Jenny Kirk to skate pairs with... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jenny Kirk to skate pairs with...

J

Joesitz

Re: Jenny Kirk to skate pairs with...

I don't know how much training in ballet Jenny had but I am sure it included some classes in <em>pas de deux</em>. This will definitely be an aid for being close in Pairs as well as the ease in lifting.

Joe

H

heyang

I don't recall Kyoko landing on the medal podium at Ladies Nationals - I think I saw her finish 4th. Well, technically that's a pewter medal, but we never see them on the TV or in pictures. Since she went pro, her bio isn't in last year's media guide. The guide lists only 1st-3rd and Ina is noted as a medalist for Ladies singles. Sorry to nitpick.

Perhaps she finished on the podium in Japanese Ladies' National. She did skate for Japan for a while.b

D

DORISPULASKI

<a href="http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/reports/1995-easterns.txt" target="top">www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/reports/1995-easterns.txt</a>

Heyang, It is frustrating to try to find full listings of US Nationals. The international competitions are all on Skatabase, but USFSA does a pee poor job of making results of their old competitions easily available. You may well be right about it being 4th. That's why I expressed doubt about it-I remember the podium, because I was at the event, and the pewter medallist is there. It may have been Tonia Kwiatkowski that was 3rd if it wasn't Kyoko? Nicole won and Michelle was 2nd.

If you look at the above sectionals report though, Sandra Loosemore gives Ina credit for having a triple lutz, and an occasional triple lutz triple toe in practice that year at regionals. The same year Ina was 2nd in pairs with Dungeon.
(As a pair, I always used to think of them as Dungeon and Dragon; she was so fierce and dragon are very Asian too.)

dpp

T

tharrtell

Joe,

What exactly is the pas de deux and why would it help with pairs? I saw Don Quixote by the SF Ballet this past season, and I remember the portion of the program called the pas de deux - it was danced by the male and female lead - both Cuban in this case. My untrained thoughs were that it was not only beautiful, but impressive as well because the timing of the two was impeccible (again, to my untrained eye). At the time, I had wondered whether the fact that they were both Cuban contributed to this - maybe a sense of timing and understanding of the music that came from a Latin ethnic background?

So, do you say this might help Jenny because it's a dance with a partner? But there are many of those in ballet, no? Is it because it's a specific type of dance?

Just curious,
tharrtell

P

Ptichka

1) <em>Pas de deux</em> literally translates from French as "Steps for Two". So technically it is sequence of steps performed by two people.

2) About successful Singles/Pairs. Tamara Moskvina, back in her skating days, did both. She represented Russia at Worlds (as Tamara Bratus, her maiden name) as a single, and then was consistently in second place at Russian pairs with Mishin, just behind the Protopopovs. I believe Moskvina and Mishin were 5th at Olympics.

G

GSK8

Cool!

This is so exciting and I hope this goes somewhere! I enjoy watching both perform, but together? This could be VERY interesting and possibly a good move for both. I think they would present each other well on the ice!

J

Joesitz

Thartell - The way you described the pas de deux in Don Quixote is one of the reasons for such a background to assist figure skaters. Timing is indeed essential for a pas de deux as well as in figure skating. There is always a preparation before a lift and then the lift. That has to be timed by dancers/skaters.

Also there is the closeness of the two as well as the distance from each other. The audience must see the connection at all times.

I am hoping Jenny is aware of all this (she should be since she was a dancer, first). Just working off the ice will help with the lift but it would also be helpful if they lift to music.

Sometimes I see a pairs lift as a big exciting trick; other times I see the same lift performed beautifully as part of a routine.

BTW, I am sure those Cubans you saw are from the Alicia Alonso Ballet School in Havana. That school has sent Cubans to perform in great companies in all parts of the world.

Joe

S

Skatefan33

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can someone tell me if Fedor Andreev is from Canada or at least is represented by Canada?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He also have the Russian's Nationality

NanSinger2

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
I'm still wondering for which country will they skate???

Good question! I didn't think of that. I sure hope it's the US. We are so desperate for good pairs teams.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Very interesting news... I would think best that they would choose soon which will be their discipline. Andreew has not been such a very successful jumper, maybe he should concentrate on one discipline only? My guess is that two disciplines is too much, although there has been some skaters who have done both.

Marjaana

I don't know that much about Andreev. I don't get to see him that much. But Jennie should be able to cope with the two disciplines. I think it will enhance her skating. Maybe his too.

Joe

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Dance?

:cool:If Fedor has trouble jumping and Jenny has hip problems, perhaps a move to dance would have been better.

RealtorGal, I don't know about dance, but Jenny's hip was the first thing that I thought of, too. As far as I understand, it basically hurts all the time. I think her career as a singles skater is in jeopardy because of it. I don't know whether pairs will be any easier -- what does it feel like to land a triple throw jump on an injured hip?

Mathman