Plushenko's ridiculous PCS | Golden Skate

Plushenko's ridiculous PCS

rain

Record Breaker
Yes, it was obvious Plushenko was the rightful winner. But come on, his PCS were ridiculous for what he did. He did great jumps (technical) but not one of them had a difficult jump entrance (transitions). He didn't even try the usual perfunctory footwork in front of any of them. This makes the jumps easier - something that should be reflected somewhere in his scores, but clearly was not.
Also his choreography was not the best out there. His program was front-loaded with jumps - again making it easier. Also detracting from the overall theme. With all those jumps right up front he appeared to not even notice what his music was until midway through his program when he headed into footwork.
I also somewhat question his high scores on footwork, but that's on the tech side.
The judges could have easily given Plushenko scores more reflective of his actual performance and he would still have won. It irks me that they try to make it look like he had the best skate of all time. I thought, in fact, just in general performance quality it didn't even rank up there with the best performances Plushenko's ever given. He looked kind of paint-by-numbers without much passion. Perhaps because there was nobody there to push him. Nevertheless, it was not the most exciting LP in Olympic history.
End of ramble.

Kasey

Medalist
Plush got higher transition marks than Savoie. Further proof that crack don't smoke itself.

zeytin

Rinkside
rain said:
Perhaps because there was nobody there to push him.

plushenko was a better skater 4 years ago, while there was a great competition between him and yagudin...but then he was alone when yags retired and i believe that affected him in a negative way...but i still think that he has a nicer skating style than the other skaters, artistically.
and perhaps judges awarded him with so high scores because he has given lot to mens figure skating...judges generally give higher scores when a skater wins the olympic gold.and if this is a skater with previous victories, they become really generous.

zeytin

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
zeytin said:
plushenko was a better skater 4 years ago, while there was a great competition between him and yagudin...but then he was alone when yags retired and i believe that affected him in a negative way...but i still think that he has a nicer skating style than the other skaters, artistically.
and perhaps judges awarded him with so high scores because he has given lot to mens figure skating...judges generally give higher scores when a skater wins the olympic gold.and if this is a skater with previous victories, they become really generous.

zeytin

I totally agree with you. I was always a Yagudin fan and not so much a Plushenko fan (still am not), but when Plushenko had to compete against Yagudin at least he had fire. He went all out. I wish there was somebody out there now who could bring the tech jump content and force Plushenko to address some of the weaknesses in his skating that right now are totally overlooked by the judges, in part, I'm guessing, because there's nobody close to him on those jumps.

rain

Record Breaker
Kasey said:
Plush got higher transition marks than Savoie. Further proof that crack don't smoke itself.

Yeah, Plushenko did a number of things very well, but transitions? What transitions? In fact, what choreography?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Listen here are a number of things......

Plushenkos's ridiculous PCS scores
Plushenko's ridiculous spin scores(although he still was the clear winner regardless)
Lysacek's ridiculous spin scores
Lysacek's ridiculous PCS scores
Sandhu's ridiculous footwork scores(most of his footwork is on two feet)
Joubert's ridiculous footwork scores
Joubert's ridiculous PCS scores

The new system is garbage. If they dont replace it soon figure skating popularity will continue to go down the toi%et.

eliza88

On the Ice
I don't understand Plushenko's absurdly high PCS scores either...the performance was dull, hardly a transition, zero musicality and choreography...he has skated this problem better in the past but somehow his score are higher here with this lackluster skate? Ridiculous. He WAS the clear winner, I just find fault with his high scores.

I don't like the notion of saying since he was the best there and no one could touch him anyway therefore inflate the marks! It makes no sense to me to award him high scores because he has done a lot for figure skating...if the fans cannot walk away from that rationale, how can we expect the judges to? I know it might be too much to ask for the skater to be judged by THAT performance at THAT competition...but that is the way it should be!

I haven't looked at the score sheets...from the sounds of it, I probably shouldn't!

eliza88

ikfan

Rinkside
judges

I think he should have won, no question but it shows that the judges are not judging correctly.

In the paper there was a quote saying that he skated very very slowly [this is hard to see on TV] and his performance was forgetable unlike Vickor p, Urmanov, Kulik and Yags.

