Near Collisions in the Warmup | Golden Skate

Near Collisions in the Warmup

Johar

Medalist
It looked like Sasha and Shizuka came a bit too close for comfort in the warmup before their LP skate. at either rate it didn't seem to rattle Shiz.;) I did gasp when I saw it on TV, though.

Has anyone ever witnessed an actual bad collision on the ice before?

Back in the 60s or 70s, wasn't there a European gal who used to come at other skaters on purpose to intimidate them?

IDLERACER

Medalist
At the '94 olympics, Oksanna Baiul collided with someone or another (I think it was Yuka Sato) and wound up with a scraped calf that had to be bandaged. I can also recall Kwan and Slutskaya colliding into one another at the '98 world championships, but it wasn't serious. Michelle just had the wind knocked out of her, Irina helped her up off the ice, and the practice session resumed.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
The co gold medalists in pairs from slc slammed into each other pretty hard. Jaime Sale didnt get right up but ended up being fine.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Jamie Sale and Anton Sikharudlize had a painful collision in the warmup for their long program at SLC. Not intentional, just an accident. I've had near-misses and bumps during lessons--when there are several skaters on the ice, sometimes paths just cross.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I saw this thread went back to my tape, yeah I finally got to see it.....There has been talking since 2002, but I never seen it. This is the first time I've seen.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I saw a very interesting NEAR collision up close and personal once.

2001 Worlds, Vancouver, I was attending evening Free Dance practice. (front row center for that, the only way to go :biggrin: compensated for the seats in the rafters I had during the actual competition). I THINK the two couples involved were Grushina/Goncharov and Chait/Sakhnovsky. (Even looking at the photos I took isn't triggering the EXACT memory of who it was, so let's go with them.) Grushina & Goncharov were standing alongside the long side of the rink in front of the judges area; Goncharov was up against the wall, Grushina was farther out. They weren't doing anything, just standing talking. Suddenly Chait/Sakhnovsky came FLYING around the rink at full speed and they were about 10 feet from colliding with Grushina and knocking her over when suddenly Sakhnovsky yelled something VERY LOUD AND ANGRY SOUNDING in Russian. Grushina BOOKED IT to the side of that barrier with Goncharov, and even then they only missed knocking her over by about a foot.

I truly wish I could remember FOR SURE who was involved in this. I definitely remember THAT HOLLER and the lady scrambling for the barrier. If at least one of them had been wearing a REALLY REALLY HIDEOUS costume, it would have helped. (Although the two very nice Canadian ladies I was hanging out with that evening thought that Chait's costume was REALLY REALLY HIDEOUS, but that's another story entirely...... :laugh: )

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
IDLERACER said:
At the '94 olympics, Oksanna Baiul collided with someone or another (I think it was Yuka Sato) and wound up with a scraped calf that had to be bandaged.

I believe Oksana's collision was with Germany's Tanja Szewczenko (sp?).

Kati

On the Ice
purplecat said:
I believe Oksana's collision was with Germany's Tanja Szewczenko (sp?).

Yes, it was Tanja S. She skated counterclockwise (being lefthanded) and it is always a danger of collision with other 5 skaters on the ice, contemporary

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Todd had a collision with the German skater Silvio Smalun (sp?) at Skate America 2000 (?). Todd hurt his back, and almost withdrew from the competition. He came back strongly & finished with a bronze medal.

I'm not sure if this was during the final warm-up or during a practice session.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Johar said:
It looked like Sasha and Shizuka came a bit too close for comfort in the warmup before their LP skate. at either rate it didn't seem to rattle Shiz.;) I did gasp when I saw it on TV, though.

Has anyone ever witnessed an actual bad collision on the ice before?

Back in the 60s or 70s, wasn't there a European gal who used to come at other skaters on purpose to intimidate them?

I think the collision between, (i think) Anton S and Jamie Sale before the Olympic free skate was pretty bad, Jamie really looked like she'd gotten the wind knocked out of her. It was a genuine accident though - i think Anton got a bit hurt too but it wasn't as outwardly visible as Jamie's falling to the ice winded. Obviously that was somewhat overshadowed by the controversy after the LP otherwise i think it would have been played over and over again.

I'm sure i've seen footage of Midori Ito having quite a bad crash with somone as well on the warm up ice. She's in the white costume with the blue trim and is skating right near one of the long boards setting up a lutz and she and a lady in (i think) yellow crash into one another.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
julietvalcouer said:
Jamie Sale and Anton Sikharudlize had a painful collision in the warmup for their long program at SLC. Not intentional, just an accident. I've had near-misses and bumps during lessons--when there are several skaters on the ice, sometimes paths just cross.

I've had similar experiences during lessons and its all usually ok, though i'm sure every rink has the ice princess who thinks that she owns the rink and therefore must always be given right of way regardless of what is actually happening on the ice or who's music is playing. Let's hope one day she learns!

Ant

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
As I understand it, there was a collision between the male Zhang and TT during the pairs warm up at Worlds in Moscow. Her coach said that he thought it was deliberate, but Alexei Tikhnov said that he saw the whole thing, and it was clearly accidental.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
in 05 at nationals... Tim Goebel clipped Mike Weiss (both were setting up jumps and where skating backwards in each other's blind spots from what we could figure) Tim stayed on his feet attempted his jump and fell... but Mike stayed on the ice for a good long while and was getting people a bit nervous (Tim looked really distraught over it) but Mike got up and skated his long program but he definitely had the wind knocked out of him

in 06 there were quite a few collisions in pairs and ice dance... the most severe took Slatterly & Lee out of the competition because he broke his nose (and had a concussion)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
This is not quite warm up, but morning practice before event (pretty similar). At the warmup fo 2000 World FD, Tchernyshev collided into Denkova, accidently slicing her tendon with his blade. She had to have surgery, and it took her a while to recover.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Sasha nearly collided (or did collide?) with Michele Kwan during the warm-up for the 2002 Nationals. It gained Sasha a bit of notoriety back then...and I couldn't help but think of that episode when I saw Sasha nearly crash into Shiz in Torino.

Spirit

On the Ice
Nancy Kerrigan once flattened a hockey player. But that was a Campbell's Soup commercial and probably doesn't count.

While waiting for his program to begin, Michael Weiss once accidentally knocked over a flower girl. He was mortified, but she was okay.

Jill

On the Ice
Didn't Chait collide with Renee Roca at one of the nationals? I'll never remember the year, but it was way back when she still competed for US. Renee had to withdraw. Does anyone remember that one?

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
JillLaQ said:
Didn't Chait collide with Renee Roca at one of the nationals? I'll never remember the year, but it was way back when she still competed for US. Renee had to withdraw. Does anyone remember that one?
That was 1994. Renee broke her wrist in the collision during an OD practice session. Renee got the cast and made it back to do the OD with Gorsha. The pain was too much to continue and they withdrew afterwards. I forgot that it was Galit she collided with. Galit was still competing at US Nationals before she switched to Israel - but I'm sure she had a different partner at the time.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)