Dance, Round 1 - Compulsory Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dance, Round 1 - Compulsory Dance

Jasper

Final Flight
Kirkbiggestfan said:
Now I understand why the Italians and Bulagarians skipped Euros! Pure politics!

How is it politics for the Bulgarians? I'm pleased to see them in 3rd so far, that is great! :) It would be a nice comeback for them to be on the podium at the Olympics after dropping to 5th at 2005 Worlds.

I will wait judgment on the Italians until I see them skate. I sincerely hope they don't just have this lead because of homecooking.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Okay, I officially have to stop checking for spoilers. No need to get upset about the judging TWICE.
I'm going to be the first to say it: Meet the new system, same as the old system.
Rave

Mafke

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
NOW YOU GUYS SEE WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT REGARDING COUNTRIES AND OFFICIALS PAYING OFF JUDGES! IF LYSACEK'S RIDICULOUS LONG PROGRAM SCORES, AND EVEN ZHANG/ZHANG'S OUTRAGEOUS LONG PROGRAM SCORES DID NOT PROVE IT, THIS CERTAINLY SHOULD. THIS OLYMPICS IS ALL ABOUT DEALMAKING OF THE HIGHEST ORDER, THERE IS NO WAY ON EARTH THE ITALIANS COULD HAVE HAD THE BEST CDS, I AM SORRY. Awww, now I am calmed down. This is almost too funny to be upsetting, I had to laugh at this.

So if Slute wins gold, it's because of deal making. Gotcha.

I do think we're maybe getting ready for a climactic meltdown in COP judging and another scandal which may spell the end of dance in the olympics. Forget Pairs, the real scandal in SLC was dance.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
slutskayafan21 said:
NOW YOU GUYS SEE WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT REGARDING COUNTRIES AND OFFICIALS PAYING OFF JUDGES! IF LYSACEK'S RIDICULOUS LONG PROGRAM SCORES, AND EVEN ZHANG/ZHANG'S OUTRAGEOUS LONG PROGRAM SCORES DID NOT PROVE IT, THIS CERTAINLY SHOULD. THIS OLYMPICS IS ALL ABOUT DEALMAKING OF THE HIGHEST ORDER, THERE IS NO WAY ON EARTH THE ITALIANS COULD HAVE HAD THE BEST CDS, I AM SORRY. Awww, now I am calmed down. This is almost too funny to be upsetting, I had to laugh at this.

Well....I'm not ready to beleive that skating is that far on the dark side...BUT, having watched the Italian team before and being so underimpressed with them (sloppy edges and loud edges - no smoothness- nothing) It DOES make me wonder just how well they must have skated to be in first....I guess we'll all have to wait and see (or at least I will) when it airs tonight.

Man.....Argh!!!! right now I just can't feel happy for the Italians - I just think they are spoilers for the dance comp....hopefully I'll be in a better mood later.....this Olympics is turning out to be soooo disapointing for so many reasons....

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Could someone post current standings or link to them?

BTW, I am a CoP fan, but even I never thought it was a good idea for ice dance.

Eowyn

Rinkside
Here ya go.....agree, CoP is wrong for dance.....

1 Barbara FUSAR POLI, Maurizio MARGAGLIO (ITA) 38.78
2 Tatiana NAVKA, Roman KOSTOMAROV (RUS) 38.20
3 Elena GRUSHINA, Ruslan GONCHAROV (UKR) 37.39
4 Albena DENKOVA, Maxim STAVISKI (BUL) 37.65
5 Tanith BELBIN, Benjamin AGOSTO (USA) 37.36
6 Margarita DROBIAZKO, Povilas VANAGAS (LTU) 35.23
7 Federica FAIELLA, Massimo SCALI (ITA) 33.20
8 Oksana DOMNINA, Maxim SHABALIN (RUS) 33.37
9 Sinead KERR, John KERR (GBR) 31.58
10 Megan WING, Aaron LOWE (CAN) 31.42
11 Jana KHOKHLOVA, Sergei NOVITSKI (RUS) 30.90
12 Melissa GREGORY, Denis PETUKHOV (USA) 30.51
13 Nozomi WATANABE, Akiyuki KIDO (JPN) 27.95
14 Jamie SILVERSTEIN, Ryan O'MEARA (USA) 27.53
15 Kristin FRASER, Igor LUKANIN (AZE) 27.27
16 Alexandra KAUC, Michal ZYCH (POL) 24.93
17 Anastasia GREBENKINA, Vazgen AZROJAN (ARM) 24.28
18 Alexandra ZARETSKI, Roman ZARETSKI (ISR) 23.51
19 Julia GOLOVINA, Oleg VOIKO (UKR) 23.88

