Sasha & Weiss join SOI this fall! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha & Weiss join SOI this fall!

Wow, interesting......Mike Weiss does not entertain me much in competition, but I must say I quite enjoyed him as the guest start in Philly's stop of SOI last year!
Shizuka is appearing in some cities with Champions on Ice this years tour.....have no idea what her plans are after that.
I have always hoped Sasha Cohen would join SOI after her eligible career.
I also hope Shen/Zhao will join the full SOI tour before they retire.
SOI NEEDS a dance couple.....Tanith & Ben would be FANTASTIC for SOI, but I imagine they will remain eligible til 2010.....possibly they can somehow get the permission and appear in "some" SOI cities?
It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out!

flying camel

Medalist
I just feel like if Sasha starts skating with SOI she will like it and we won't see her at Nationals or Worlds anymore.

rjulie510

Rinkside
This is pure speculation, but didn't some reports say that Evgeny has a change of heart and now he's not sure he's going to remain eligible? I mean the guy's won just about every possible title out there, and now he's got familiy to take care of. Would it be possible that SOI at least approached him? I really don't see SOI having both Evgeny and Alexei, not because of their past but I don't recall SOI carrying to Russian male solo skaters on tour.

Kasey

Medalist
flying camel said:
I wonder if that means Weiss & Sasha are bypassing the Grand Prix events this fall. Maybe the skaters aren't making enough money in those events. I am going to miss seeing them.

Well, considering the GP events are over mid-December, and SOI tour generally doesn't start until the first/second week of January, it wouldn't be a conflict. What SOI would be in conflict with would be the major events of the season, like Nationals, Euros, 4CC and Worlds.

Lanie

On the Ice
dancindiva03 said:
Darn it. I always liked SOI better than COI but if Sasha is there, then I'm boycotting it.

Jeez. Can you quit with the negativity against Sasha? It's really damn tiresome and outright nasty--making you out to be bitter and quite hateful. Did Sasha run over your puppy or something?

It should be interesting seeing where the SOI thing will take Sasha. I'd go see SOI if she was in it, though I don't know, I'm not a big "ice shows" person. I don't like Mike Weiss that much but I hear he's pretty fun.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
OK, I went ahead and merged these two threads because we don't need more than one about basically the same subject on the board right now. Carry on. :)

mzheng

Record Breaker
FreeKatie said:
I think she has to get special permission like Yagudin or somebody did in the past.
Yagudin was OKey by Rusian federation. Sasha is a different story like others pointed out, she needs USFSA sanctions. While in general USFSA sanctioned the COI not SOI. Anyway good luck to Sasha with SOI.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Lanie said:
Jeez. Can you quit with the negativity against Sasha? It's really damn tiresome and outright nasty--making you out to be bitter and quite hateful. Did Sasha run over your puppy or something?

It should be interesting seeing where the SOI thing will take Sasha. I'd go see SOI if she was in it, though I don't know, I'm not a big "ice shows" person. I don't like Mike Weiss that much but I hear he's pretty fun.

I just don't find her to be entertaining. Trick after old, boring trick. I don't see what she has to add to any show cast.

rob43

On the Ice
Geez- share the Sasha hate with everyone, why doncha-

Eldredge did SOI in '99 and '00 before going back to eligible int'l comps leading up to '02 and Weiss has done some stops the last 2 years. Sarah did SOI last year but I'm doubting COI cared the least since she and Collins had already had a falling out in '02.

I'm sure Sasha will get approved if asked- at worse USFSA might ask for a cut of her income or a fee (same diference.) But the big question would be if she did international comps next year since SOI directly conflicts with most competitions since its a late fall-winter-early spring tour.

I think Sasha and Weiss are both good fits for SOI and have a lot of great qualities that can translate to show skating since their effect is not dependent on jumps like so many these days. I also imagine Sasha is signed with COI for the full tour which means she will do that through summer and pick up SOI in the fall (no time conflict.)

