Skaters who fall shouldn't be awarded a medal | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters who fall shouldn't be awarded a medal

Engwaciriel said:
Wasn't Yan Liu's both program just beautiful. She'd definitely be on my podium...:agree:
Yes, it was great. But when they showed it on U.S. television, for some reason the commentators, especially Scott Hamilton and Dick Button, really tore into her, saying that her program had no artistic content, just stroking from one jump to the next. Go figure. :mad:

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Yes, it was great. But when they showed it on U.S. television, for some reason the commentators, especially Scott Hamilton and Dick Button, really tore into her, saying that her program had no artistic content, just stroking from one jump to the next. Go figure. :mad:

Well, that's what I like about the Swedish eurosport commentators..they always talk about all the good things, and barely ever critizice skaters. And just like me they thought Yan Liu was very underpaid in both programs...She was one of very few to skate two clean just beautiful programs.

3lutz3toe

Rinkside
I totally agree w/ this!
Giving points to failed jumps just don't make sense. Here's a basketball analogy for ya, imagine if a basketball player misses the hoop but was given 0.5 for getting it so close! Take that.

And also, for the poster w/ the Quarterback analogy. Remmber FS has that presentation or PCS mark and are also judged by GOE. Football only cares about the points, as most other sports. So really, your analogy kind of falls apart if you really think about it.

I don't think a fall or more should automatically preclude a winning decision. There are many factors to determine the winner.

I do think a fall should be considered an incomplete jump and therefore penalized as such - a no jump. A zero, if you will. Putting a GoE on a jump that did not happen just doesn't make sense to me. The -1 in the score is insufficient and unnecessary since I believe the jump was not there to grade.

Grading attempts, imo, is just pussyfooting the Sport. I'm all for eliminating the Flutz as well. There is no such element. It is by definition a flip and should be graded as such. If it brings up the Zayak rule, then too bad.

However, in spite of my harsh penalties for falls, I believe a skater can still win a championship based on the rest of the program.

Joe

Last edited:

3lutz3toe

Rinkside
I think it is very simplistic to suggest that people feel Sasha shouldn't haven't medalled because she fell.
We all know that standings and winnings and losings are all relative.
I think what people are thinking is that SC shouldn't have placed 2nd w/ that many mistakes over a few skaters that were pretty good who skated clean.

This points out flaws in a system that reward points for fallen jumps. Under the old system, fallen jumps weren't counted. Regardless, it is just ludicrous to give points to fallen jumps. Not sure why there is a certain # of people who insist that this is OK.

Not only shouldn't you get points for fallen jumps, you should also get dinged for your PCS! Of course this would depend on how jarring the fall(s) are.

Hello, even Sasha knew she shouldn't have medalled and called it a “GIFT”

anniemg

Rinkside
Hello, even Sasha knew she shouldn't have medalled and called it a “GIFT”

Will people stop mentioning that sentence? She hadn't watched the other people's performances when she said that. She didnt mean that she should have placed 4rth or that the judges overscored her.What she meant was that she didn't think that she'd actually place 2nd with a performance like that. It's not her fault if the others failed to deliver as well.