Sasha | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
kyla2 said:
I have to tell you I was very impressed with the way Sasha handled the questions after she skated. She said that she felt lucky to get any medal and that she didn't think she would even end up on the podium. She has matured into a very poised and likable young woman. I have alot of respect for Sasha for fighting back and for her poise in handling tough questions. She showed grace and dignity and was a credit to her country.
I agree.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
slutskayafan21 said:
I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying. I am saying this Olympics is the only event the judges would have placed Cohen over Irina with two falls, it
Sasha only had one fall.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
I count two hands on the ice as a fall. It may not have been COUNTED as a fall per the rules, but to me it's still a fall. She lost her balance and had to put BOTH hands on the ice.

I say she was very lucky to win silver.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
I count two hands on the ice as a fall. It may not have been COUNTED as a fall per the rules, but to me it's still a fall. She lost her balance and had to put BOTH hands on the ice.

I say she was very lucky to win silver.

I think she had 2 falls also (one hand on the ice for me is as good as a fall) but I still think she deserved the silver, there is more to figure skating than jumps and everything else about her program was far above the Irina and the other girls behind her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
one hand touching the ice is OK. But she had an outright fall- she lost her balance and the only reason she didn't splat (I hate to use that word, but it's the only way to get my point across here) is because she put two hands down on the ice.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Does anyone know if the "bonus points" (awarded for jumps landed after the two-
minute mark) played a big role in Sasha's score?

Seriously, I think the fact that Sasha could "come back" from two straight mistakes and finish the rest of her program strongly had a strong effect on the judges. (In 2002, after Michelle two-footed the planned 3/3 and then fell, her strong come-back from these mistakes, IMO, helped keep her on the podium)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
kyla2 said:
It's not shocking at all that Sasha placed above Irina with two falls. They both landed 5 triples for starters, and secondly, Sasha's program was light years ahead of Irina's, choreographically.
Cohen landed five triples (3Lo, 3F, 2-3Sa's, 3T), two of them in sequence (3T and 3S). Slutskaya landed four triples (3Lu, 3S, 3F, 3T).

emma

Record Breaker
I don't know if this is the right spot to post this, but I just wanted to say how beautiful I thought Cohen's program was. When she first announced this program, I was like 'well, it's gonna be pretty but this is taking the easy road' or some such thought. The program, as we know, evolved over the season, with significant help from the brilliant Wilson, and both at US Nationals and the Olympics I thought this is one of the best put together programs I have seen by a woman in a long time. IMO, of course, I just think it's top rate. All of the nuances and detail plus that great Sasha delivery with stretch and extension and pointed toes...and emotion, a LOT of it I might add...were some of the elements I really enjoyed. I am very happy that Sasha recovered from the fall to deliver a big piece of this fabulous program, and really hope she can give it clean at Worlds. I just think it will go down as one of the great programs in skating history.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
How many did Suguri and Rochette land?

My main problem is not how Cohen was graded in comparison with Slutskaya, but how Cohen's LP was marked in comparison with the LPs of Suguri and Rochette -- not only technically but artistically (natural musicality). Rochette is THE natural artist of the lot, when it comes to truly skating with and feeling the music, IMO.

flying camel

Medalist
Sasha was one of the few skaters who mixed difficult transitions going in and out of most of her jumps. As much as I love Fumie she just did crossovers from one end of the rink to the other. That makes the jumps easier to land. I think Cohen was fairly rewarded for what she did. I am not sure about Rochette. I would have to go back and look at her skate.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
I liked that she acknowledged she was lucky to win the silver. She even realizes what a farce it was, but was gracious enough to recognize that. I agree she is maturing greatly.

Sasha never said it was a farce.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
She was lucky, but lucky only because only one of her competitors stepped up to the plate. Remember, it's not her fault that everyone else fell or messed up...it's only her fault that SHE fell and messed up.

Exactly Red Dog.

But some people will never aknowledge that their favorites messed up too. No one was really at the top of their game.

Shiz was clean, cranked five triples, sold her program alot better than Fumie who did four triples and was flat, and she deserved to win. Period.

kyla2 said:
It's not shocking at all that Sasha placed above Irina with two falls. They both landed 5 triples for starters, and secondly, Sasha's program was light years ahead of Irina's, choreographically. Sasha's spiral sequence is superior and her spins are equal or better than Irina's in all but speed. When you factor in the PCS, it's easy to see how she placed above her. Also, add in the silliness of giving points for a rotated jump that isn't landed and that's why she placed over Irina. Some people feel Fumie should have placed over Irina.

Agreed kyla2.

We can't blame either Sasha or Irina for the way the scoring is set up under the new COP. But even under the old COP skaters have won Olympic medals in spite of falls.

Last edited:

Peggy

On the Ice
emma said:
. All of the nuances and detail plus that great Sasha delivery with stretch and extension and pointed toes...and emotion, a LOT of it I might add...were some of the elements I really enjoyed. I am very happy that Sasha recovered from the fall to deliver a big piece of this fabulous program, and really hope she can give it clean at Worlds. I just think it will go down as one of the great programs in skating history.

I think the judges were just as impressed as some of us were with Sasha's program. I hope the other skaters are taking notice of what will be expected in the future. At least that is my hope for the future of figure skating. I want to see the stretch and a strong artistic program besides the jumps. The attention to detail is what I love about Sasha- every move is finished. Racing around the rink doing jumps to music, doesn't get it for me.

flying camel

Medalist
Peggy said:
I think the judges were just as impressed as some of us were with Sasha's program. I hope the other skaters are taking notice of what will be expected in the future. At least that is my hope for the future of figure skating. I want to see the stretch and a strong artistic program besides the jumps. The attention to detail is what I love about Sasha- every move is finished. Racing around the rink doing jumps to music, doesn't get it for me.

I totally agree with you Peggy. You see a lot of skater copying moves that Sasha uses but they don't have great extensions or stretch. If you are going to copy copy everything. :thumbsup:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
kyla2 said:
I have to tell you I was very impressed with the way Sasha handled the questions after she skated. She said that she felt lucky to get any medal and that she didn't think she would even end up on the podium. She has matured into a very poised and likable young woman. I have alot of respect for Sasha for fighting back and for her poise in handling tough questions. She showed grace and dignity and was a credit to her country.

So am I.

flying camel said:
I totally agree with you Peggy. You see a lot of skater copying moves that Sasha uses but they don't have great extensions or stretch. If you are going to copy copy everything. :thumbsup:
And you will soon be seeing lots of the Shizuka No Hands Y Spiral very shortly. Maybe even by Sasha. One has to count: one banana two banana three banana at least.

Joe

Last edited: