Picabo Street's biting words to women's ski team | Golden Skate

Picabo Street's biting words to women's ski team

Johar

Medalist
Did anybody catch her speech? She said you get what you give when it comes to training and some people have alot of growing up to do, and to "lose the tiara!"

The tiara remark was directed at a specific member who went on and won Gold. But I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of Street's bad side.

Last edited:

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
I saw it. Man, it was harsh! I would love to hear what she has to say now that Mancuso has won a gold medal!

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Engwaciriel said:
what's so wrong with the tiara? Or the pearls? Or the cat ears? i kinda like them..
:p
Yeah, I thought perhaps Picabo had other problems with her since she called her out for immaturity. I mean, your big beef is that she's playful? Of course, Picabo was (is?) pretty intense. She has a lot of personality, but she was super-focused on skiing and (from what little I saw of it) a maniacal trainer. I remember seeing her do jump-squats as she was rehabbing her knee- she was almost scary. I got the feeling, though I can't think of a definitive quote, that she questioned their commitment to training. Still, all she really specifically mentioned was the tiara.

soogar

Record Breaker
sk8fanconvert said:
I saw it. Man, it was harsh! I would love to hear what she has to say now that Mancuso has won a gold medal!

But Mancuso wasn't wearing her tiara when she won gold.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Good point, Soogar.... Street is a piece of work (in the good sense...) and she doesn't play when it comes to training... so I can see why she has issues with the underperforming US team, espcially since she willed herself to win her gold medal. I personally think that Street is awesome and I can't wait until her Grand Dame of US Sking rubs off on US skaters... that will make my day...:p

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
soogar said:
But Mancuso wasn't wearing her tiara when she won gold.
She only wears it for the slalom I believe (the slowest, least dangerous event). And it came back for the medal ceremony.

From the San Francisco Chronicle (author Gwen Knapp)
She had to wear a helmet in the giant slalom, because it is too long and fast for anyone to choose costume jewelry as headgear. But it reappeared on the medals stand, where Mancuso pulled back the hood of her jacket to reveal the silvery crown just as she was about to receive her gold medal.

"I think my coaches bought it at Wal-Mart,'' she said in an interview after the ceremony. "It was just a joke. We had some gag gifts given at the end of the year. They told me I was the team princess. I'm wearing it for my coaches.''​

I think she may have worn it for Picabo, too. Then again, she may not have heard anything about Picabo's comments until after the games.
There's a pretty cute picture of her from the medal ceremony here:
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1660757

soogar

Record Breaker
sk8fanconvert said:
She only wears it for the slalom I believe (the slowest, least dangerous event). And it came back for the medal ceremony.

Probably why she went so slow in the slalom; so she wouldn't lose that junk.