Men's LP...play-by-play coverage/comments | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Men's LP...play-by-play coverage/comments

Saundy

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
I suspect the money NBC puts into the Olympics influences some of the Americans scores in the Olympics though.

I might be Canadian, but I will step up in saying that I think that's unfair of you to say.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I think Takahashi was robbed. Clearly, I am not alone.

quote from Eurosport:

We have to remember that Takahashi was in front of Buttle going into the free and so all he needs to do is level or better the Canadian's effort and he will have the bronze. It should be a sure thing because his programme was largely better than that of Buttle... And here comes the scores... WHAT IS ALL THAT ABOUT? The judges give the Japanese skater just 58 points in the technical part!!! 131.12 points tonight gives him a total of 204.89 points and only eighth position. Something fishy is going on there - he deserved much better, if not the bronze!

Jeff certainly keeps getting rewarded in the PCS department. But jumps are also part of the sport.

still gutted for Johnny.

Once again, Japanese guy ends up 4th. In 2002 I was cheering for Honda...

Very happy for Zhenya and Stephane!

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Whew...now time to go home to see Olympic Ice, followed by this competition. Hope that NBC shows Perren & some of the other early great skates, in addition to the top guys.

Jasper

Final Flight
CDMM1991 said:
Not that I'm complaining, but can someone explain to me why Takahashi's scores were so low?

I want know the same thing! He was laughing in confusion when he got the technical marks, and to me they seemed way too low to me as well. I mean, even lower than Johnny's and Brian's?!

I still feel like Jeffrey's program was better because he had slightly better jumping passes (Daisuke had too many scratchy landings) and because he didn't stumble in his footwork like Daisuke. But weird scores.

soogar

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Evan was only barely better than Johnny in the long and still beat him by a whooping 16 points in the long. Evan is one of the most overscored skaters I have ever seen. Thank goodness he is inferior enough even getting embarassingly overscored he is still not good enough to medal. His scores are an example of what puts shame to skating judging though. They are a disgrace. I suspect the money NBC puts into the Olympics influences some of the Americans scores in the Olympics though.

Yeah right. Evan is a very sharp skater. Even in the SP which he totally bombed, he sold that choreo and he looked sharp throughout. I feel really bad that Evan bombed the SP, but at least he made up some ground. Johnny would have been up there if he hadn't forgotten his sh!t combos. Why can't he just tack a 2t on one of his combos?

At least Klimkin will hang around for Vancouver. :rock: Though I wonder if his body will hold up. He probably doesn't know what to do besides compete.

And yay for Plushenko for proving why he is the rockstar of skating. And I've very happy for Lambiel for getting the silver.

rob43

On the Ice
Is 2-5 the same as 1-4 at 05 Worlds?

And look at Matt in 7th!!! Sucks to miss a medal but when has the USA ever put 3 men top 7.

Plushy clearly won- so it'll be nice that there's no controversy- and unfortunately everyone else left too much in the air to really make claims beyond what everone received. I'm just in shock that Johnny did the same thing at Oly that he did in the Nationals LP.

EvanLysacekFan

On the Ice
I'm so incredibly proud of Evan... to bounce back like that and skate so well!

I feel like he really deserved a medal.... if only he didn't have that fall in the SP.

He still has a lot to be happy about, and I'm sure he'll be around for Vancouver. :D

Jasper

Final Flight
STL_Blues_fan said:
I think Takahashi was robbed. Clearly, I am not alone.

quote from Eurosport:

We have to remember that Takahashi was in front of Buttle going into the free and so all he needs to do is level or better the Canadian's effort and he will have the bronze. It should be a sure thing because his programme was largely better than that of Buttle... And here comes the scores... WHAT IS ALL THAT ABOUT? The judges give the Japanese skater just 58 points in the technical part!!! 131.12 points tonight gives him a total of 204.89 points and only eighth position. Something fishy is going on there - he deserved much better, if not the bronze!

Jeff certainly keeps getting rewarded in the PCS department. But jumps are also part of the sport.

still gutted for Johnny.

Once again, Japanese guy ends up 4th. In 2002 I was cheering for Honda...

Very happy for Zhenya and Stephane!

I think Takahashi was robbed of 4th, but not 3rd. The Japanese skater didn't jump that well either tonight, so the statement, "Jeff certainly keeps getting rewarded in the PCS department. But jumps are also part of the sport." is pretty ridiculous!

Plus, Takahashi and Buttle were practically even going into tonight's skate. 0.4 or whatever is nothing.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
"There are 1,000s of Russians here...."

THE ANTHEM FOR ROSSIYA!!!!

Plushy is being announced as OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST!!!! Silver to Lambiel! Bronze for Buttle! I love them all!!!!!!!

THE BEST won...though my heart aches for Johnny (& Camille).

Now I'm really leaving...Ciao!

EvanLysacekFan

On the Ice
rob43 said:
Plushy clearly won- so it'll be nice that there's no controversy- and unfortunately everyone else left too much in the air to really make claims beyond what everone received.

Yeah, he did... but his scores were still terribly inflated. He's a great technical skater but his programs aren't exciting.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
Huh? Sorry - he ended up eighth!!!!!

i maybe confusing with that year worlds then.. or was he in 4th after the short?

i guess that's an improvement for the Japanese guys.

Soogar - I feel the same way about Klimkin. He had a lot of injuries over the years, I hope his body will hold up. May be the latest surgeries he had will help him.

Saundy

On the Ice
rob43 said:
Is 2-5 the same as 1-4 at 05 Worlds?

I meant 2-4. If Plushie hadn't been there, and had the exact same results come about. The Worlds '05 podium would be exactly the same (Lambiel, Buttle, Lysacek).

Jasper

Final Flight
I also want to say BRAVO! to Evan for making the best comeback of the day. Good for him, I'm so proud and impressed. He's made Torino into a great experience, and he'll definitely be around for Vancouver.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jasper said:
Why did Takahashi get SUCH low technical scores?

OMG, Silver for Stephane, Bronze for Jeffrey, 4th for Evan! I couldn't be more satisfied with the results.
I'm confused, are these the medal winners??

Dee

Mafke

Medalist
Jasper said:
Indeed.
And I agree that Johnny is a plonker. He doesn't understand the system well if he is improvising so much in the FS and forgetting to do 8 jumping passes. That's two straight times he's gone nuts in his FS.

He's young (I'm not talking about chronological age) and kind of a head case. He was riding high and headed for a fall (very predictable). Let's see how he handles it. But all in 5th in olympic debut is not bad. I want to see what he does at worlds (I'm a long view kind of guy).

In sum, I think he's the good kind of head case as he's gotten stronger after each disaster and not really repeated the same mistake twice. Didn't he change LP's between US Nats and now? Now maybe he'll learn to stick to the program.

enlight78

Medalist
Maybe there was a computer error with takahashi scores, which will lead to another skating scandle giving us a completely different judging system involving colors instead of numbers.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
YEAH, JEFF! Great to see my favorite guy on the podium. But :no: for Johnny. What was he thinking?!

Well, my predicition that Lambiel would outskate Johnny but Joubert would not was right, at least.

Saundy

On the Ice
For pete's sake! Why on earth can't CBC show the medal ceremony instead of putting on the stupid news?! I only have 2 channels up here!

Is it on NBC?