Who Do You Think Will Show Up in Calgary? | Golden Skate

Who Do You Think Will Show Up in Calgary?

Will Arakawa show up?

Will Kwan show up?

Will Cohen go for a gold Worlds?

Will Slutskaya want to end the season on a gold note?

Will Emily definitely go for the podium?

Will Kimmie want to show that she is now No.l in Calgary?

Will Joannie be on the podium?

Will Fumie now disappear from eligible?

Will Gedenashvili show up?

Will other European and Chinese Ladies show up with the long trip to Calgary?

Will Mao Asada win the 2006 Worlds and end this Kwan Era?

Enquiring Minds Want To Know

If you're thinking, let's hear your thoughts.:clap:

Joe :)

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
So sorry that Ira didn't take gold! There will NEVER be another Irina! There will be more Kwan, Cohen, Joubert, and else, but there will never be another Carolina, another Irina and another Plushenko!
Who will show up? Honestly, I think that Arakawa will not compete anymore. Hmm...I am not sure about Cohen. Carolina has chance!!! Forza Carolina!!!!!
Others? Anything is possible!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IIRC Sasha has said she's going... and Irina has said the Olys were her final competition...

Plushenko has waffled back and forth if he's going or not...

Kwan can't go according to how the bye was worded, at least that's how I saw it, so if Sasha/Kimmie/Emily bows out Katy Taylor is next in line....

Will Matt Savoie be in Calgary?

Buzzz

Final Flight
I will be surprised if any of the medalist except maybe Belbin/Agosto shows up.
And everyone from 4th down who is not injured will be there.

Lucy25

Final Flight
I know Sasha is saying she will be at World's, but my gut feeling is that she will not. I read on Skatefans that Katy Taylor's name is off the list for Jr. Worlds; perhaps as a replacement for Senior Worlds?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Cohen confirmed that she is going, barring injury of course.

When Irina was asked whether she would continue, she said something to the effect of "Let's see." She didn't outright say No, so maybe she might continue as well...?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
I know Sasha is saying she will be at World's, but my gut feeling is that she will not. I read on Skatefans that Katy Taylor's name is off the list for Jr. Worlds; perhaps as a replacement for Senior Worlds?

Hmm. Very odd. Maybe she just doesn't want to go? I find it hard to believe that Cohen would say she is going and then not go. If there was any doubt she should have said, "I'll see how things go" or something.

Lucy25

Final Flight
I am thinking more that her lingering injuries might get the best of her while training for Worlds.

shadymc

Rinkside
I read somewhere that Irina's agent said she is rethinking her decision not to go to worlds since last night.

I doubt very much Shizuka will be there, Fumie, Nakano and Ando should be able to secure 3 spots for the team.

Sasha's groin is a huge concern, but I think she will crawl to worlds if she has to. With Arakawa out and Irina a question mark, this will be the best chance of her career to win worlds.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
There will NEVER be another Irina! There will be more Kwan, Cohen, Joubert, and else, but there will never be another Carolina, another Irina and another Plushenko!

Excuse me? I beg your pardon, but there will never be another Kwan or Cohen.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Will Arakawa show up? Doubtful, with the media frenzy she will be dealing with.

Will Kwan show up? Worlds was never part of the agreement. Taylor would go instead.

Will Cohen go for a gold Worlds? If her health holds, she will be there.

Will Slutskaya want to end the season on a gold note? Turin was supposed to be her last competition, but there are rumors she is reconsidering.

Will Emily definitely go for the podium? She will be there, but not on the podium.

Will Kimmie want to show that she is now No.l in Calgary? Depending on who shows up she might have an shot at a medal.

Will Joannie be on the podium? Possibly.

Will Fumie now disappear from eligible? I think she will probably go and with either Slute or Arakawa out (possibly both) she could be on the podium.

Will Gedenashvili show up? Don't know.

Will other European and Chinese Ladies show up with the long trip to Calgary? Don't know.

Will Mao Asada win the 2006 Worlds and end this Kwan Era? She is still too young to attend per the rules. 2007 will be her first.

Ogre Mage

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I don't know who is going, but, Joe, babe, English teacher here. "whom" is not correct in your title. "Who" is correct. Though it doesn't look or sound nearly as cool, I know. ;)

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Elene Gedevanishvili is scheduled to go to both Junior and Senior Worlds this year, if I recall correctly.

Nan

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I think, barring injury, Sasha will go. If she plans to retire, going and losing it will not hurt her. However, going there and winning might translate into more $. She hasn't anything to lose really and a lot to gain. If she doesn't plan on retiring, the US powers-that-be would not be happy if she left the job of securing world spots to 3 newcomers. That could come back to bite her..

PrincessLeppard said:
I don't know who is going, but, Joe, babe, English teacher here. "whom" is not correct in your title. "Who" is correct. Though it doesn't look or sound nearly as cool, I know. ;)
Thanks Princess - But someone must have already changed it to who, but I prefer the cool whom:cool: :cool: :)

Joe

Dibs

Rinkside
I think there will never be another Irina, Michelle, or Sasha again. Irina has the power and charisma that makes a true champion. Michelle was an elegant skater that thrived under competition and has a resume that places her ahead of almost any other skater in history. And Sasha has an elegance and presence and 95% of the spiral sequences in the last four years have been made in her image. Each of these skaters will not be forgotten or replaced. I would like to see any up and coming skaters in the next fifty years display Irina's wealth of talent, Michelle's transcendent skating (not to mention the 9 national titles, 5 WC titles, & 2 Olympic medals), and Sasha's grace, posture, and positions.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Will Arakawa show up?
No. The press she'll have to do in Japan now will be enormous. Better to be the undisputed champ than to risk losing at Worlds, too.

Will Kwan show up?
No. I think she was just staying in to get a crack at Olys.

Will Cohen go for a gold Worlds?
She has said yes. She has a good shot at gold if the others don't show.

Will Slutskaya want to end the season on a gold note?
No. She looked tired and stressed at Olys.

Will Emily definitely go for the podium?
Yes. I don't see her ont he podium because she needs work on the second mark but she'll give it her all.

Will Kimmie want to show that she is now No.l in Calgary?
That's twice I've seen Kimmie flub in major competition. She seems at her best at US Nats. I think we may have another Sasha on our hands with Kimmie, asone who has trouble pulling together both programs in the big competitions.

Will Joannie be on the podium?
She'll have to skate her butt off. She *can* be. She'll have the roaring Canadian crowd behind her for sure.

Will Fumie now disappear from eligible?
Probably. She's been in so long and the talent coming up in Japan is too strong.

Will Gedenashvili show up?
Yep. Though I wasn't very impressed with her. I think she was lucky with the clean short. When they were talking her up as 'seeing a lot of her in the future', I felt Mao and Kim would kick her butt. She's not the best of the youngsters.

Will other European and Chinese Ladies show up with the long trip to Calgary?
????

Will Mao Asada win the 2006 Worlds and end this Kwan Era?
Very possibly.

Mao can't go to Worlds because she is not old enough (same eligibility rule as for the Olympics).

Michelle can't go because she was not named to the U.S. team (Sasha, Kimmie and Emily, with Katy Taylor as the alternate).

MM :)