Question about points | Golden Skate

Question about points

kaesie

Rinkside
I understand why Shizuku Arakawa got higher points than Sasha on
jumps. (even though she, too, doubled elements)...

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why she got higher points than Sasha
on choreography, steps, transitions, spins...etc...

Could someone explain this?

In other words, the only area where she should have exceeded
Sasha was in juumps.

Putting the two programs together, Sasha should have been
way ahead on total points.

Sasha's basic skating is lightyears ahead of the others just
as Plushenko's jumps are far beyond his peers.
So she should have been rewarded for that and had a large lead.

This just shows that skating is still biased towards jumps
and that the COP system does NOT work.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Shiza delievered a beautiful smooth performance. Where did you feel Sasha deserved way more points? She might have deserved slightly more for interpretation and she got it. The second mark is no longer a subjective straight artistic number. It's based on transitions, choreography, skating skills, and execution. Sasha had some moments into jumps that were straight crossovers with no linking footwork, her choregrapy was about equal to Shiza, her skating was a little chpoppier than usual while Shiza was smooth, smooth.........Shiza also delivered on the spirals and the spins. Sasha has great spirals but that held high free leg of Shiza's was phenomenal, too.

Sasha Cohen was not robbed of anything. She's darned lucky they were using CoP instead of 6.0 or she might have been off the podium. I thought the judging was much better than usual for the entire Olympics.

Last edited:

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
On thing I don't understand though is why did Fumies jump get -1 instead of a lot of plus....I realise her spins aren't as difficult as the medallists are, but I do believe har Lutz and Flip are just georgeous..(even though she doubled one of them)...and I still think she's undermarked in the PCS...

Spirit

On the Ice
Although Shizuka clearly deserved the gold, there is no way her spins were better.

She had four camel spins during the program and they were all weak (the leg was not raised very well, and at one point was even sagging below horizontal), and they all transitioned into exactly the same position (grabbing the skate blade). Zero variety.

When I heard that her spins had been graded higher than Sasha's and Irina's, my jaw hit the floor. I find that absurd.

Spirit

On the Ice
Engwaciriel said:
well, axactly how much variety does Irina have in her spins (and spirals...)
:laugh:

So Irina's spins are also all the same. She still does them better. Sasha -- way better.

kaesie

Rinkside
sasha redux

Upon replaying my vcr of the competition, I can say, even more emphatically that I am again mesmerized by Sasha's
approach to the ice - her stroking, her levity, floating edges,
swift and effortless spins etc...

Again, i see the only area where Arakawa could beat her
would be in the jumping area...and not by much since
Arakawa doubled some jumps and didn't deliver the goods,
although she did not fall. Her approach to the ice is steady,
and somewhat heavy. Look at the first three strokes of her
program and how her free leg dangles, isn't stretched...

(Remember Kerrigan doubling her triple - that was what lost
her the gold in Lillehammer...)

Anyway, Sk8tnmama wrote that I must be an American fan
of Sashas. Quite to the contrary, I am a former world
competitor in ice dancing from Europe and a fan of
great skating be it Chinese, Russian, American, Canadian or French...etc...You get the point.

And as a skater who competed at the elite level, let me say
that the only other competitive singles skater in Sasha's league was John Curry.

So, if Olympics is a jumping competition - by all means give it to Arakawa.
But if it really is supposed to also be about spins, transitions, choreography and the like, then Sasha should not only have been WAY AHEAD in the short program,
but still beaten Arakawa because of her strengths beyond the jumps and deductions which should have been made on Arakawa's spins, transitions and doubled jumps.

That's my opinion...but also why there is an entire judging PANEL. Everyone sees it differently. I'm seeing it from the pov of having done it... And I:bow: to Sasha...and to Mr. Nicks. (My goodness, between Tai & Randy and Sasha...he's quite the extraordinary coach - along with Tarasova and Moskvina...The BIG THREE)

As Dick Button said, "I'll take the 2 mistakes for the rest of the program..."

Enough said...

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
kaesie said:
Upon replaying my vcr of the competition, I can say, even more emphatically that I am again mesmerized by Sasha's

great skating be it Chinese, Russian, American, Canadian or French...etc...You get the point.

that the only other competitive singles skater in Sasha's league was John Curry.

But if it really is supposed to also be about spins, transitions, choreography and the like, then Sasha should not only have been WAY AHEAD in the short program,
but still beaten Arakawa because of her strengths beyond the jumps and deductions which should have been made on Arakawa's spins, transitions and doubled jumps.

That's my opinion...but also why there is an entire judging PANEL. Everyone sees it differently. I'm seeing it from the pov of having done it... And I:bow: to Sasha...and to Mr. Nicks. (My goodness, between Tai & Randy and Sasha...he's quite the extraordinary coach - along with Tarasova and Moskvina...The BIG THREE)

Enough said...

The only questionable judging for me came in the Short Program. On that night Sasha should have blown the field away on points based on the overall quality of her magnificent performance. She was the Short Program Champion that night and I wish they gave golds for the SP. :)

That being said as much as I love both Sasha and Irina at the end of the day I prefer to see the Olympic Champion crowned with no falls in her program like the elegant Shizuka. Her win was well deserved.

