Plushenko on future... | Golden Skate

Plushenko on future...

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight

Enero

On the Ice
Don't know if this is a good idea. I hope it works out the way he hopes.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Barring injuries??? Hopefully he won't need surgery again.
Honestly I'm going to be selfish and hope that he sticks around, he's amazing. :bow:

mzheng

Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
He has stated that he will skate in Calgary. He plans to stick around until 2010, and barring injuries to defend his title.

He said that it really doesn't pay financially to stick around in the amature ranks (GP victory is only $5K) but there are still other QUAD JUMPS to be learned and more titles to be won! Bravo, Zhenya!!!!
Thanks. I was wondering if he will retire after winning OGM.

:clap: :rock: good for him to stay......another legend in makeing.

kyla2

Final Flight
Plushenko

He is an eminently likable person and I wish him luck with whatever he chooses to do. He will certainly keep the competition on their toes. I hope he keeps his health and stays uninjured.

jan

On the Ice
Plushenko's style of skating now will soon get old. He has slowed down significantly in the past few years...great technical content but IMHO Matt S, Evan L and Buttle had far superior programs than him...speed, transitions, balanced programs etc. I think if he does stay in he will have to address these issues.
On his side is his competitive greatness and jumps!

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
jan said:
Plushenko's style of skating now will soon get old. He has slowed down significantly in the past few years...great technical content but IMHO Matt S, Evan L and Buttle had far superior programs than him...speed, transitions, balanced programs etc. I think if he does stay in he will have to address these issues.
On his side is his competitive greatness and jumps!

You took the words right out of my mouth!

equestrianguy

On the Ice
To be honest I felt nothing watching Plushy's Godfather...and it looked like he felt nothing. Like Uncle Dick said...just arms moving and jumps. Yes, the highlight of the LP was Evan Lysechek...What a great comeback!!!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I do believe that he honestly intends to stay for another 4 yearsm but I sincerely doubt it'll happen.

Enero

On the Ice
I agree. I love Plushy, but I think once he starts losing to the competition that's nipping at his heals he'll bow out gracefully. At least I hope...

machiavelli

Rinkside
Maybe he's trying to go for an Olympic performance that will be remembered (Like Alexei's!) Because I sure won't remember his performance from here for long.

K-Mo

On the Ice
I thought the whole evening was rather forgettable. Ugh! I always get so excited for the Olympics and then I am disappointed with the results. Let's hope the rest of the events are more memorable. While we're hoping, let's see more of a real competition at Worlds instead of tonight's lackluster splatfest.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
I do believe that he honestly intends to stay for another 4 yearsm but I sincerely doubt it'll happen.
Why, if he works in a reduced schedule, I think it could happen. He just had his surgery which seems successful.
And in forseen future, I don't see anyone match his consistancy.

Vash01

Medalist
I am thrilled to hear that Plushy planss to compete in Calgary because I am planning to be there. I hope he won't change his mind.

I think every skater felt the Olympic pressure tonight, except may be Buttle. IMO coming in 6th SP may have taken some pressure off him. This is the best I have seen him skate, even with mistakes. This was not a typical Plushenko performance. You could see he felt the pressure. To his credit he executed all his major elements (except for one doubled flip). I felt bad for Johnny because he really seemed to be feeling the pressure. He was just not himself.Same with Lambiel. Even his spins were slow. Joubert could not deliver the jumps that are his strength. It is all about Olympic pressure. It is DIFFERENT! Plushenko is a champion because he could deliver the program inspite of the white hot pressure (he missed his end pose somewhat- it looked strange).

I am so happy to hear that he wants to do more difficult jumps and defend his title in 2010. It is hard to tell if his body could handle that but I admire his attitude.

Congratulations to a great champion!

Vash

sarahmistral

On the Ice
I'd be surprised if it wasn't anticlimactic for him; after all that chasing, and after some impressive performances along the way, there must be a letdown from earning the gold in the way that he did, uninspired, IMO. He is really better than that, but I think Olympic pressure got to him as well, and he eked it out. With some ridiculously superior jumping, of course:), and nerves of steel. Good for him to want to stay in the game, although I have to say, I wonder if anyone will ever beat him, even if they earn the victory, given the judges' tendency to inflate his PCS scores when he had nothing going on in the way of a program. But that's another thread...

cheers,
Sarah M.

zeytin

Rinkside
it's really surprising that plush will continue to compete!!! i really thought last night that was the last time he was competing. but he goes on!!!
if plush retires, the mens event wont be interesting to watch, IMO. look at silver and bronze medalist, they won with 2-3 visible mistakes. remember SLC, the bronze medalis landed 3 quads!!! here is the difference....
hope plush will go on skating!!

zeytin

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
To me the highlight of the evening was Lysacek´s freeskate. Absolutely enjoyable and really fantastic!!!

About Plushenko I would say that although he might wish to stay in eligible skating until 2010 Olympics, I very much doubt that his body will allow it. Besides, with all his National, Europeans and Worlds titles and now having both gold and silver medal from the Olympics, there has been no other male singles skater equal to his achievements for a loooong time, I believe.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I BASICALLY like Plushenko's skating and respect his abilities and all, BUT --

he is really not one of those skaters I want to have to sit through 4 more years of. You know how some skaters you really enjoy for a few or several seasons, then you get kind of tired of them? For me, Plushenko is one of those.

However, I have to agree with Jaana that I doubt his body's going to allow it. I'm surprised he did as well this season as he did, quite honestly.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
I BASICALLY like Plushenko's skating and respect his abilities and all, BUT --

he is really not one of those skaters I want to have to sit through 4 more years of. You know how some skaters you really enjoy for a few or several seasons, then you get kind of tired of them? For me, Plushenko is one of those.

However, I have to agree with Jaana that I doubt his body's going to allow it. I'm surprised he did as well this season as he did, quite honestly.

My thoughts exactly. My first thought when I saw this info was "holy crap!" The second was "good grief!"