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Somehow I think perhaps Michael just misspoke. I don't know. The timing of it all seemed like Sasha wouldn't have made any decisions about next year by then. But who knows?

If she were to join SOI I'd have mixed feelings. Part of me wants to see her continue on as an eligible skater, the other part of me would love to see her shine as a pro skater and as an SOI faithful who goes every year and has tickets already reserved for next year I'd be thrilled to see her there. I guess it's a win win situation for me! :)

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Eldredge did SOI in '99 and '00 before going back to eligible int'l comps leading up to '02 and Weiss has done some stops the last 2 years. Sarah did SOI last year but I'm doubting COI cared the least since she and Collins had already had a falling out in '02.

Todd Eldredge did not skate with SOI until after the 2002 SLC Olympics. He was with COI during the years you mentioned (and for several before that as well) but I believe he did have to get special permission to skate with them and not lose his eligibility. Michael Weiss is not doing any special stops with SOI this year and IIRC, only did a few shows last year. He hasn't toured with them at any other time that I recall.

And I'll take all this with a grain of salt until I see something concrete from SOI itself that this is actually going to happen. As far as I know, SOI doesn't even have some of its current cast members signed past this season so I doubt they are going to start promoting anything with the new people before they get a few of the veterans signed up again after this current season is over.

dancindiva03 said:
I just don't find her to be entertaining. Trick after old, boring trick. I don't see what she has to add to any show cast.
Here is what you should do. Write to SOI and tell them that if they hire Sasha, you will not go to their show anymore. And you will tell all your friends to stay away, too.

If that doesn't work and they put her in the show anyway, move on to step two. Order a $90 ticket, but send in a check for only $80 with the explanation that you intend to close your eyes while Sasha is skating. Maybe they will give you one of those 6.0 paddles to hold up in front of your face while Sasha is on the ice. :)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Here is what you should do. Write to SOI and tell them that if they hire Sasha, you will not go to their show anymore. And you will tell all your friends to stay away, too.

If that doesn't work and they put her in the show anyway, move on to step two. Order a $90 ticket, but send in a check for only $80 with the explanation that you intend to close your eyes while Sasha is skating. Maybe they will give you one of those 6.0 paddles to hold up in front of your face while Sasha is on the ice. :)

:laugh:

Actually I think Cohen can be a great entertainer with the right programs. It's just that so many of her competitive programs have been zzzzz.

jciskate

Spectator
Mathman said:

LOL:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
#1Kerryfan said:
What's the difference between Stars on Ice and Champions On Ice?

SOI is a smaller group of largely pro skaters (stressing the OGMs) with several group numbers (as well as an opening and finale) and (usually) two solos for each of their "big names". It is a pretty fixed schedule, usually about 60 shows, although that changes in Oly years. Because it tours during the competitive season, the skaters are not competing, even if technically still Oly-eligible.

COI doesn't have group numbers, other than the opening and finale. It has a larger cast, includes skaters that are still competing, and each skater does one exhibition number. It includes some pro skaters, but much fewer than SOI. It also has two numbers -- the "hula hoop girl" (Irina Grigorevna -- sp?) and two Ukranian acrobats -- that are not "real skating", but apparently, are quite popular, anyway. This tour has around 80+ shows in post-Oly years, but is much smaller (sometimes, as few as 25) in other years

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
:laugh: Actually I think Cohen can be a great entertainer with the right programs. It's just that so many of her competitive programs have been zzzzz.
Is that fact or just your opinion??

Dee

IDLERACER

Medalist
attyfan said:
SOI is a smaller group of largely pro skaters (stressing the OGMs) with several group numbers (as well as an opening and finale) and (usually) two solos for each of their "big names". COI doesn't have group numbers, other than the opening and finale.
One other difference is that with COI, none of the skaters ever talk to the audience. Although I haven't seen SOI since Scott Hamilton retired from it, my guess is that there is still some sort of attempt at humorous banter in between numbers instead of just a big voice booming over the loudspeakers announcing whoever's about to skate.