He has great footwork but isn't it just about the same pattern for years now and in no way did it go to the music. In fact I thought the entire program could have been skated to any music for all the connection it had with the music he was using.

The gold medal performance seemed to leave him emotionless and the audience too. :frown2:

emma

Record Breaker
I too found the scores - well - troubling...anybody good at this sort of thing break it down yet?

ETA - but congratulations to Plushy for his victory, he was, imo, the clear winner. I just find the scores troubling.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
None of the scores make sense anymore in the singles. The only things they judge fairly well are jumps, skating skills and footwork. Spins, interpretation, choreography, transitions, and performance, they do an awful job of scoring in both mens and womens. I think as fans we should start ignoring results and just enjoy the skating, and come up with our own scores with fair judging.

curious

Final Flight
None of the others skaters had more pressure than Evgeny. He did enough to win,but it was clear that he was not happy with his performance. Yags was also cautious in Salt Lake(Plushy skated a better lp than Yags) but his fans don't care about that cause he won gold right?:biggrin:

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
curious said:
None of the others skaters had more pressure than Evgeny. He did enough to win,but it was clear that he was not happy with his performance. Yags was also cautious in Salt Lake(Plushy skated a better lp than Yags) but his fans don't care about that cause he won gold right?:biggrin:

You really believe Plushenko skated a better long program than Yagudin in SLC?
Yagudin left out the second triple axel, but Plushenko had two mistakes, tired out near the end, and Yagudin won all the first place votes in the long. As you said it is a moot point anyway though.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
look for the same thing to happen to Irina next week.

God I hope not. I want Irina to win but I want a fair event. Irina and Sasha both skating cleanly should be a close call, unless Irina does a triple-triple which she might or might not. Then again I am suspiscious now of the U.S getting favorable judging as well now. Maybe a Japanese winner would be the only thing I would fully trust at this point. :chorus:

shine

Record Breaker
And what do you know, we are in for another four more years of this ridiculousness.

Panther2000

On the Ice
I have to agree with you guys. Those scores werer so retareded it wasn't funny.

& the samething is still happening. They can reward a skater with marks so high that no one will ever catch them. It is the samething as Block juding. Though, they did not need to do that. Because. Without Alexei there really isn't any men's skating. It is a 1 man show.

That Program Please give me a break. Jump After Jump after jump & Mr. happy Hands waving around. :laugh:

Like it was stated in this thread. After Alexei was forced into retirement Mish & Plush have gotten really lazy. There is no one close to him now. The Competition was much better in 2002. At least it was a 2 man show, with a Bronze medal up for grabs. & with Alexei skating last knowing that he had to skate not only clean but PERFECT. This competition was just plan drab & dull. Like going through the motions.

It is no question that he should have won. But, those scores were just retarded.

I will miss you guys this weekend. I just moved & my computer is out until the Cable guy comes:scowl: But, I second everyone motion in this thread.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Lysacek, Sandhu, and to a lesser extent Joubert were the ones overscored, not really Plushenko. Plushenko's PCS and spin scores are high sometimes but how was he that overscored. If Lambiel's error-strewn performances were the 2nd best, if Buttle's flawed free skate with a fall on his only quad attempt was the 2nd best free skate, and if Weir quadless short program was the 2nd best short program, then Plushenko's huge margins over the field are understandable.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
Lysacek, Sandhu, and to a lesser extent Joubert were the ones overscored, not really Plushenko. Plushenko's PCS and spin scores are high sometimes but how was he that overscored. If Lambiel's error-strewn performances were the 2nd best, if Buttle's flawed free skate with a fall on his only quad attempt was the 2nd best free skate, and if Weir quadless short program was the 2nd best short program, then Plushenko's huge margins over the field are understandable.

Sandhu and Joubert should have been at the bottom of the pack - the fact that Joubert made it in the top 10 is completely astounding. Where did Sandhu end up? He must have been near last place, or are all the other men they didn't show us really THAT bad?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
FreeKatie said:
Sandhu and Joubert should have been at the bottom of the pack - the fact that Joubert made it in the top 10 is completely astounding. Where did Sandhu end up? He must have been near last place, or are all the other men they didn't show us really THAT bad?

I think he was 11th, if you can believe he was that high. :rofl: Given the judging of the mens event that probably shouldnt be a surprise though. My little sister does about the same number of clean singles he did last night.