Olympic Closing Ceremony | Golden Skate

Olympic Closing Ceremony

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I thought the closing ceremony was a little bit over the top and too long. I got a little bored at the end. Anyone else feel this way? One too many clowns for me.

I was also a little embarrassed by Vancouver's little side show to welcome the Olympics for 2010. That stupid inookshook they attempted to build looks like a giant pacman. I sure hope our opening and closing ceremonies are going to be better than that when the day arrives. That looked like a rather low-budget effort next to the Italians extravaganza.

Well, Lad, I disagree with you about your first paragraph--I LOVED the Closing Ceremonies. But I agree that Canada's "Vancouver 2010" was rather low-rent.

Hey, at least Canada didn't have the Parade of Mini-Trucks like we did in the Atlanta '96 Summer games, lol.

Besides, Italy has a cultural history about 3,000 years older than Canada's. I'm giving Canada a break on that. Plus, Vancouver's mayor waving the Olympic flag rules BIG TIME!

One thing I've got to give the Italians: Best music of any Olympics since I can remember, which is 1968.

My favorite moment in the Closing Ceremonies: When all the Little Angels were singing, the camera passing slowly over them caught one picking her nose. :rofl: I say no Olympic Closing Ceremony is complete without boogar-picking on worldwide television.:)

Rgirl

FauveNik

Rinkside
I simply Loved the Carnevale Venezia theme! What fun and well done! I think it appealed more to us Europeans then to Americans who think mardi gras was invented in New Orleans.
Great show!
Fauve

Rgirl said:
Best music of any Olympics since I can remember, which is 1968.
:rock: There's nothing quite like 500 clowns doing "Y...MCA!"

(Although Little Richard leading "Jambalaya, catfish pie, a me-o-my-o" at the Atlanta summer games is a close second.)

MM :)

anya_angie

Final Flight
I loved the Ceremony! Just wish I could have seen Zhenya carrying the Russian flag LOL. But I saw a photo so that's good.

LOVED the music. Loved everything.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Considering that that the '88 Olympics in Calgary had the best opening & closing ceremonies, IMO, of all time (Lillehammer was a close 2nd) I wouldn't worry too much about Vancouver. They will do Canada proud.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I'm just mad that they didn't show the 'moment of fate' when Sasha and the Flying Tomato met. I'm assuming that they met, as they walked into the stadium amidst the USA delegation. I'm sure that the Tomato was anxiously looking for Sasha (if not the other way around!).

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry about starting a thread in the 2006 Olympic Games Folder on this topic. I liked the closing ceremony but missed some because I had things I had to get done. Can anyone tell me the symbolism of all the brides??? I was doing something else while watching and didn't catch the meaning.

Dee

Johar

Medalist
I wanted another interview with hottie bobsledder Todd Hays. That man is so handsome.

How mnay intrviews with Apollo did they need?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
I'm just mad that they didn't show the 'moment of fate' when Sasha and the Flying Tomato met. I'm assuming that they met, as they walked into the stadium amidst the USA delegation. I'm sure that the Tomato was anxiously looking for Sasha (if not the other way around!).

Actually, after all the media circus around this thing, they could deserve to meet in private without any cameras or mics around them. But maybe one of them should have been asked if they met already to clear this up.

emma

Record Breaker
I didn't get the bride thing either....anyone else understand what that was meant to symbolize?

I liked the music.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
emma said:
I didn't get the bride thing either....anyone else understand what that was meant to symbolize?

I liked the music.

It's probably symbolic of "hope"...brides are always hopeful, looking forward to a happy future.

On a more humorous (less philosophical) note, I was afraid that they appeared as an 'end of the games/thanks for all your hard work' prize for the male athletes....as if to say 'It's Part Time! Come and Pick Your Bride!" Of course, the female athletes would have protested...Where were the Italian Bridegroom Hunks for them?????

It also made me think a bit about those Korean 'mass weddings' that we see on TV every now and them...Rev. Moon marrying 1,000 couples in an arena!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Well, Lad, I disagree with you about your first paragraph--I LOVED the Closing Ceremonies. But I agree that Canada's "Vancouver 2010" was rather low-rent.

Hey, at least Canada didn't have the Parade of Mini-Trucks like we did in the Atlanta '96 Summer games, lol.

Besides, Italy has a cultural history about 3,000 years older than Canada's. I'm giving Canada a break on that. Plus, Vancouver's mayor waving the Olympic flag rules BIG TIME!

One thing I've got to give the Italians: Best music of any Olympics since I can remember, which is 1968.

My favorite moment in the Closing Ceremonies: When all the Little Angels were singing, the camera passing slowly over them caught one picking her nose. :rofl: I say no Olympic Closing Ceremony is complete without boogar-picking on worldwide television.:)

Rgirl

Some of the music was great and some not so great. Being Italy of course the Opera influence was fantastic. However, I was confused about the use of a chorus of Angels and devils singing the Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves from "Nabucco "by Verdi. One of my favorites.

I rather enjoyed the opening and closing ceremonies of the Calgary 88 Olympics. I am hoping our Olympic committee will reflect on that maybe borrow some of their theme. After all what could top Ian Tyson singing his song "Four Strong Winds"!! It is practically our other national anthem.

I think the simple presentation of the Vancouver games was sort of lost in the vastness of the Torino event. Maybe should have passed on this one. The flag ceremony would have been sufficient.

Last edited:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
emma said:

I liked the music.

Well, I am kind of guessing on this one, but being Italy and Catholic territory, it could mean "Brides of Christ." I think they were attempting to tie it in with peace - they made a symbol of a dove at the end. All some symbolic effort.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Frau Muller said:
They interviewed both of them separately. My guess is that they met and weren't as impressed with one another as they thought they'd be.

FauveNik

Rinkside
Originally Posted by Frau Muller
I'm just mad that they didn't show the 'moment of fate' when Sasha and the Flying Tomato met. I'm assuming that they met, as they walked into the stadium amidst the USA delegation. I'm sure that the Tomato was anxiously looking for Sasha (if not the other way around!).>>

forgive me but did somone throw a tomato at sasha?? What is this story I have not heard it.
Merci
Fauve

FauveNik said:
Forgive me but did somone throw a tomato at sasha?? What is this story I have not heard it.
The Flying Tomato is the nickname of U.S snowboarder Shawn White. He is called that because of his long unruly red hair.

In his interview after he won the gold medal in half-pipe, he said that he would like to meet Sasha Cohen, hoping that "she digs golds medals" and would be impressed with his achievement.

So that was a joke throughout the games, about Sasha getting together with the Flying Tomato.

MM :)

megsk8z

On the Ice
Just had to chime in on this one.............according to my Charming Spouse, who just returned yesterday from the Olympic Games and who had called me from Italy specifically to tell me to record the closing ceremonies because they were so *fantastic* turned on the videotape and said, "Where's all the good stuff? They left out Everything! This is all you got?!"

ildah

Rinkside
I didn't mind the Vancouver presentation. Short and to the point: Here's the emblem for the 2010 games. Just an introduction, as was the intention.

I liked how they built the symbol out of ice blocks and then showed the reflection of it on the ice (although if people think they are going to see any snow or ice in Vancouver in February, they need a geography lesson) I don't think it was intended to compete with the Turino closing extravaganza. And why try? It's not Vancouver's moment, yet. I am hoping that the Vancouver opening and closings might try for a new trend of shorter and more simple.

The only thing that bugged me about the Turino production was the stupid dance music (YMCA etc) Even the American commentators were chuckling. I can kind of see it at the carnival, but when the athletes were walking in.....?????

Last edited: