Cohen avoiding the press | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Cohen avoiding the press

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Apparently she is avoiding the media now. I don't know if all the Michelle questions were the last straw, or whether she just wants to focus, or both. But, I say good. your opinion may vary.

Cohen and Meissner were at the same rink, but Cohen left as soon as the reporters came, and Kimmie stayed behind to talk to them.

two articles:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=2332895

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...216,0,5217751.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

OMG. That is so strange.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Well, I think she is smart to do so. It's just another distraction when you are trying to concentrate on your job. She certainly doesn't need that.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Grgranny said:
Well, I think she is smart to do so. It's just another distraction when you are trying to concentrate on your job. She certainly doesn't need that.

She sure doesn't. She needs all her concentration during her programs and by talking to the media before it ever happens certainly will take away what little bit she can garner. And no, I don't care if Sasha medals or not. I am more interested in Kimmie, Emily, Irina and others than I am in Sasha. So if she doesn't give interviews to the media, good. If this is what she needs to do, then she should do it.

What I think is telling is that the reporters were told she wouldn't be at the rink so she couldn't meet with them yet she was there. That, in and of itself, is wrong of her team. Not her, mind you, but her team. They should have just told the media Sasha wouldn't be giving interviews anymore.

And I, for one, think Kimmie is charming and is handling her first Olympics well as Emily is.

But I do agree with nymkfan. The mud slung at Kwan for being secretive in 1998 and not enjoying the "Olympic experience" will, in all probability, be slung at Cohen when she doesn't win the gold medal. Far as I'm concerned, it's a different set of standards.

R.D.

Record Breaker
What I think is telling is that the reporters were told she wouldn't be at the rink so she couldn't meet with them yet she was there. That, in and of itself, is wrong of her team. Not her, mind you, but her team. They should have just told the media Sasha wouldn't be giving interviews anymore.

Yeah. I wonder why they didn't just flat out say that she wouldn't do any more interviews. May as well tell them no straight up rather than try to "avoid" them.

millie

Medalist
Red Dog said:
Yeah. I wonder why they didn't just flat out say that she wouldn't do any more interviews. May as well tell them no straight up rather than try to "avoid" them.

Nicks is against all this media blitz. He said that there will be a media blackout until after the Games. Sasha also said the same thing on her forum. Probably she is listening to her coach and her camp. Differnt camps work different ways. Kimmie and Emily is getting a lot of coverage by Katie on The Today Show. She makes a point to bring up the other skater's names but avoids Sashas. Do you think that she is pissed. She even said the Emily and Kimmie are there favourites.

Good luck to all the skaters.:)

SusanBeth

Final Flight
The poor girl gets in trouble for what she does say and what she doesn't say. I'd say to heck with it and go about my business in her place. This way she can get in trouble for not talking at all and save time.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
not being mentioned by the press could only work FOR Sasha, IMO.

I hope so Red Dog! The other day, I'm not sure if it was on NBC or my local news, but they were talking about the forgotten skater....Kimmie! They said everyone knows that Michelle withdrew and Emily took her place, but there are three skaters on the team and the forgotten skater is Kimmie. I was LOL, what about Sasha?! :laugh: They didn't say her name once.

Ack! I'm getting so nervous for Sasha though! I'm going to be dying Tuesday and Thursday (well, Wednesday too)! ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sasha who? Nobody cares about her. Kimmie's the media darling, Kwan's the legend, and Emily is the fresh face. :agree:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Lanie said:
No - it deserves lots of these: :chorus: :D

I've yet to finish reading this whole thread...but...that was my sentiment exactly!!! :chorus: :chorus: :chorus:

Divas Rule - especially Dancin' Divas! May Sasha do was is best for her, to set herself up for her best shot. And I hope the same thing for all other competitors. They are not all in the same place. Different strategies for different people, and different times in life/careers. I hope the Ladies event ROCKS. I will remember the performances long after I've forgotten what happend with any competitor and the media.

DG

Last edited:

registered

On the Ice
Red Dog said:

From this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=2332895

"U.S. Figure Skating arranged a media day so reporters would have at least one chance for access to Cohen and Meissner. Originally scheduled for Wednesday, it was later moved to Thursday. Then it was announced that the media would get only Meissner because, "Sasha Cohen will not be practicing at this time and thus will not be available."

Reporters who arrived early Thursday to see Meissner practice were surprised to see Cohen on the ice."

So she did announced in advance that she won't talk to the media. Some were surprised to see her in the building practicing, but that's a different story. Members of the press knew very well that they won't get to interview Cohen, only Meissner. Funny thing is that some pushy, inconsiderate journalists turned out to be quite sensitive souls, suspecting it's them, who got a cold shoulder from an athlete. They believed it could only go one way! :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
registered said:
From this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=2332895

"U.S. Figure Skating arranged a media day so reporters would have at least one chance for access to Cohen and Meissner. Originally scheduled for Wednesday, it was later moved to Thursday. Then it was announced that the media would get only Meissner because, "Sasha Cohen will not be practicing at this time and thus will not be available."

Reporters who arrived early Thursday to see Meissner practice were surprised to see Cohen on the ice."

Yes, but notice they said that she would not be practicing at this time. And yet they found her there. Couldn't she have left earlier?

registered

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Yes, but notice they said that she would not be practicing at this time. And yet they found her there. Couldn't she have left earlier?

Why, she didn't have to hide, it's not like media traveled all the way there to talk to her. She've cancelled her conference in advance.

Anyhow, I've respnded to your previous point, when you suggested Cohen should announce that she won't talk to the journalist. Seems to me, it's just what she did.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I see it this way: some from USFS told them that Cohen wouldn't be there to take interviews. They didn't come out and EXPLICITLY say that she won't be doing interviews...just that she would be THERE for them.

registered

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Well, I see it this way: some from USFS told them that Cohen wouldn't be there to take interviews. They didn't come out and EXPLICITLY say that she won't be doing interviews...just that she would be THERE for them.

Ah, the nitpicking. The way I see it the the media was promiced to get to talk to Meissner, and Meissner they've got. "Not being there" (for the media) meant that Sasha won't be doing interviews -- how else could you interprete the statement?

Actually now, that I gave it more thought, "Not being there" explicitly for the media, meant that Cohen COULD still be in the building, just won't talk to the press. Where's the controvercy?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Because of the way it was said: she's not practicing AND THUS will not be available.

I think it was a good idea by her to refuse the press, however in my heart of hearts I felt that maybe it could have been done a little more tactfully. JMO, though. No use arguing the point. What's done is done.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I still say time out for an interview is not going to effect an elite athlete especially if they are "answering the same old questions". Most normal people are quite capable of taking a break and then getting back on task. Do these atletes have ADD? In fact I would think it would be good for them to take some time from practice, practice, practice. If they don't have an Oly program ready by now it's never going to be ready. All that should be left to do at this time is fine tuning. Another point is that IMO accepting a postion on the Oly team should include being available for reasonable amounts of PR. Cohen usually shines under media attention so what's to fear? I think the same about any athlete that's there.