Oh No What Horrible News About D&L | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Oh No What Horrible News About D&L

lotusland

On the Ice
Watched the D&L OD mishap in slow motion on the CBC post-comments segment (Brian Williams and Lori Nicol) last night. According to Lori Nicol, and from what I could see (the camera angle wasn't great), Marie-France's fingers were gradually being pulled apart from the centrifical force of the spin. She let go first and Patrice of course, could not prevent the fall because all he had was a hold on her knee.

CBC interviewed Patrice this afternoon. Showed him practicing alone. Later he said Marie-France went to the hospital, was x-rayed, and was diagnosed with a deep tissue and bone bruise. They are waiting until closer to the event today to see if freezing her hip would actually help her enough to get her through the FD.

Just my opinion, but Patrice neither looked nor sounded hopeful during the interview. :disapp: Here is hoping the hours inbetween his interview and the event tonight will do two things: give the team enough time to mentally get over the accident and give Marie-France enough energy to truly perform in the FD.

Antilles

Medalist
The Globe and Mail had a brief article today about them. Patrice said he skated alone, because Marie-France still could not put any weight on the leg. It certainly doesn't sound good for tonight. He actually cried when he was interviewed this morning. I hope they make a speedy recovery.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
You know what I liked that i forgot to comment on: when Barbie went down there was the now infamous "how could you?" glare but with M-F and Patrice, he was so concerned for her and carried her. It was obvious that her health was more important to him than any medal and it was very touching to me.

Vash01

Medalist
Sk8n Mama said:
You know what I liked that i forgot to comment on: when Barbie went down there was the now infamous "how could you?" glare but with M-F and Patrice, he was so concerned for her and carried her. It was obvious that her health was more important to him than any medal and it was very touching to me.

Not to condone the glare of FP, but neither of them was injured in that fall. In the case of D&L, MF was obviously in a lot of pain. Besides, IIRC, D&L are a couple off the ice, so he was concerned about her not just as a dance partner.

Vash

Jill

On the Ice
I hope she's doing better. I really like this couple, and I love their free program. I can't believe how dangerous dance has become!

Magz

Spectator
If you check the live results right now, you can see that they withdrew. I'm sooo sad for them, this was a terrible way to end their Olympics. Wishing Marie-France a speedy recovery!

candycane

Rinkside
Kwanford Wife said:
Towards the middle of the program, she slipped her arms through the front straps to reveal the sparkly top... like what little kids do with overalls. It was tres cool... of course, my husband isn't as cultured as Rgirl's honey and thought she'd just put the dress on backwards... Too bad about their fall. Hope to see them tonight.

It has to be a man thing. I am the huge figureskating fan and I was watching all of the dance and my husband noticed the same thing! I was like "what"? And he said, "watch", Sure enough when I re-watched it on another channel, darn it he was right. It must be then men's eyes are real in tune when women are about to take off their clothes.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I must say it was an amazing effect, so subtle for women, I bet the male judges didn't miss it either.:rofl:

IndieBoi

On the Ice
Magz said:
If you check the live results right now, you can see that they withdrew. I'm sooo sad for them, this was a terrible way to end their Olympics. Wishing Marie-France a speedy recovery!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060220.wlauzon20/BNStory/Torino2006/home

"I came because there is a chance we might skate tonight, and if she does, at least I'll have had been on some ice and be able to help her more," said Lauzon.

With that, he turned away, he leaned over as raw emotion grabbed him by the throat, and he cried.

It'd been a rough night after getting to their room at 1 a.m. after X-rays in hospital.

"Me, a bit," he replied when asked if they'd got much sleep. "Her, I don't think so."

That's just so unfortunate... I feel so sad for both of them.
Sometimes I feel olympic medals are so over-rated they can add so much emotional pain to unfortunate mishaps.

ceg15

On the Ice
I'm so sad that they're not competing :( It was so unfortunate...and I was really hoping that maybe they could get bronze...I feel so bad for them :( poor Marie-France and Patrice...

Nmsis

On the Ice
They were on the french tv. They were obviously disappointed but tried to cheer up. "That's life. Accidents are part of an athlete's life." They thanked everyone for support messages.
It was very nice of them.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Did anyone but me get the feeling that the accident was caused by centrifigal force, and that she did not have a good hold on him and was slipping away during the turns?

It was not the ordinary fall of tripping on each other's skates.

Pity, a great Dance team.

Joe

ITA with you Joe. The hold was not too strong, and the CF was too much for it (noticed how she kept spining on the ice when she fell). I hope she recovers soon.