Sasha | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
kyla2 said:
I have to tell you I was very impressed with the way Sasha handled the questions after she skated. She said that she felt lucky to get any medal and that she didn't think she would even end up on the podium. She has matured into a very poised and likable young woman. I have alot of respect for Sasha for fighting back and for her poise in handling tough questions. She showed grace and dignity and was a credit to her country.

ITA. I am very proud of her! Once she got past that shaky beginning, she skated beautifully. :clap: :love:

flying camel

Medalist
I felt Sasha deserved the Gold. She was the only one who exhibited any type of emotion and expression. But I guess everyone would have been mad. Shikuza was good but boring.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
flying camel said:
I felt Sasha deserved the Gold. She was the only one who exhibited any type of emotion and expression. But I guess everyone would have been mad. Shikuza was good but boring.
But emotion and expression alone do not a champion make. All the emotion in the world cannot make up for THREE mistakes. A heavy fall, then putting down both feet and both hands on the scond jump, then a clear two-footing of the second jump in her sequence, just too many mistakes to EVER justify winning over Shizuka.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've never been a Sasha fan and I was not rooting for her to win gold but did want her to be on the podium as she is an American. But I have to say, before her LP started I had a lump in my gut and that I have only felt before MK began a program. What's going on with you, I asked myself, you're not a Sasha fan. I was happy Shiz won but I thought Sasha delivered big time after the two jump mistakes. I was moved like hell by her LP and liked it more than Shizuka's in that SA was expressive but expressionless and Sasha skated from the heart the way MK does. It was beautifully choreographed and performed and I thought the point spread between her and Shiz was not reflective and what occured on the ice. And all of her interviews have been paradigms of good sportspersonship. I have in short become a Sasha fan and hope she takes gold at Worlds.

Lanie

On the Ice
dancindiva03 said:
But emotion and expression alone do not a champion make. All the emotion in the world cannot make up for THREE mistakes. A heavy fall, then putting down both feet and both hands on the scond jump, then a clear two-footing of the second jump in her sequence, just too many mistakes to EVER justify winning over Shizuka.

For once I agree with you. Shizuka was indeed kind of blah, but she stood on her feet when everyone else below her screwed up. I liked her 2004 Worlds performance MUCH better than this one. This was just a splatfest. Too bad.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
Alot of good that thing did for both of them :sheesh:

I would hope they support the religion because of some spiritual value, not as a good luck piece...

busybeemom

Spectator
I am so glad to see you post again, Nadine. I always appreciate your perspective and have missed seeing your messages.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hi busybeemom, :)

Well, it looks like you've *never* posted (lol), until now. And I thank you for your kind comment (much appreciated), especially seeing as how you are a senior member & have been around even longer than me, by a few months. :)^)

Lol, to tell the truth, it just feels like yesterday I used to post here, and I see nothing has changed (both good & bad, the usual).

Taking time off & not following f.s. like I used to, especially after COP's implementation, I'm glad I did so, as watching the Ladies Olympic FS was like watching skating again as kid with fresh unspoiled eyes, and I got to appreciate each & every one. But, that said, when Sasha took the ice, I was literally blown away! And would advise everybody to take a year or more off f.s., then watch, whoa there's nothing like it. Hard to explain, but not being influenced by others' opinions both good & bad, one can watch & *really&truly* appreciate when one sees a phenomenal performance, which Sasha's was. Yes, Miki Ando is a still my favorite skater, but that had nothing to do with how I felt when Sasha became Juliette. Like I said, her single performance alone is what brought me back after a 2 yr. absence (no lie). Nothing else.

What continues to break my heart for her is that she has the capability of being the BEST f.s. in history (bar none, even my all-time favs Sonja, Oksana, Sarah)! This I say b/c no one, and I mean no one can touch her when she's *on*, and that includes doing the difficult jumps. Yet, she never has been *on*. And by that I mean fulfilling the technical part as well. And I'm not just talking about completing 7 triple jumps or adding a 3/3 combo., spin, et al. What I mean by that is she's capable of being the only woman in history to FULLY ROTATE the 4S. Yes, Miki Ando's was ratified as such, but she's never fully rotated it, ever. Whereas Sasha's has not only been fully rotated, but *overrated* (no lie). My tapes nor do my eyes lie.

I'll never give up on Sasha. I seriously don't care if she never wins the Olympic Gold Medal or becomes World Champion, I'd just like to see her complete O-N-E perfect routine, with the 4S, at a major international competition, or Nationals. That's it. Just to show the world that she can do it. I'll send her flowers.

Gotta go, been on too long as it is.

Bye, Nadine

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I liked that she acknowledged she was lucky to win the silver. She even realizes what a farce it was, but was gracious enough to recognize that. I agree she is maturing greatly.

R.D.

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
I liked that she acknowledged she was lucky to win the silver. She even realizes what a farce it was, but was gracious enough to recognize that. I agree she is maturing greatly.

She was lucky, but lucky only because only one of her competitors stepped up to the plate. Remember, it's not her fault that everyone else fell or messed up...it's only her fault that SHE fell and messed up.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
She was lucky, but lucky only because only one of her competitors stepped up to the plate. Remember, it's not her fault that everyone else fell or messed up...it's only her fault that SHE fell and messed up.

She messed up worse than her competitors. She was the only one in the final flight of 6 women with two falls in the final flight. Nowhere but these Olympics would she have beaten Irina with two falls.

R.D.

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Nowhere but these Olympics would she have beaten Irina with two falls.

Now THIS comment ITA with. It was shocking enough that she got a medal, but even more shocking that Irina skated the way she did. I thought (Irina) would have at least gotten silver. That was just unbelieveable!

She still has a chance at the World Championship. Maybe a World title might appease her a bit.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
Now THIS comment ITA with. It was shocking enough that she got a medal, but even more shocking that Irina skated the way she did. I thought (Irina) would have at least gotten silver. That was just unbelieveable!

She still has a chance at the World Championship. Maybe a World title might appease her a bit.

I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying. I am saying this Olympics is the only event the judges would have placed Cohen over Irina with two falls, it has nothing to do with being shocked with Irina's performance, I am not changing one thing about that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
(The comments after my first sentence are my own thought, and had nothing to do with your comment.)

I dunno. I still think it's really odd that Cohen got placed above Slutskaya (especially after the way they've been rewarding Slute with such BIG scores even with mistakes). THAT was the shocker. The judges really set her up on this one, IMO. but in the end, I think the right choice was made.

Maybe a panel with more Eastern countries would have had slute in second place. But what's happened has happened.

kyla2

Final Flight
Not Shocking At All

It's not shocking at all that Sasha placed above Irina with two falls. They both landed 5 triples for starters, and secondly, Sasha's program was light years ahead of Irina's, choreographically. Sasha's spiral sequence is superior and her spins are equal or better than Irina's in all but speed. When you factor in the PCS, it's easy to see how she placed above her. Also, add in the silliness of giving points for a rotated jump that isn't landed and that's why she placed over Irina. Some people feel Fumie should have placed over Irina.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Looking back, I agree...Cohen was livelier than Slutskaya. But AT THE TIME it was a shock to me. I so didn't expect bronze for Irina! Silver at worst...but not bronze.