A Russian emigrant's anthem rant | Golden Skate

A Russian emigrant's anthem rant

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
THIS IS A RANT.

Why, why, oh why did they let Putin bring back the Soviet anthem?! :banging:
Whenever I hear it, I can remember the b******t words that used to go with it, and I don't care what the new words are. I love watching medal ceremonies in general, but I just hate! hate! hate! hearing that anthem! Arrrggghhh!!!!

</End of rant>

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
i love it personally

i can't help but sing along...the soviet words of course..even though my parents left USSR for the same reasons yours did, hearing Soviet anthem brings back the memories of seeing G&G gold in Calgary and many others...

there is something about the music that's so powerful..

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
Why, why, oh why did they let Putin bring back the Soviet anthem?!

</End of rant>

Because it is a GORGEOUS & powerful melody -- second only to the Marselleise in France! -- and evokes the greatness of sport in the Soviet Era. I don't mean the politics but the superiority of Soviet sports training system in its heyday, which few can deny. :rock:

When I was in St. Petersburg, the 30+ y.o. guide wished that the city's name would return to Leningrad. I could understand that since as a litle girl that's what the city was called.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
I was wondering about that anthem too. So he brought back the old one! I think it's a good idea as that is a beautiful, powerful anthem and even though I don't know the words, I know the melody from past Olympic glory.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I thought it sounded familiar... Plushy looked very proud. If its the anthem he grew up with it may have a special meaning for him so I can understand not wanting to listen to a new anthem that probably doesn't mean anything to him emotionally

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
When I was in St. Petersburg, the 30+ y.o. guide wished that the city's name would return to Leningrad. I could understand that since as a litle girl that's what the city was called.
I actually thought that when they renamed the city they should have go back to a more recent version of the name, Petrograd. I usually refere to it as Leningrad though, except after talking to my friends there, when I switch to "Peter".

Both my husband and I are from St. Pete, but he left much later than I did. On our marriage license, I wrote down "Leningrad" as the city of birth, and he wrote "St. Petersburg". Looking at the the marriage certificate, one couldn't tell we're actually from the same city!

Mafke

Medalist
Ptichka said:
I actually thought that when they renamed the city they should have go back to a more recent version of the name, Petrograd.

Me too! I love the name Petrograd, non-communist and very Russian sounding . You're the first Russian I've heard of who can stand the name though (though I've known other Americans who like Petrograd). I think Sankt Peterburk (or is there an s in there?) sounds ugly, ugly, ugly in Russian.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think the attitude toward "Petrograd" is because the name is so associated with the revolutionary period. Even to me, the word "Petrograd" evokes images of men in military coats roaming the streets, people in queus for water at the wells, etc. When the city was being renamed one proposal was to actually rename it into "Petersburg", without the "Saint". That was defeated (and rightly so) because Petersburg was named not after Peter the Great but after Saint Peter (Petrograd, OTOH, is just City of Peter). No Russian ever says Saint Petersburg, though, or ever did for that matter.

Mafke

Medalist
Ptichka said:
No Russian ever says Saint Petersburg, though, or ever did for that matter.

So the real name for all intents and purposes is Petersburg (Peter's city in German). Why hold on to that ugly Sankt then?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Mafke said:
So the real name for all intents and purposes is Petersburg (Peter's city in German). Why hold on to that ugly Sankt then?
As I said, because the city is not named for Peter the Great, but for Saint Peter. So it's the city of Saint Peter, hence the Sankt.