Kirkbiggestfan

Rinkside
Jasper said:
How is it politics for the Bulgarians? I'm pleased to see them in 3rd so far, that is great! :) It would be a nice comeback for them to be on the podium at the Olympics after dropping to 5th at 2005 Worlds.

I will wait judgment on the Italians until I see them skate. I sincerely hope they don't just have this lead because of homecooking.

It is politics because they are coached by the same person, who is know to really work hard in the background! Don't get me wrong, I love the Bulgarians...but they were healthy to skate at Euros, didn't they skate at Italian nationals????

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I'm gone for one hour and....HOLY CRAP!!!!! My 'nightmare' came true. The only positive is that 6th place (Tan & Ben) is less than two points away from first place.

19 FUSAR POLI Barbara / MARGAGLIO Maurizio ITA 1 38.78 11 NAVKA Tatiana / KOSTOMAROV Roman RUS 2 38.20
16 DENKOVA Albena / STAVISKI Maxim BUL 3 37.65
20 DUBREUIL Marie-France / LAUZON Patrice CAN 4 37.44
9 GRUSHINA Elena / GONCHAROV Ruslan UKR 5 37.39
12 BELBIN Tanith / AGOSTO Benjamin USA 6 37.36 2 DROBIAZKO Margarita / VANAGAS Povilas LTU 7 35.23
6 DOMNINA Oksana / SHABALIN Maxim RUS 8 33.37
10 FAIELLA Federica / SCALI Massimo ITA 9 33.20
18 KERR Sinead / KERR John GBR 10 31.58
17 WING Megan / LOWE Aaron CAN 11 31.42

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Only the Israelis left to skate, from among the top teams....Tan&Ben could end up 7th....ughhhh.....

Jasper

Final Flight
The Top 10 are all going to be so close after this phase, assuming Chait/Sak place there and they should. It will be VERY competitive for medals.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
I'm gone for one hour and....HOLY CRAP!!!!! My 'nitghtmare' came true. The only positive is that 6th place (Tan & Ben) is less than two points away from first place.

19 FUSAR POLI Barbara / MARGAGLIO Maurizio ITA 1 38.78 11 NAVKA Tatiana / KOSTOMAROV Roman RUS 2 38.20
12 BELBIN Tanith / AGOSTO Benjamin USA 6 37.36 2 DROBIAZKO Margarita / VANAGAS Povilas LTU 7 35.23
6 DOMNINA Oksana / SHABALIN Maxim RUS 8 33.37
10 FAIELLA Federica / SCALI Massimo ITA 9 33.20
18 KERR Sinead / KERR John GBR 10 31.58
17 WING Megan / LOWE Aaron CAN 11 31.42

Frau, I knew it would be close...in an early posting, I was trying to convince myself that despite Belbin and Agosto being in 4th (at the time) it wasn't really that bad since only like .29 seperated 2-4....so the fact that only what, 2 points seperates 2-6, makes me feel better....

Hope these teams know they CAN NOT afford to give even .01 a point away....
I think I'm in denial abou the Italians and need to see it for my own eyes. I just CAN NOT beleive that they would have improved THAT much.....

Frau - maybe if you leave for another hour, the time warp you put us in will work itself out and when you return, we'll all relize its just a bad dream....

