Irina Retiring... (?) | Golden Skate

Irina Retiring... (?)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Here is a quote I got off of FSU:

- I have made everything, that could. And now, I think, it is time to me to become mum. I have solved, that it is necessary to give birth.

and the article in Russian (can anyone who understands Russian confirm this?)

http://www.kp.ru/daily/23663.4/50269/print/

She may or may not go to Worlds...I guess there's been no confirmation on this...

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I wouldn't call it an official announcement

KP is kind of a tabloid type newspaper, and I would personally wait for an official announcement. The article talks more about the random selection of scores and only mentions Irina briefly.

The translation is correct. I would, however, translate the last sentense as "I have decided that I need to give birth".

no news there in the desire to have a baby. Irina has spoken about it for a long time so I fully expected her to retire in 2006. I was hoping she would get the OGM and retire then, but now there is still an option of going to Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
thanks. Not understanding Russian, there was no way for me to know.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
There is a report by John Zimmerman on Yahoo's Olympic page - and Zimmerman says it is confirmed - that Irina threw a tantrum after the medal ceremony and chucked her bronze medal into a trash bin.

Ordinarily I would say "Don't be too hard on her, she's been through an awful lot of adversity". But she knew - or should have known - that she didn't do a Gold Medal performance. Being disappointed is one thing - throwing a medal in the trash because it's color is not gold is a breach of acceptable conduct, and if this news goes international, she'd be wise not to show up in Calgary.

I've always admired Irina as a person, though I've never cared for her skating. I would say that this incident is FAR less offensive than the '94 atrocity at Worlds when Surya Bonaly took her medal from around her neck and held it in her hand while still on the podium and then tossed it into the crowd while walking off the ice. THAT was a public disgrace.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I remember several years ago when she said she wanted to born a baby!
:rofl:

K-Mo

On the Ice
From what I've seen and heard, Irina is very endearing when she's on top, but is also a very sore loser. I respect Irina a great deal. I know it must be hard to live up to the pressure with the press milling around, but a tantrum? Come on, Irina.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Irina Slutskaya's tantrum: After the ladies' free skate, word was going around that Irina Slutskaya was so angry about her placement that she ended up throwing her bronze medal in the trash. Later reports confirmed this to be true. I know Irina to be a sweet and jovial person with a sincere personality. She was under considerable pressure with her and her mother's personal health matters and was bitterly disappointed with not winning the gold. I know she wanted to win very much, and got caught up in the emotions of such a pressured-filled event.
I can't believe someone would do such a thing. That wasn't very mature of her.

mike79

On the Ice
While it might be silly to throw the medal away we can't really imagine the stress she was under at the time. I feel bad for anyone who has to go through that kind of pressure, i.e. Irina, Michelle, Sasha, etc.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
OMG! Someone was upset at not achieving their life dream! What shock and horror! Of course, we deal with stress like that on daily basis, so we have every reason in the world to judge.

There is nothing to indicate that Irina thought her placement unfair (as she did in 2002). You know, one can get pretty upset even if everything is fair. The words I caught her telling Gromova in K&C (before the scores went up) were "And there go 4 years of work!".

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
If Slutskaya did toss the medal, I don't think there should have been any press milling around to see it in the first place, and that she should have been given privacy, just as I think Nancy Kerrigan should have been given privacy backstage waiting for the 1994 medal ceremony. If a member of Slutskaya's camp leaked it to the press, that person should be slapped silly, in my opinion.

I thought it was in horrible taste for Zimmerman to have mentioned it in the first place, and a professional breach to talk about rumors without attribution.

maruru

Rinkside
hockeyfan228 said:
If Slutskaya did toss the medal, I don't think there should have been any press milling around to see it in the first place, and that she should have been given privacy, just as I think Nancy Kerrigan should have been given privacy backstage waiting for the 1994 medal ceremony. If a member of Slutskaya's camp leaked it to the press, that person should be slapped silly, in my opinion.

I thought it was in horrible taste for Zimmerman to have mentioned it in the first place, and a professional breach to talk about rumors without attribution.

