On Your Toes/Slaughter on Tenth Avenue film? | Golden Skate

On Your Toes/Slaughter on Tenth Avenue film?

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I'm posting here rather than in the Tapes forum because I'm not sure if that's strictly for skating, plus I'm not sure that a tape actually exists. But I know there are other balletomanes around here and I'm hoping one can help.

I'm trying to find a recording of the number "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" from the Broadway show "On Your Toes" that preserves the original Balanchine choerography. There is a movie version, but Gene Kelly did his own take on the number, and I really want the Balanchine version. Does anyone know of/have access to a filmed version of the original choreography? I know it's an old show and as such footage of the first cast is unlikely to exist, but I know Suzanne Farrell danced it at some point much later.

Any help is appreciated!

I've seen the Ballanchine version at the NYCB and also in clips from TV's salutes to Rogers and Hart.

As much as I like Ballanchine, I don't like everything he did. This was just so so for me. Much prefer the Kelly version, and btw, Vera Ellen was an incredible dancer.

Joe

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
How did I know you'd be one to reply? ;) I have only seen the Kelly version and want to see the Ballanchine for comparison. I'll have to look for the Rogers and Hart TV thing....somewhere a copy must exist. I tend to, if not LIKE what Ballanchine made, almost always appreciate where he was coming from. I'm curious about this one especially because I find I have a love-hate relationship with Gene Kelly--sometimes I adore his dancing, other times he's just too down-and-grounded for me. (The whole thing about Astaire being the aristocrat's dancer, Kelly the working man's. I do find myself liking Astaire's lines better even when I prefer Kelly's personality/interpretation.)

And yeah, sometimes I talk about dead people in the present tense. I'm weird that way.

julietvalcouer said:
And yeah, sometimes I talk about dead people in the present tense. I'm weird that way.
:laugh: :laugh: Sometimes when I walk into a singles bar, I see dead people.:laugh: :laugh:

Check out tapes at Amazon or whatever, and look over the NYCB tapes and see if Slaughter is on one of them.

Joe