Kasey

Medalist
kaesie said:
Sasha's basic skating is lightyears ahead of the others just
as Plushenko's jumps are far beyond his peers. .

:rofl: I think Sasha's "basic skating skills", in terms of speed, stroking and edging, are light years BEHIND both Slutskaya and Arakawa. Choreographically, flexibility, spirals/spins, yes, she may edge them both out, but not in basic skating.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight

You're entitled to your opinion-but a panel of twelve international judges and a lot of skating fans (yes, many of whom were also skaters-myself included) disagree.

I'm sorry but this:
let me say
that the only other competitive singles skater in Sasha's league was John Curry
in my opinion, is over the top. It's hard to read your comments objectively when you include statements like that.

kaesie said:
I understand why Shizuku Arakawa got higher points than Sasha on
jumps. (even though she, too, doubled elements)...
and who fell on her jumps? duh.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why she got higher points than Sasha
on choreography, steps, transitions, spins...etc...
Both had excellent choreography. I think Sasha's was better, but the music does not have the soaring swells of Turando. No one ever loses with Nesum Durme.

In other words, the only area where she should have exceeded
Sasha was in juumps.
Shiz matched Sasha in the Spiral sequence and showed innovation with the 'No Hands Y chage edge spiral'. sasha could have done that, I am sure, but it was Shiz's innovative move.

Shiz's No Hand Y Spiral will be up for grabs next year, especially in Juniors. Watch of Sasha and Alissa to copy.

Joe

Last edited:
Kyla - Don't beg me to use a movie cliche to answer that.:laugh:

We all have our opinions. With the poor skate of Irina both Ladies , Sasha and Shizuka had a chance for gold. Only one could make it. Over and out.

Joe

M

mylastduchess

kaesie said:

Enough said...

First of all for all for a former Ice Dancer you know too little about the sport. I'm sorry I don't know anyone who has any knowledge of the sport could ever criticize either Sasha or Arakawa of having bad lines... Arakawa didn't win Worlds from nothing!

Lets see Shizuka doubled one jump, but her jumps are high and has the same fluidity coming in and out of the jump... Sasha fell on two, and only executed one combination... not to mention her jumps are low!

now lets talk about transitions... how many unusual entrances did Sasha have before her jumps?

And please tell me how exactly did sasha became faster than Shizuka... Shizuka's basic skating skills and strokes, edges, choreo is equal if not better than Sasha... which the PCS showed they were almost tied in that mark

Shizuka's elements is just as hard as Sasha although hers does not have the wow factor Sasha has. For example the Spiral sequence.

I love Sasha to death but no way could anyone claim that she beat Arakawa that night! They have different skating styles, that doesn't mean one is miles ahead of the other!

Last edited:

kaesie

Rinkside
skating opinions & knowledge or the lack there of

mylastduchess said:
First of all for all for a former Ice Dancer you know too little about the sport. I'm sorry I don't know anyone who has any knowledge of the sport could ever criticize either Sasha or Arakawa of having bad lines... Arakawa didn't win Worlds from nothing!

I would never criticize Sasha's lines. They are beyond perfect.

I guess I wasted my $ taking lessons from the finest coaches in the world, not to mention my time since I know "too little" about the sport.

No one can tell how fast a skater is truly going or how high their jumps
truly are by watching the event on television. So unless you were at these
events, or unless I was at these events, it's a moot point who was going
faster than whom...

This is not a forum for me to talk about myself...but a forum
to energetically engage in discussion of skating. And I assume
all of us love it impossibly much.

M

mylastduchess

kaesie said:
mylastduchess said:

I would never criticize Sasha's lines. They are beyond perfect.

I guess I wasted my $ taking lessons from the finest coaches in the world, not to mention my time since I know "too little" about the sport.

No one can tell how fast a skater is truly going or how high their jumps
truly are by watching the event on television. So unless you were at these
events, or unless I was at these events, it's a moot point who was going
faster than whom...

This is not a forum for me to talk about myself...but a forum
to energetically engage in discussion of skating. And I assume
all of us love it impossibly much.

You know anyone in the Internet especially those who doesn't have a life could claim they are whoever they want to be! Yes you can tell how high a person jumps in T.V. especially if you've seen them live, two I I haven't read anything from your post that tells me you've even ever been out to a skating rink!

kaesie

Rinkside
baiting?

You're quite right that anyone can become
anybody on the internet...it is also
a wonderful forum in which one can share
ideas.

if you don't want to believe that I competed at
numerous international competitions and the
world championships, that is your prerogative...
but you are mistaken...

as i said before, this forum is not about me
but about the sport...and sharing perspectives
on it.

a skater doesn't skate in a vacuumn and for
me it is interesting to learn what others think
of the sport, whether competitor, social skater
or fan.

As far as perspectives and opinions, you may
or may not be interested to know that my
partner (if you want to believe i actually had one)
shares the exact same opinion on the competition
and its outcome. perhaps that is indicative of
our training, our definition of what figure skating
is or could be, and what we strove to achieve
on the ice. face it, there will always be tension
between artistry and sport. that's what makes
figure skating so compelling.

i'd rather talk about sasha, kimmie, etc...
than speak any more about whether or not
i actually set foot on the ice... so let's end
this and get on with skating talk, shall we?