Plushenko on future... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko on future...

soogar

Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
He has stated that he will skate in Calgary. He plans to stick around until 2010, and barring injuries to defend his title.

He said that it really doesn't pay financially to stick around in the amature ranks (GP victory is only $5K) but there are still other QUAD JUMPS to be learned and more titles to be won! Bravo, Zhenya!!!!

partially translated from:

http://turin.gazeta.ru/turin2006/2006/02/17/a_543627.shtml

and

http://sport.gazeta.ru/sport/2006/02/17_n_543626.shtml

I think that maybe the Russian fed made sweet deals with Klimkin and Plush for them to hang around for another Olympics. I don't know how Klimkin will do, but the Russian boys are too inconsistent to secure 3 spots at Worlds competitions and the Russians really need that 3rd spot to develop talent to replace those two guys. Not that Klimkin is the most consistent, but he is much better than Gryazev and company. At least he finished 11th here and had this been Worlds, this would have been good enough for Russia to get a 3rd spot. There is no replacement for Plush, but Plush just looked plain tired last night. I hope that was a case of Olympic nerves and now that he has won his OGM, he can go back to being the showman skater that he is. Even though he's very young, Plush has been around forever.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
He will probably end up like Michelle - injured and off the team in 2010(except he will always have his gold medal so it won't be such a big deal)

Enero

On the Ice
soogar said:
I ... but Plush just looked plain tired last night. I hope that was a case of Olympic nerves and now that he has won his OGM ...

I was wondering if it was just me. Good to know I'm not the only one that felt this way. He looked pretty tired the night of the SP too. For a minute there I actually wondered if he was under the weather.

FreeKatie - That's exactly what I don't want to happen to Plushy, and what I fear will happen. I'd hate to see him go out that way. Even though he already has his OGM.

Saundy

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
I BASICALLY like Plushenko's skating and respect his abilities and all, BUT --

he is really not one of those skaters I want to have to sit through 4 more years of. You know how some skaters you really enjoy for a few or several seasons, then you get kind of tired of them? For me, Plushenko is one of those.

However, I have to agree with Jaana that I doubt his body's going to allow it. I'm surprised he did as well this season as he did, quite honestly.

My thought exactly!

IndieBoi

On the Ice
Enero said:
Don't know if this is a good idea. I hope it works out the way he hopes.

I agree... If some skaters with an ounce of artistry and passionate choreography can come up with consistent jumps and quads, he'll be in big trouble. Would be sad to see him bow out on a decline. But he's an awesome competitor, so, best of luck whatever he decides.

carol45

Rinkside
It's getting way boring!

I've been bored with him for the last two years and was really hoping that this year would be it. There is nothing new - you know exactly what is going to happen. As I said on another thread here - jumping passes connected to nothing, flailing arms, head tossing, glare at the judges, "squat" spins...even the greatest quad/triple can be boring where there is precious little else.

The great skaters draw you into their performances. Their choreography and connection with the music somehow dissolves the divide between performer and spectator. This is the great gift they give to an audience - making what they are doing almost a shared emotional experience.

Plushenko, last night, was not connected to anybody - other than himself and he even seemed bored with that. I was watching with a friend who does not know skating well and after it was over, he said, "What was that? Why should I care about it?"

My greatest fear is that we have a scoring system that not only rewards such a performance but perpetuates the charade that what we saw last night was one the the greatest performances in skating history because the point total was so high. Bullshit!

If Plushenko keeps this up and if the judges keep rewarding him, I would hope that other skaters like Buttle and Lambiel and Lysacek and some other new faces we saw last night don't try to out jump him but continue to come up with programs that are creative, innovative....and athletic.

Figure skating is already in trouble - look and see how many empty seats you will see on the "tours" this spring and at Skate America...Canada....etc. We need skaters who can connect with audiences rather than posturing, jumping machines.

Mafke

Medalist
IndieBoi said:
Would be sad to see him bow out on a decline.

Why? One of the reasons skating isn't taken seriously as a sport is the ridiculous obsession some have with leaving at the top. As if Steffi Graff had retired after 1988 (a grand slam and olympic gold medal, what more was there for her to accomplish)
A decline is a normal part of a sports career and nothing to be ashamed of.

sk8addict

On the Ice
reduced schedule?

mzheng said:
Why, if he works in a reduced schedule, I think it could happen. He just had his surgery which seems successful.
And in forseen future, I don't see anyone match his consistancy.
Haven't we learned the hard way that a reduced schedule results in more injuries? Brian Boitana says the only way to stay healthy & keep skating for years is to train every day.

soogar

Record Breaker
sk8addict said:
Haven't we learned the hard way that a reduced schedule results in more injuries? Brian Boitana says the only way to stay healthy & keep skating for years is to train every day.