Frau Muller

Final Flight
dwiggin3 said:
Frau - maybe if you leave for another hour, the time warp you put us in will work itself out and when you return, we'll all relize its just a bad dream....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Jasper said:
The Top 10 are all going to be so close after this phase, assuming Chait/Sak place there and they should. It will be VERY competitive for medals.

Chait/Sak in 13th...man. :) After the last olympics and this whole shebang with her daddy paying folks off etc, they really have never been held up like they use to. Glad to see that has changed.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Chait/Sakhnovsky into 13th place!!!!!!!???????? Did they fall? Did they cha-cha to a waltz beat?

Boris is going to knock a few heads tonight...run for cover!

Hopefully, Italian Security Forces are up to it. :)

The #1 Israelis are actually behind the Kerrs (!!!) and Wing/Lowe & the #2 Israeli team is in dead-last place. Hmmm.....

19 FUSAR POLI Barbara / MARGAGLIO Maurizio ITA 1 38.78
11 NAVKA Tatiana / KOSTOMAROV Roman RUS 2 38.20
12 BELBIN Tanith / AGOSTO Benjamin USA 6 37.36
21 DELOBEL Isabelle / SCHOENFELDER Olivier FRA 7 36.44
2 DROBIAZKO Margarita / VANAGAS Povilas LTU 8 35.23
6 DOMNINA Oksana / SHABALIN Maxim RUS 9 33.37
10 FAIELLA Federica / SCALI Massimo ITA 10 33.20
18 KERR Sinead / KERR John GBR 11 31.58
17 WING Megan / LOWE Aaron CAN 12 31.42
22 CHAIT Galit / SAKHNOVSKI Sergei ISR 13 31.07
13 KHOKHLOVA Jana / NOVITSKI Sergei RUS 14 30.90
4 GREGORY Melissa / PETUKHOV Denis USA 15 30.51
8 WATANABE Nozomi / KIDO Akiyuki JPN 16 27.95
3 SILVERSTEIN Jamie / O'MEARA Ryan USA 17 27.53
23 HOFFMANN Nora / ELEK Attila HUN 18 27.53
5 FRASER Kristin / LUKANIN Igor AZE 19 27.27
7 KAUC Alexandra / ZYCH Michal POL 20 24.93
1 GREBENKINA Anastasia / AZROJAN Vazgen ARM 21 24.28
15 GOLOVINA Julia / VOIKO Oleg UKR 22 23.88
14 ZARETSKI Alexandra / ZARETSKI Roman ISR 23 23.51

Last edited:

Eowyn

Rinkside
Frau Muller said:
Chait/Sakhnovsky into 13th place!!!!!!!???????? Did they fall? Did they cha-cha to a waltz beat?

Boris is going to knock a few heads tonight...run for cover!

Hopefully, Italian Security Forces are up to it. :)

from Eurosport...

Heartbreak for the Israeli pair of Chait and Sakhnovski! She catches her toe peg in the ice and tumbles to the ground! He does extremely well to hold on and ressurrect their dance, but the damage has been done. Oh yes, she's in dark blue with a sequinned neck. AND THEY ARE HAMMERED BY THE JUDGES: 14.80 and 17.27 gives them 31.07 and only 13th place.

Dibs

Rinkside
Sigh. . . I thought that the new scoring system had at the very least improved the likelihood of deserving skaters in ice dancing actually having a shot of medaling rather than having to wait years for recognition. Seems like the ISU and the judges made a fool out of me. I'm going to wait until I can see the competition to make any judgments, but I getting this feeling in my gut that Tanith & Ben would be really lucky to squeak out a bronze with this judging panel.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
What the **** happened to Galit and Sergei???!!! They may not be the strongest complulsory dancers out there, but they are not worse than all those other teams. They MUST have fallen or made some other mistake... A real bummer...

I wouldn't get too upset about B&A's 7th. The difference between 3d and 7th place is less than 1/3 of a point - a tie for all intents and purposes. Even the difference between them and the first place is under 1.5 points - no big deal!