I agree, totally... and I would take a person who throw a tantrum that way (immature and unwise perhaps, but it's very much human as well) over a person who leaks privacy that way, pretty much any day of the week.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
If Slutskaya did toss the medal, I don't think there should have been any press milling around to see it in the first place,
Well said.

Mafke

Medalist
It's called temperament folks and she hasn't gotten where has by not having one.

In public she behaved completely appropriately and is perfectly entitled to vent in private without some nouveau soi disant "journalist" blabbing about it to the whole world. This makes me think worse of Zimmerman, not Slutskaya.

FauveNik

Rinkside
IF she thew it in the bin,, thats one ting,, to be sure her coach or anyone from her team quickly recouped it and tried to make it seem not as big a deal as it was.
I did notice when it was put around her neck she did not look at it or even touch it.. so who knows.. I feel for her and i think its best she retire and make bebe's,,, if that is what she wants. She was a well accomplished skater and i enjoyed her while it lasted.
c 'est la vie
Fauve:)

76olympics

On the Ice
Hockeyfan said:" Slutskaya did toss the medal, I don't think there should have been any press milling around to see it in the first place, and that she should have been given privacy, just as I think Nancy Kerrigan should have been given privacy backstage waiting for the 1994 medal ceremony. If a member of Slutskaya's camp leaked it to the press, that person should be slapped silly, in my opinion.

I thought it was in horrible taste for Zimmerman to have mentioned it in the first place, and a professional breach to talk about rumors without attribution."

I agree about this and on a similar note, I don't think Scott Hamilton should have betrayed Mrs. Cohen's confidence about Sasha's groin problem on "Olympic Ice" before the long program. He said something about feeling rather bad about telling the public what she told him. Well, Scott, follow that feeling and don't tell them. I don't think she was talking to him as a journalist at that point; I also think she won't be confiding in him again.

jciskate

Spectator
jsteam4501s said:
There is a report by John Zimmerman on Yahoo's Olympic page - and Zimmerman says it is confirmed - that Irina threw a tantrum after the medal ceremony and chucked her bronze medal into a trash bin.

Ordinarily I would say "Don't be too hard on her, she's been through an awful lot of adversity". But she knew - or should have known - that she didn't do a Gold Medal performance. Being disappointed is one thing - throwing a medal in the trash because it's color is not gold is a breach of acceptable conduct, and if this news goes international, she'd be wise not to show up in Calgary.

I've always admired Irina as a person, though I've never cared for her skating. I would say that this incident is FAR less offensive than the '94 atrocity at Worlds when Surya Bonaly took her medal from around her neck and held it in her hand while still on the podium and then tossed it into the crowd while walking off the ice. THAT was a public disgrace.

I remember when Surya took the medal off. That was when Yuka Sato won the gold at Worlds. I also remember the look on Yuka's face. Yuka looked like she really felt bad for Surya. It just took away from the whole moment for Yuka.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I wanted Irina to win, too, but it's really poor sportsmanship to throw the medal in the garbage. I'm sure she was horribly disheartened to fall in the LP and miss out on the gold but Irina is no kid and I would expect her to behave better. It sends the message to young skaters that it's okay to throw your skates when you don't win, throw medals in the garbage, cry on the podium, etc., and, as jci just said, that ruins the moment for the winner. Irina definitely had the right to vent-but in private. And yes, it was tacky of John Zimmerman to post it in his yahoo article.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Interesting. Not quite sure if this means she felt she deserved better from the judges or she was disgusted with herself and her effort. I think rather than throw it in the trash you should have given it to Fumie Seguri. She would have LOVED an Olympic medal of ANY color.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think crying on the podium is OK. It's the tantrums that show poor sportsmanship, IMO.

If Irina crying on the podium was bad, then MK crying in 2002 was also bad. Everyone's held to the same standard.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I haven't heard anyone condemn Irina (or anyone else) for crying on the podium. She is being criticized (by some) for throwing the medal away. IMO, she threw her "tantrum" when she thought she was in private -- skaters should feel free to handle disappointment in any (lawful) manner they see fit when they are alone. John Z had no business printing the story.