We know a reduced schedule sure didn't work for Michelle.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
soogar said:
I think that maybe the Russian fed made sweet deals with Klimkin and Plush for them to hang around for another Olympics.
I don't think the Russian fed has anything to offer. At least nothing that can compare to $$$ he can get from touring.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
Mafke said:
Why? One of the reasons skating isn't taken seriously as a sport is the ridiculous obsession some have with leaving at the top. As if Steffi Graff had retired after 1988 (a grand slam and olympic gold medal, what more was there for her to accomplish)
A decline is a normal part of a sports career and nothing to be ashamed of.

Not saying that he should not continue... if he maintains his competitiveness then by all means, yeah. But it'd be sad to see if he bows out because the competition becomes too big an obstacle that there's no other real option but to leave. Steffi retired when she was still on top. She had just dismissed Hingis at the French Open final and her farewell match was at the Wimbledon final, where she lost due to Davenport bringing her game -- and not because Steffi was on a decline.

Whatever Plush decides, he's had a long enviable career... it's not like he snatched the OGM by some miracle and ran away with it.

Last edited:

Jasper

Final Flight
I hope he retires immediately to make the competitions more exciting. He's no fun to watch and the judges score him ridiculously.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
carol45 said:
I've been bored with him for the last two years and was really hoping that this year would be it. There is nothing new - you know exactly what is going to happen. As I said on another thread here - jumping passes connected to nothing, flailing arms, head tossing, glare at the judges, "squat" spins...even the greatest quad/triple can be boring where there is precious little else.

I'm getting bored with him too real fast. During his LP I was like, man this is really becoming figure jumping now. He didn't even bother to finish his final spin to the end of the music since all the jumps had guaranteed the hardware in the bag. But hey, he plays by the rules and so long as noone else can challenge his jumps then his (lack of) artistry is a moot point.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Congrats to the man, he deserved the gold.

BUT - I think his schtick will get old quickly. I do not see him growing artistically - if some criticized Michelle for stagnating, I think Yevgeni will have an even more difficult time updating his style.... Just my op of course; he might surprise us.

I just wish we could get a glimpse of some Yag or Matt soul! I have never been moved by Plushenko's skating - amazed, but never touched. Yes, I know its a sport but we know skaters who combine the style and heart with the prowess.

Matt and Evan - beautiful skating last night! :bow: Tenorguy

curious

Final Flight
Jasper said:
I hope he retires immediately to make the competitions more exciting. He's no fun to watch and the judges score him ridiculously.

yes,he should retire immediately so those who can't land quad combos to save their lives win lol!:biggrin:

Kasey

Medalist
soogar said:
I don't know how Klimkin will do, but the Russian boys are too inconsistent to secure 3 spots at Worlds competitions and the Russians really need that 3rd spot to develop talent to replace those two guys. Not that Klimkin is the most consistent, but he is much better than Gryazev and company. At least he finished 11th here and had this been Worlds, this would have been good enough for Russia to get a 3rd spot.

I like Klimkin a lot, but he's had a heck of a lot more years to become consistant than Griazev has....And Andrei was 11th last year at worlds as well (the third spot was lost with Dobrin's 17th place finish.....even if Griazev had medaled, how would that have kept the magic 13?), and 12th the year before in his first worlds. Don't count him out yet, and to say that Klimkin is "much better" than him, with a five year head start on working on competitive nerves with not much to show for it, is, IMO, wrong.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
equestrianguy said:
To be honest I felt nothing watching Plushy's Godfather...and it looked like he felt nothing. Like Uncle Dick said...just arms moving and jumps. Yes, the highlight of the LP was Evan Lysechek...What a great comeback!!!

LOL, apparently the judges feel differently about Plushenko´s skating, and only that matters in a competition.

Kasey said:
And Andrei was 11th last year at worlds as well (the third spot was lost with Dobrin's 17th place finish.....even if Griazev had medaled, how would that have kept the magic

I think that the third place for Russians was lost because of the combined effort of Griazev and Dobrin. If either of them or both of them had done better, that thrid place would have been there in Olympics and Worlds.

Last edited:

alina

Rinkside
Jasper said:

:biggrin: it´s no fun to watch skaters falling and falling.......it´s pain for the eyes to watch a sp like Lysacek did .

Vitacus

Rinkside
:clap: I would be delighted to see him stay eligible for several more years as he brings something very special to any competition. :bow: