Second-place disappointment sinks in for Cohen- new article | Golden Skate

Second-place disappointment sinks in for Cohen- new article

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I was rooting for Sasha for gold. Second place is not what she was
hoping for. She put on a good face on Thursday with the media but
I am sure it was very painful for her. I also felt bad for Irina.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Boo hoo, if it wasnt for the gift judging she wouldnt have even won silver. I feel very happy for Arakawa despite feeling dissapointed for Irina, and feel zero sympathy for Sasha, not one iota. Elvis Stojko in the CBC booth said he would have had Cohen 5th, that her scores were grossly inflated.

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, it's not good when anyone's dream gets crushed. I don't like Irina one bit but still felt bad for her Thursday night. It's one of those things one just can't help, really.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Boo hoo, if it wasnt for the gift judging she wouldnt have even won silver. I feel very happy for Arakawa despite feeling dissapointed for Irina, and feel zero sympathy for Sasha, not one iota. Elvis Stojko in the CBC booth said he would have had Cohen 5th, that her scores were grossly inflated.
Gee, what are the odds that someone with the name "Slutskayafan" would have any sympathy for Sasha's feelings? All she did was honestly admit that she was disappointed in her skating but that it was time to move on. If you had spent years chasing a dream and lost it because of your own undoing, you might understand from where she is coming.

Oh, well, if Elvis says it, it must be true, huh? Puh-lease. No sign of bias there, right? If Sasha had been placed 5th, then his countrywoman, Rochette would have placed higher. :p

kyla2

Final Flight
Hmmmm...

Slutskayafan, please keep up the nasty comments so everyone can see what kind of person you really are. You really are a charmer.

Sasha has matured tremendously and she handled this all with grace and poise. She should be proud of herself and her silver medal. As Phil Hersh himself said, she deserved the silver medal for a 5 triple jump skate and the best program of the bunch. It was not a gift. She won the silver.

Shizuka deserved her gold and Irina deserved the bronze (although there are many people who think Fumie deserved the bronze). I wish they all could have gotten the gold for different reasons. Thank goodness they all have infintely more class than some of their fans.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I don't think she sounds sad.

She skated as well as she could under the circumstanse. And won the silver, deservedly consider Irina's bonze.....There was nothing to blame her for even Peggy was there, they can't comment her as greatest practice skate this time. She knew it she was lucky (Nop Slutskayafan not the sense of what you talking about) that she is able to pull this off and won the silver. She left the falls at beginning (first 30-40 seconds) behind, skated stronger and stronger, with emotion and connection. When her program finished I almost forgot her falls at the beginning (this is from a non sasha fan) felt as if she skated the program as a whole and complete one......Now with Irina, after the double flip and fall, she let the program gone, the program complete disintegrated, not that program had good choreography to begin with. She skated sloppier and sloppier not that she had refiness to begin with either. It was clear not her night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucy25

Final Flight
I was waiting for this kind of talk to come out and it is very brave of Sasha to admit it so soon. It has got to really sting knowing she came so close again to a major title and messed up again. She knows the media is going to never forget it and continue pushing her reputation as a choaker. It has got to be so frustrating. It is easy for us to say that she needs to focus on how she never gave up in her Olympic LP and came away with the silver, but at the end of the day, she still doesn't have gold and people are still going to be saying the same things about her and she is going to have to find a way to deal with that. Much like Michelle has had to do. The only difference is that Michelle has many gold medals from Worlds, so it probably stings a bit less for her. Maybe Sasha can win worlds and that will help her move on. I hope so. I don't know how I would handle that kind of psychological situation.

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:

Elvis is someone to talk about Sasha not winning the Gold at Olympics!! Where is his Olympic Gold? What room does he have to talk! How come all of a sudden these commentators have all the answers and are pros on everything! :biggrin:

I don't think Sasha is down in the dumps sad. She's accepting the results like a lady and moreso like a real sportsperson.

It's all a far cry from when she was so outspoken of others and her feisty remarks in general. She has matured now and so has her skating. She should not feel any let down in that wonderful performance.

What could be disheartening is the thought of another 4 years (not unlike another US diva had to do). With the Japanese Federation all hopped up over Shizuka, and the picture of Mao in the future and how many other Maos are there. Will the aging thing and love of other interests creep into her life?

The decision to go on is Sasha's and like Kwan, I support her fully what ever it is.

Joe

kaesie

Rinkside
Elvis Stoyko remark

I loved Elvis' skating...
but...

he wouldn't understand what Sasha tries
to do on the ice artistically. They "speak"
2 different languages of movement...and
apparently he doesn't find Sasha's type of skating
appealing...and certainly doesn't seem to know
how challenging it is to stretch every single
muscle of the body in an exquisite, seemingly
endless line like a ballet dancer.

So the "goods" for him would be athletic jumps
and she didn't come up with the goods from
his point of view.

It's a good thing we have a PANEL of judges...

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
As far as Stojko was concerned in this interview, everything between jumps is an "in-between" and has no difficulty. I thought it was hypocritical that he gave Buttle no credit for attempting the quad, although it was fully rotated, but gave Zhang/Zhang all of the credit in the world for attempting the Throw 4, on which Dan Zhang was injured because she made a mistake and endangered herself by opening at 3.5 revolutions.

I think the only thing he got right was that Rochette has greater speed and better jumps than Cohen, but then Rochette has greater speed and better jumps than Suguri, and he didn't have Rochette above Suguri in his rankings, either.

K-Mo

On the Ice
I realize that to the casual fan, the Olympics are the be-all, end-all prize, and I wish that wasn't so. Irina and Michelle are multiple time world champions, but the casual fan thinks they have failed, or that gold has eluded them. Now Sasha is being lumped in there, too. We, as skating fans, know better, but it still bothers me.

geoskate

On the Ice
I was very disappointed in Elvis' remarks, so much so that I changed the channel and listened to something else. He sounded angry at life. However, as to the content of his remarks (of what I heard):

1. If he wants to make it purely a jumping contest (which is what he seemed to think it should be), then if I remember correctly Sasha landed five jumps and Fumie landed four. He did seem to be focusing on the falls. In that case, he could have just said that the new system needs a greater penalty for falls, and left it at that.
2. His remarks illustrate exactly why the new system WAS needed. He seemed to think that "I would have put someone in x place and someone else in y place" was an adequate description of how to judge programs. There was very little backup for his opinions, except that he liked someone better than someone else. At least on the technical side, the new system is far more objective than Elvis is. Objectively, on the technical side, Sasha outskated Fumie five jumps to four, even ignoring Sasha's better spirals and slightly better spins.

I don't think that I will bother to listen to what Elvis has to say about skating in the future.

artsciboy

On the Ice
geoskate said:
I was very disappointed in Elvis' remarks, so much so that I changed the channel and listened to something else. He sounded angry at life. However, as to the content of his remarks (of what I heard):

1. If he wants to make it purely a jumping contest (which is what he seemed to think it should be), then if I remember correctly Sasha landed five jumps and Fumie landed four. He did seem to be focusing on the falls. In that case, he could have just said that the new system needs a greater penalty for falls, and left it at that.
I don't think that I will bother to listen to what Elvis has to say about skating in the future.

Fumie landed 5 triples - 2 lutzes, a flip, a salchow and a toe. I would agree that she deserved the TES scores that she got, but she was held down in the PCS scores, and Sasha held up.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I always hate to hear when athletes feel disapointed because they didn't get the "gold" medal. Only one person can come out on top. A gold medal doesn't make a great athlete. A silver medal or for that matter a bronze isn't too shabby. Both Sasha and Irina should be proud of themselves for their skating accomplishments.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I did not get the impression from the article that Sasha is disappointed in her second place!

I would say that Sasha has every reason to feel proud about this Olympics and her silver medal. Rightfully she can feel disappointed in her skating (a little part of it). She skated a beautiful short programme performance, best of all. In freeskate she had a terrible warm-up and after two early mistakes in the programme she found her composure again and continued her skating really strongly and beautifully. After the mistakes she went on, did not give up, and that is most admirable in an athlete, a sign of a strong character, in my opinion. Bravo, Sasha!!!

Last edited:

anniemg

Rinkside
I think Sasha is happy with her medal but she keeps wondering 'why' and 'what if'. It is not easy to accept that you messed up on the night when everything should and could very well had been perfect. She is dissapointed in her skate because she really did believe that she 'd get it right this time around. Just see the fluffs they did on her before the Olys.

I'd feel like that anyway. We have no idea how she's thinking.

geoskate said:
2. His remarks illustrate exactly why the new system WAS needed. He seemed to think that "I would have put someone in x place and someone else in y place" was an adequate description of how to judge programs.
That is an outstanding point, which, IMHO, ought to swamp any criticism of the New Judging System and how it played out in this particular contest. If anyone wants to know why Sasha placed second despite mistakes, it's right there in black and white.

About Sasha feeling sad at falling one step short of her goal, to me the main reason why she must be kicking herself is because in retrospect, Irina left the door so wide open for her. All the pre-event hype was, Irina was a shoo-in, but maybe Sasha had a slim outside chance if she skated perfectly. The actual contest turned out a lot different.

The only arm-chair prognosticators who can pat themselves on the back are those who said, "Anything can happen."

MM :)