Turkey's First Olympic Skater Tugba Karademir | Golden Skate

Turkey's First Olympic Skater Tugba Karademir

JakL

Spectator
I just wanted to say how fantastic it was watching her skate! I’m really enjoying the Olympics and happen to watch Tugba Karademir, I was just was blown away! I live in Spokane WA and were going to be having a HUGE skating event here, I just hope she comes too.
I had the pleasure of living in Turkey for a few years while I was in the military, and just found a beautiful country with fantastic people. Good luck Tugba and the rest of the Olympic athletes! Im so glad to see the world unite to enjoy sporting events! WooHoo!
:rock:

R.D.

Record Breaker
you know, she sounded very American in her interview. I wonder if she has been here for a while, or has American relatives?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I think she lives in Canada

during her short, NBC mentioned that her family couldn't afford to fly from Canada to watch Tugba skate.

Perhaps her family moved to Canada when she was young. I am not even sure they may have training facilities in Turkey.

Congratulations Tugba!

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Ok, you learn something new everyday..

According to ISU website, Turkey has 4 ladies skaters, all juniors exept Tugba, of course.

Her hometown is listed as ? Canada (sorry forgot). She was born in Ankara. The other 3 ladies all live and train in Turkey.

I wonder if it was Tugba who inspired these ladies.

again, congrats!

IDLERACER

Medalist
Without question, the greatest name in the history of the olympics. It's actually fun to say it out loud. I'm still not convinced that she isn't secretly Jamie Silverstein's twin sister.

ceg15

On the Ice
Yes, Tugba trains at Mariposa in Barrie. So her and her family do live in Canada. When I was there 2 summers ago she gave me a few lessons. She's very nice and a really good skater. I didn't know that she was going to the Olympics, wow, good for her, too bad I didn't see her skate.

katharine.

Spectator
Tugba coached me a fair bit through out my past summers at Mariposa, it's good she's getting out there. She has great potential.

R.D.

Record Breaker
katharine. said:
Tugba coached me a fair bit through out my past summers at Mariposa, it's good she's getting out there. She has great potential.

good deal!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
JakL said:
I just wanted to say how fantastic it was watching her skate! I’m really enjoying the Olympics and happen to watch Tugba Karademir, I was just was blown away! I live in Spokane WA and were going to be having a HUGE skating event here, I just hope she comes too.

I don't think she'll be skating at the US National Championships as she's not American... unless there's another big event you're talking about?

JakL said:
I live in Spokane WA and were going to be having a HUGE skating event here..:
Hey, JakL, I'm from Spokane, too! Shadle Park High, class of '62. Welcome to Golden Skate. Go Tugba!

lotusland

On the Ice
Tugba ad her family moved to Barrie, Ontario, Canada when Tugba was elementry school age. Tugba currently lives in Barrie with her mother, her Dad moved home to Turkey at the end of last year. She trains at the Mariposa School of Skating, and is taught by Robert Tebby. Robert used to coach Jennifer Robinson beofre she switched to Michelle & Doug Leigh. Tugba originally skated in the Canadian competitive system, making the 2001Junior National Team when she placed 5th in Junior Ladies at the Canadian Championships.

Many people have commented that Tugba is a Jennifer Robinson clone :yes:

katharine.

Spectator
lotusland said:
Tugba ad her family moved to Barrie, Ontario, Canada when Tugba was elementry school age. Tugba currently lives in Barrie with her mother, her Dad moved home to Turkey at the end of last year. She trains at the Mariposa School of Skating, and is taught by Robert Tebby. Robert used to coach Jennifer Robinson beofre she switched to Michelle & Doug Leigh. Tugba originally skated in the Canadian competitive system, making the 2001Junior National Team when she placed 5th in Junior Ladies at the Canadian Championships.

Many people have commented that Tugba is a Jennifer Robinson clone :yes:

Copy and paste?

Ya, the first Summer I trained at Mariposa I was like, Jennifer!? But it was Tugba.

kyla2

Final Flight
Ita

I thought she was great and I was very impressed with her. I think her parents are quite wonderul to make some very considerable sacrifices to help her stay in skating. They are all to be congratulated.

N

nthuz

STL_Blues_fan said:
According to ISU website, Turkey has 4 ladies skaters, all juniors exept Tugba, of course.

Her hometown is listed as ? Canada (sorry forgot). She was born in Ankara. The other 3 ladies all live and train in Turkey.

I wonder if it was Tugba who inspired these ladies.

again, congrats!

Would the other two Skaters be Beril and Melissa???

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'd been following Tugba's career since she popped up at Euros a few years ago; I thought a skater from Turkey was quite a novelty. I was glad that she was able to make it to Torino, and I am actually quite impressed with her skating; she definitely needs to work on speed, but she is very graceful and has a very nice style. Good job, Tugba!!