Japanese Skaters Look Ready! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japanese Skaters Look Ready!

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Although I root mainly for American ladies, I love to watch beautiful skating by ladies from all over the World. I enjoy Fumie and Miki when they are really on and are enjoying themselves. Shizuka? Haven't really seen much of her this season. In prior years, it seems like every time I saw her skate, she was struggling. I'm aware though that she was 2004 World Champ.

I have been speaking out against the minimum age rule for a long time, and I wish Mao Asada could skate in this Olympics. If Kimmie Meissner could have gone to Senior Worlds in 2005 and gotten that experience, I think she would be
garnering more attention in Torino as a serious contender. I really believe that the minimum age rule hurts figure skating in general. We need to have the young teens who win medals at their Nationals - worldwide - be allowed to participate in the Senior Worlds and Olympics experience. JMO.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The Japanese skaters have been mentioned briefly on Olympic Ice, but I'm not sure if the main network has said anything about them. Just Emily, MK, Kimmie, Irina, and Cohen.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Good for them.

I love Arakawa's skating, pure edges and flow. With subtle emotional beauty.
You go, Arakawa!

The next Japanese lady for me is Fummie.

But somehow I got sense Ando will be a dark horse at big O.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Which one do people think is most likely for the podium -- Fumie, Shizuka or Miki? I think one will probably make it.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
Which one do people think is most likely for the podium -- Fumie, Shizuka or Miki? I think one will probably make it.
Shizuka. :)

Of course I'm biased or not biased. She is the most complete skater edges, positions, flexiblities, jumps, spins. you name it....the only problem is if she can hold it together at the moment counted the most.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I love all of the Japanese ladies. They are such great competitors and always put in such a phenomenal effort. I'd love to see Shiz land the triple/triple/triple and see Miki make history and be the first woman to land a quad at the Olympics. Best of luck to all of them :thumbsup: :clap: I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Shiz to do her killer Ina Bauer.

millie

Medalist
If Shizuka could get the spark back in her face and skating that she had before TT, she has an excellent chance at the Gold.
I think that anyone of the Japanese girls can medal or even win the gold.

Good luck to all the girls and hope they all have the skate of their lives.
This Olympic medal is anyones for the taking, nothing is for sure.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
So far Japanese federation have plaied all cards right (didd't protest for Asada's out of O. diddn't protest for Takhashi's LP score)....now only if their lady (shizuka or Fumie) delivers, I see a Japanese Gold Medalist.

Go Shizuka and Fummie!

nymkfan51

Medalist
Tha Japanese ladies are a formidable force to be reckoned with. All three ladies are capable of a podium spot, most definitely.
I believe Shiz has the best shot of challenging Irina for the gold ... although I still feel the gold is Irina's, unless she makes multiple mistakes.

maruru

Rinkside
They had a press conference. Three together there...

I couldn't find a full transcript, but here are some other quotes they said.

Fumie: "Passion, the theme of Turino Olympics, is what I want to express on the ice. I want to feel it, and I want to enjoy it. I'll give it all I've got and it would be wonderful if my performance makes the audience happy and excited."

She was also asked why she thought her country's female skating field was so deep, and she answered good rivalry among skaters motivated them to perform better.

Shizuka: "Things are gettng better and I'm becoming consistent. I think it was a very good decision to change programs. I'm feeling pretty good and comfortable with the new ones."

She also said Morozov and she hadn't changed much of the overall composition of the programs. But sounds like she is pretty happy about the decision.

The two admitted they felt some pressure (given Team Japan's medal drought), but they just wanted to bring the best to the game (who wouldn't :cool:, but go for it girls).

Miki, as the Yahoo article says, sounded just simply happy to be there, but she broke into tears asked about her deceased dad (she'd been Daddy's little girl).

Last edited:

maruru

Rinkside
LBC said:
I am glad they are practicing well but it is practice. I thought Shizuka said she wasn't going to do the 3/3/3? I worry that changing both her programs is going to screw her up. Miki with a totally new LP too. Fumie at least has the same two programs. Out of the three I'd like her to medal.

Found another quote, or sorta like that (they are scattered all over different news sites as they selected what they liked to quote. Ugh). Sounds like Shizza confirmed she wouldn't do a 3/3/3 in her LP. Instead, she plans to have a 3 lutz-3 loop in the SP. That's her plan for now.

CDMM1991

Medalist
maruru said:
Found another quote, or sorta like that (they are scattered all over different news sites as they selected what they liked to quote. Ugh). Sounds like Shizza confirmed she wouldn't do a 3/3/3 in her LP. Instead, she plans to have a 3 lutz-3 loop in the SP. That's her plan for now.

They showed Shizuka doing a triple lutz triple loop on Olympic Ice last night and it looked clean as a whistle to me!

new_europe2006

Rinkside
I know this is a dream, but I'd like to see the Japanese women sweep the podium. They have a mixture of techinical difficulty and beautiful artistry on the ice.

mzheng

Record Breaker
new_europe2006 said:
I know this is a dream, but I'd like to see the Japanese women sweep the podium. They have a mixture of techinical difficulty and beautiful artistry on the ice.
I have no objection with this. lol. They do have a mixed lot. But politically this won't happen.

Now with the way dance competetion goes, the lady's competetion gets more and more interesting and complicated. On ice skating and off ice politics.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Does Japan have any PAIRS or iICE DANCERS?

I don't think I've ever heard of any PAIRS or ICE DANCERS from JAPAN, do they have any?

GO, Shizuka!!!

mzheng

Record Breaker
tripleflutz said:
I don't think I've ever heard of any PAIRS or ICE DANCERS from JAPAN, do they have any?

GO, Shizuka!!!
Look at the whole picture.
Top Italy dance team now is out of medal position. Given Italy is the host country and $peedy from Italy, I expect Carolina Kostner will get a some of slack from judges (just look back how she was judged in 2004 worlds and a less extend 2005 worlds. the stage was setup for her since then). Now if judges have Russian, US, Japanese and Italian each to chose, which three do you think they will chose? Of course, assume they all skate comparably, especially with Japanese lady and Italian lady delivers.

I agree with a poster (Doris?) the figure skating in Olympics is all about politics. More so than in worlds.

soogar

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Look at the whole picture.
Top Italy dance team now is out of medal position. Given Italy is the host country and $peedy from Italy, I expect Carolina Kostner will get a some of slack from judges (just look back how she was judged in 2004 worlds and a less extend 2005 worlds. the stage was setup for her since then). Now if judges have Russian, US, Japanese and Italian each to chose, which three do you think they will chose? Of course, assume they all skate comparably, especially with Japanese lady and Italian lady delivers.

I agree with a poster (Doris?) the figure skating in Olympics is all about politics. More so than in worlds.

Don't forget that Carolina is a kick a$$ skater with 3-3s and *speed* and flow across the ice. Carolina was robbed big time in Moscow in the SP , that dismal efforts from Irina and Sasha beat a clean Carolina.

mzheng

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Don't forget that Carolina is a kick a$$ skater with 3-3s and *speed* and flow across the ice. Carolina was robbed big time in Moscow in the SP , that dismal efforts from Irina and Sasha beat a clean Carolina.
Let's see if she skated like her 2004 worlds LP, will she be held up?