Plushenko on future... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko on future...

soogar

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
I don't think the Russian fed has anything to offer. At least nothing that can compare to $$$ he can get from touring.

Reportedly Russian Fed gave Alexei Yagudin a cool $325,000 for winning his OGM and to stay eligible until his hip gave out (I know I read this somewhere and maybe Feather Boa can back this up). I'm pretty sure Plush will get a similar deal.

Now as to what will be a sweet deal for Klimkin will probably be considerably less. Maybe they'll throw $5,000 his way to keep him in the game. Ilia would probably be happy just receiving his "salary" to continue skating.

soogar

Record Breaker
Kasey said:
I like Klimkin a lot, but he's had a heck of a lot more years to become consistant than Griazev has....And Andrei was 11th last year at worlds as well (the third spot was lost with Dobrin's 17th place finish.....even if Griazev had medaled, how would that have kept the magic 13?), and 12th the year before in his first worlds. Don't count him out yet, and to say that Klimkin is "much better" than him, with a five year head start on working on competitive nerves with not much to show for it, is, IMO, wrong.

I don't know about that. He is a fairly consistent skater if you look at his results over the years. He probably peaked when Russia had Abt, Yagudin and Plush competing so he never had a chance to really go to worlds with no pressure on him. Then in these years when he could have gone and worked out the kinks, he was battling injury and dealing with coach changes. He's not a lucky skater but I think that with some stability and maturity, he could do very well. Not everyone matures at the same time, but unlike Gryazev, Klimkin has a lot of competitive fire. I think Andrei is so talented but he just doesn't seem like he wants it. Look at how fast Evan overtook Andrei, a skater he always finished second to in juniors. Evan isn't more talented than Andrei, but Evan has fire and wants it more.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I love Plushy too, he's my current male fav still skating. I hope he does stick around, but often comments made in the fevor of an Olympic medal doesn't sound the same in the clear light of day weeks later.........I guess we'll see.....:yes: 42

Kasey

Medalist
Jaana said:
I think that the third place for Russians was lost because of the combined effort of Griazev and Dobrin. If either of them or both of them had done better, that thrid place would have been there in Olympics and Worlds.

Yes, it was the combined effort, although many people at the time were blaming Griazev exclusively. But even if he had medaled, that would have required Dobrin to finish no less than 12th. It was asking far too much of BOTH of them, but Dobrin, at his first worlds, as essentially a Junior skater still? Face it, it wasn't going to happen.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
What concerns me is that he mentioned more quads. I think that's a dangerous strategy. The quads are so hard on the body and his body has already been injured. If he got himself to a good choreographer and built up his artistry, while not pushing the quad more than absolutely necessary, he'd have a decent shot at another 4 years. He's an intelligent man. Although he is not a natural artist, he could do a great deal more with the artistic side of his skating. There's plenty of room there. I highly doubt he'll make it through another 4 years of live-by-the-quad skating.

zeytin

Rinkside
alina said:
:biggrin: it´s no fun to watch skaters falling and falling.......it´s pain for the eyes to watch a sp like Lysacek did .

i think the level in mens figure skating is already low...if plush retires, we'll watch the falling men at competitions...after yags retired mens event lost his excitement for me...and if plush retires, too, it'd be more empty...
also i don't agree that plush is just a jumping machine...for me he's the one who have both jumps and artistry together...

zeytin

dutchherder

Final Flight
On one of the Olympic recap shows (by now, who knows which one?), I saw an interview with Brian Boitano and Johnny Weir. The interviewer (sorry, don't know who she was) told Johnny that Plushenko was quoted as saying that he will be in Vancouver in 2010 because he was "born to win gold medals". She asked Johnny if he intends to stick around, and if he thinks he could ever beat Plushenko. Johnny said that he is at a disadvantage because he started skating so much later than Plushenko, but that if he keeps working, he can beat him.

I'm inclined to believe him. :rock: