both perform. The stage is not the only thing icy when they do.

"We don't get along so well because I have no respect for somebody who would copy me," Galindo said. "So we've built up this animosity."

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Must be a sloooowww newsday...........:scratch:

Mafke

Medalist
I don't get it, Galindo really think that once one skater does something, that means no other skater should ever do it again?

Flattery, Rudy, flattery.

SunshineSlayer

Rinkside
It turns out the most interesting thing in that article has nothing to do with Galindo at all.

Read the whole thing where it quotes a reliable source as saying that they are worried about Johnny's scores at these games because they know for a fact that there is at least one homophobic judge on the panel.

IDLERACER

Medalist
As the house of Windsor has repeatedly demonstrated, there's nothing unusual about a queen disapproving of a princess. :biggrin: Frankly, I think both of them stole their acts from Paul Lynde.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
As the house of Windsor has repeatedly demonstrated, there's nothing unusual about a queen disapproving of a princess. :biggrin:

If we hadn't flipped over to COP the last couple of seasons, I'd give that a 6.0!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Linny

Final Flight
Robert Dover

Pretty funny that they mention dressage rider and multiple Olympian Robert Dover at the end of the article. Robert's flamboyant in-your-face homosexuality makes Johnny's stylings look like crayon drawings compared to the Mona Lisa.

Linny

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
Ok this is probably going to come across as mean but oh well...This just comes across as plan ole jealousy because Johnny can be flashy and has gotten further in the sport than Rudy did. Sounds like someone has low self-esteem.

Mafke

Medalist
Have I missed something? Has Weir made any kind of public statement about his romantic inclinations? Or are people just making assumptions... They seem like perfectly reasonable assumptions under the circumstances, but I'm curious if they're backed up by any 'official' word.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Dover can't dress up for showing, though, so unless you know about him off the horse, you don't get the public impression. (For those who don't follow dressage, you wear a shadbelly tailcoat, top hat, white breeches and gloves to show at Grand Prix level. Equestrian sporst are NOT known for rewarding any sort of deviation from the norm.) Weir, on the other hand....

As the house of Windsor has repeatedly demonstrated, there's nothing unusual about a queen disapproving of a princess

ROTFLMAO....Idleracer, you're lucky I wasn't drinking anything or you'd owe me a new monitor.

Mafke, I don't know if Johnny has said anything officially, but everyone I know who is a skating professional and/or competitive skater (and I work at a club so that's a lot) is quite sure of Johnny's orientation. Also, as some of THEM are gay men, don't care about it as such, it's just many think he's a bit...OTT. It's not so much he's (likely, as I personally don't know for sure) gay, it's more that he's...well, it's things like the snarking about the Olympic accomodations. But hey, any press is good press, unless you're Bode "Flameout" Miller...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Justafan said:
Guess it's a good thing Denise Bielman doesn't feel that way. :)

Maybe she has a secret deal with the ISU, and is collecting royalties. ;) And maybe Rudy is just mad because he didn't make such a good deal like that with Johnny. ;)

DG

Doggygirl said:
Maybe she has a secret deal with the ISU, and is collecting royalties. ;) And maybe Rudy is just mad because he didn't make such a good deal like that with Johnny. ;)
:laugh: But you know, this got me wondering. Obviously you can't copyright a skating move, but it seems possible that you could legally trademark it. Comments from the lawyers on the board?

MM