Japanese Skaters Look Ready! | Golden Skate

Japanese Skaters Look Ready!

CalloftheBlade

Rinkside
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/special_packages/olympics/13906413.htm

"COMPETITIVE FORM: Saturday's practice session for the Japanese women figure skaters looked more like their national championships. Fumie Suguri, Miki Ando and Shizuka Arakawa did run-throughs worthy of competition.

Suguri, the Japanese champion, did her program flawlessly, although she didn't attempt some of the tougher elements that her countrywomen tried. Ando, the only woman to land a quadruple jump in competition, tried two during the workout and made one. Arakawa at various times hit triple-triple combinations.

Toward the end of the session, Arakawa landed a rare triple toe loop-triple toe loop-triple loop combo.

All three Japanese are considered medals contenders. Arakawa won the 2004 world championship, but she has been overshadowed by Suguri, Ando and Mao Asada, the 15-year-old Grand Prix final winner. Asada is too young to compete at these games."

It would be awesome if Arakawa actually tries the triple-triple-triple combination in the long program!

Thanks for the link, Calloftheblade. The Japanese team is really remarkable because any one of the three could jump up and amaze us. :rock:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks Call of the blade!!

I'm thrilled to hear that the Japanese ladies are practicing well. Can't wait to start seeing them on US coverage such as Olympic Ice. Hopefully we will see something today!!

DG

Mafke

Medalist
Yeah, I'm officially rooting for Arakawa now that the Kween is out of it (unless someone else wins me over in the SP). She's uneven and hasn't adjusted so well to COP but she's magnificent when she's on.

I'm not quite as fond of Suguri and Ando (struggling this season) but they're both special talents and any of them on the podium (anywhere) will be just fine with me.

I have to say that overall the American team is kind of a blank slate for me. I've never quite warmed to Cohen (talented as anything, but I like edgeful skaters and that's not her) and I've yet to see Meissner or Junior. So for the time being GO JAPANESE LADIES!!!!

Kasey

Medalist
hockeyfan228 said:
3Toe/3Toe/3Toe isn't legal by the Zayak rule, which limits the repeat of a triple or quad to one.

It said it was a 3toe-3toe-3loop.

Good for them, I hope Arakawa and Seguri can strut their stuff and put some excitement into the competition.

I like all skaters equally, but some I like a teeny bit more equally than the rest. Go Fumie!

MM

flowjo35

On the Ice
It's about time someone is paying attention to them. One of them could be the spoiler with all the talk about Irina and Sasha being the favorites. Shizuka has the technical abilities to match Irina (if her triples are not downgraded) and if Miki can land her quad I think she could be a factor for the podium also.

If Arakawa lands that 3x3x3, then why worry about the Zayak rule. There are other triples she can use. It seems Shiz is going for it. Let's wish her luck. I will.

Joe

nghtvsn

Rinkside
I hope Arakawa puts in a stellar two programs but what bugs me is that no matter what anyone else does this OGM is Slutskaya's to lose due to the unbelievable judging that she has recieved over the past two years and the display of the judging for the russians in the mens/pairs events. I'm not to hyped up but I do hope Skaya makes mistakes so she at least has to earn this medal.
On another issue, the japanese technical skills are great but I don't really see how effective it is at this point when a dumb Lutz/double loop combo is almost as a good as a Lutz/3toe which I find insane, but that's how it is. Plus a 3/3/3loop doesn't seem worth trying when skaya is just gonna do a lutz/2toe/2loop to counter any 3/3.

flowjo35

On the Ice
On the olympic ice program, they were showing in the background some ladies practicing. Shizuka was doing an ina bauer which was a thing of beauty (the best in the business IMO). Her back was bent over so much it looked like she was splint in halve. :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Okay, this is what I have been hoping for.....go Fumie........42

maruru

Rinkside
Miki said she would *definitely* attempt a 4sal. She said something like (paraphrase) she was the only female skater that had ever landed a quad in competitions and she wanted to do it again, this time, in Olys. It's been her dream to attempt (and land? lol) a quad in Olys and now she has this chance, to the music she really loves.

Now of course it is not really wise to attempt it under the new system but how exciting it would be if she does it.

Sounds like the injury no longer affects Fumie and she is in a pretty good shape now. So is Shizza, although a report says her 3f is still often underrotated, which is a concern.

Heck, absolutely nothing against Irina, but after the men's competition (which was effectively over even before SP), I really want some more excitement in the game. Go girls!

LBC

On the Ice
I am glad they are practicing well but it is practice. I thought Shizuka said she wasn't going to do the 3/3/3? I worry that changing both her programs is going to screw her up. Miki with a totally new LP too. Fumie at least has the same two programs. Out of the three I'd like her to medal.

kyla2

Final Flight
The Japanese Ladies

I absolutely love Fumie and Shiz as well. I would be thrilled to see them land on the podium. Miki is fine and I wish her well also. About Irina. She wants this gold medal so badly, and it would mean so much to her financially, which would help her mother. So I wish her well also and if she has a great skate I hope she wins. I also wish Sasha well too. She has worked extremely hard this year and deserves success. She is also a breathtaking skater.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I love all the Japanese ladies, but especially Shizuka. I really hope she can skate two great programs! :yes:

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
nymkfan51 said:
I love all the Japanese ladies, but especially Shizuka. I really hope she can skate two great programs! :yes:

I love the Japanese ladies too and am VERY frustratred Asada won't be there. But it's done. :(

I have a soft spot for Fumie-I'll be cheering her on as well as the U.S. girls! :rock:

Last edited:

CDMM1991

Medalist
I doubt that Miki's quad sal will be ratified, unless it is of a much better quality when she was first given credit for it. But BIG kudos to her for trying it at the Olympic Games! I love risk-takers.

I absolutely love Fumie and Shiz. I hope they both produce two stellar programs.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Has NBC even mentioned the Japanese skaters? The ones that are actually at the event? I think they did mention Mao once. Seems like NBC's focus has been the MK-Emily Hughes situation, Sasha, Kimmie, and a little coverage of Irina. I'd sure love to see Shizuku and Fumie skate great programs. They are so gorgeous to watch. I'm less a fan of Miki Ando, though it seems like she's improved a lot lately.