Emily Hughes - too young to already be grating our nerves! | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes - too young to already be grating our nerves!

Frau Muller

Final Flight
This is only Emily Hughes' first senior-level season....

So WHY, oh why, is she already grating on my (our?) nerves, whenever she gives interviews? Can somebody please tone-down her chatty-chatty-manic talk, just by 4-5 levels? Maybe cut-down her intake of caffein? By the time that Emily was giving her final interviews, I learned to press the 'mute' button on my clicker before her mouth opened.

Emily could learn a thing or two by listening to Kimmie, who is also bubbly & young, yet not obnoxious in her energy level.

There is 'bubbly' and there is 'manic.'

Although Kimmie's got that little giggle after every sentence.

Nah, I love 'em both. I wish I were 16 again and obnoxiously enthusiastic and manically bubbly about life.

MM :)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
This is only Emily Hughes' first senior-level season....

So WHY, oh why, is she already grating on my (our?) nerves, whenever she gives interviews? Can somebody please tone-down her chatty-chatty-manic talk, just by 4-5 levels? Maybe cut-down her intake of caffein? By the time that Emily was giving her final interviews, I learned to press the 'mute' button on my clicker before her mouth opened.

Emily could learn a thing or two by listening to Kimmie, who is also bubbly & young, yet not obnoxious in her energy level.

There is 'bubbly' and there is 'manic.'

On the Eurosport coverage of the Olympics every time Emily was interviewed she came across as really professional like she had rehearsed well for the questions, trotted out her answers with no um's and ah's and didn't seem hyper or girly at all.

Ant

R.D.

Record Breaker
I always can't stand these "ditzy" type personalities, but I really "like" the way Kimmie interviews. I put like in quotes because she comes across as a likeable person. Emily is OK, too, but Kimmie just has that air that makes me smile every time she talks. (don't take this the wrong way ppl)

Now, this is off topic but I don't like the way, say someone like Cohen interviews. She just kind of has this annoying voice, plus other things I'm not going to get into. Everyone else I say is kind of on middle ground.

Red Dog said:
... Kimmie just has that air that makes me smile every time she talks. (don't take this the wrong way ppl).
You know I'm going to take that the wrong way, LOL.

MM :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
You know I'm going to take that the wrong way, LOL.

:laugh: yeah, I guess I kinda set myself up for that one. Well, ya know what I mean ;) I get the impression Kimmie is a likeable person, no more.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I felt as if Emily was 'milking' her 15 minutes of fame to the max...ten days after arriving in Torino she was still doing the 'GEE-WHIZ! I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M RIGHT HERE!!! WOWEEEE!!!!" thing, with eyes bulging out of her sockets and non-stop chattering.

I felt like yelling at her "Get a grip! Your plane landed one week ago!" :chorus: :chorus: :chorus:

Aw, don't be a party pooper, Frau M. :)

Plus, in the ZOWIE GEE WHIZ department, just wait till Katy Taylor wins a major event! :laugh:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Mathman said:
...... just wait till Katy Taylor wins a major event! :laugh:

Oh, no....when she buys her Hummer?! Terry Gannon will surely be stationed outside the showroom, ready to interview her.

flying camel

Medalist
I actually like her. She actually tried to improve her routine since Nationals. The media seems to like her because she seems very approachable and friendly.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Aw, don't be a party pooper, Frau M. :)

Plus, in the ZOWIE GEE WHIZ department, just wait till Katy Taylor wins a major event! :laugh:

Oh man... I almost forgot about the gaggle of giggly girls moving up the ranks... I might not ever listen to another skating interview again... Hey Frau, you should teach a class in proper use of the "MUTE" button... my nerves cannot take 4 years of this group... :cool:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
:laugh: yeah, I guess I kinda set myself up for that one. Well, ya know what I mean ;) I get the impression Kimmie is a likeable person, no more.

You & MM are dirty old men...

rob43

On the Ice
I think any Huge2 annoyance has to be amplified by the fact that she shares so many mannerisms wih her sister. So the side jaw movement, bloated tongue and pie face are all too familiar to be viewed as new. And she's a little lispy.

But I actually am pretty OK with her because she seems honest enough about things.

Also- I looves me some Kwan but her interviews are always too introspective & now Cohen is basically giving entire Kwan interviews- AARRGGGHHH. I miss the little spitfire she once was.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Good greif!!!!! She is 16 years old... Did you expect her to give interviews like she's a senior citizen? lol Actually, I enjoyed all of her interviews.. She is a lot better with a microphone than Sara..

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wonder if this discussion would even exist if she weren't Sarah's sister.

Naw, I'm just trying to play cupid on Red Dog's behalf, Kwanford. (He's not that much older than Kimmie, BTW.)

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
ditzy

Now that Elaine Zayak has grown up and gotten beyond ditzy, the young girls coming up behind her just look like baby ditz in comparision. Elaine Zayak was a World Class Ditz.

Linny