All Russian medallists to skip Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

All Russian medallists to skip Worlds

R.D.

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Only if it were a strong field. The Olympic field even was already missing Asada and Kwan, and a field also missing Arakawa and Slutskaya would impress few even with a big win IMO.

Well, yes, that's true.

But imagine if she skates her BEST- better than she did at the Olympics. I think she would be proud no matter how it turned out, to close so strongly. Then, IMO, she will probably decide four more years isn't worth it and then retire. I think she just wants a world title; once (or if) she gets it, I think she's history.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
To be honest, I will not miss the two couple teams in Calgary. I'm not saying they aren't technically good but as far as presentation, they are just boring. JMO.

Joe

I agree with Joe. T/M are the epitome of 'technically proficient, artistically bereft." I hope P/T (or Z/Z, if they're healthy) make a good showing. As for N/K, maybe they're just gaming the system, but I can actually stop watching their dances, just tune out in the middle, they're that uninvolving.

Honestly I won't actually miss Plushenko or Slutskaya, either, speaking of gaming the scoring system. Him in particular. If Arakawa and Cohen both go, though, at least ladies might be somewhat interesting.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
thanks for the news...not surprising, though.

I still wonder if Arakawa is going to Worlds. If she isn't, this could be a VERY interesting competition. Cohen and Suguri would be the only top contenders to show up!

I am not convinced Sasha will be going to Worlds. She has been making too many appearances on TV. Just today (while I was enjoying my visit to a dentist) I saw her on Regis and Kelly and then on Ellen. And she will be hitting the town for Oscars. When would she train?

R.D.

Record Breaker
She claims she will be there, so if she's changed her mind, she'd better announce it now.

Katy Taylor already withdrew from Junior Worlds, with some lame excuse about new boots. Maybe Katy has already been told something that the rest of us don't know yet.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, If Cohen REALLY isn't planning on going, why is she telling everyone that she IS going? Make up your mind once and for all!

So...unless she's into deceiving everyone (not too surprising given who she is), I think she's gonna be there. :)

I don't think she's trying to deceive anyone, just -- you know -- keeping all her options open.

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, she should SAY that, then. She tends to beat around the bush a lot, and I like people that come out and say what they think and what they want instead of trying to be a little princess, all smiles and stuff. Yuck!

I like personalities like Johnny Weir for a reason.

Last edited:
Red Dog said:
Well, she should SAY that, then.
Naw, don't let the left hand know what the right hand is doing, that's the ticket. Smile up in their face and never, ever, let 'em see you sweat.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I don't know if this is good or bad.

I'll be honest, I won't miss some of them. But all of them were very consistant skaters. Their participant push others to do more and have to try to skate cleanly. It's not necessary that Plushen, Irina, TT/MM have to be superb in artistry and/or presentation to push sports in this direction. Their consistancy on technique side (jump wise) force other skaters either rival them with the same consistancy on jumps or develop more sophisticated (choreographically) programs and interpretation skills. Either way they actually push both sides of sports. Even they themselves were not know as "artistry".

See what happened in ladies? Non one bothered with 3/3s, even though both Arakawa and Irina were known for their jumps and 3/3s. But without Kwan, they don't think they need bring their A game to Olympics.

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Mathman said:
To me, there is something wrong with a sport in which the top performers care so little about its World Championship that they don't bother to show up.

I agree, but to each his own, I guess.

It does seem strange to me that, for as long as this post Oly avoidance of Worlds has been going on (since '94), to my knowledge $peedy hasn't gone into a snit and issued letters or proclamations threatening the skaters or federations like he has with the GP series.

Alsace

On the Ice
The article mentioned that Navka has retired, but doesn't mentioned Roman's plans. Maybe he will be doing a worldwide partner search?!?

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
She claims she will be there, so if she's changed her mind, she'd better announce it now.

In her new journal on her site she says she's going back to training on Monday.

I don't get all the cynics. If she goes fine, if not-nothing new. Lots of medallists have done just the same. Boitano once said they shouldn't hold Worlds so soon after the Games.

graceness

Rinkside
Frau Muller said:
Any gold that is won in Calgary will be like the medals that were won at the 84 Los Angeles Olympics.

Not to forget that the top lady of the world -- Mao Asada -- won't be there, as she was not in Torino. So this Worlds will forever be known as the scramble for gold among the '2nd tier' competitors.

Just telling it like it is. Sad moment for World skating.

Um, Ms. Cohen would no doubt be insulted to be referred to as a "2nd tier" competitor for gold!

Graceness

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
If Plushenko will not participate in Worlds, it seems to me that Russian men will get only one place for 2007 Worlds. If Irina is not competing, the same happens for the ladies also. For pairs and ice dance there will be two slots, I believe.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
In the case of the LADIES competition, the only noticeable absence is Irina, so what's the big deal? Chances are she would not win a medal at Worlds anyway, given her anger after Torino.

If Shizuka is not there - Gold - Sasha, Silver - Kimmie, Bronze - Fumie.
If Fumie is not there, Bronze - Joannie or Emily .
Or jumble the medals among the above any way you wish - It's gonna be fun!!!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
jsteam4501s said:
In the case of the LADIES competition, the only noticeable absence is Irina, so what's the big deal? Chances are she would not win a medal at Worlds anyway, given her anger after Torino.

After her SLC Olympics disappointment Irina won a gold medal in 2002 Worlds. Besides the big deal is, that if Irina is not skating, the worst case could be that no Russian lady among top 10...

Jaana said:
If Plushenko will not participate in Worlds, it seems to me that Russian men will get only one place for 2007 Worlds. If Irina is not competing, the same happens for the ladies also. For pairs and ice dance there will be two slots, I believe.
Good to bring that up Jaana. All the Federations will be rallying around whatever skaters they have to get into the top 12 or those magic numbers that add up to qualify 3 skaters, 2 skaters, for the more important 2007 Worlds.

Joe

mzheng said:
See what happened in ladies? Non one bothered with 3/3s, even though both Arakawa and Irina were known for their jumps and 3/3s. But without Kwan, they don't think they need bring their A game to Olympics.
That continues to seem very strange to me. People are posting that Arakawa's coach told her to leave out the triple-triple after Sasha fell -- in fact, this is being praised as a "brilliant strategy."

But Irina was still to skate. Did team Arakawa somehow know in advance that Irina would leave her arsenal at home, too?

MM