All Russian medallists to skip Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

All Russian medallists to skip Worlds

Mafke

Medalist
Mathman said:
That continues to seem very strange to me. People are posting that Arakawa's coach told her to leave out the triple-triple after Sasha fell -- in fact, this is being praised as a "brilliant strategy."
But Irina was still to skate. Did team Arakawa somehow know in advance that Irina would leave her arsenal at home, too?
MM

I think Arakawa left out the 3/3's because she's been downgraded enough on them that she thought "Why do such a high risk move when there's a good chance of being punished for it even if I do land it?"
And, maybe she'd seen that Slutskaya looked out of sorts recently (or had reports to that end) and thought all she had to do was lay down a solid effort and that Slute was not likely to top it.
Or ... maybe she was too nervous to try them and hoped for the best.

cianni

On the Ice
I think

Sasha will be there .There will be no competition if the best dont show up and she can win again by default. She would be a fool not to go as its hers as was Nationals. She doesnt need a lot of practice for this. I agree if she walks away with the Gold shes history. I fear so is skating.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
That continues to seem very strange to me. People are posting that Arakawa's coach told her to leave out the triple-triple after Sasha fell -- in fact, this is being praised as a "brilliant strategy."

But Irina was still to skate. Did team Arakawa somehow know in advance that Irina would leave her arsenal at home, too?

MM
I agree with part of what Mafke said. But also, I think the goal of team Shizuka (or JF) is to get a medal at least. With Sasha's falls, they thought as long as Shizuka skated clean she could beat Sasha and medal. Since they knew there will be an American on podium given the politics and the way SP turn out (that Carol was way down there). So no matter how Irina skated, SA would at least get a Silver which is tie with what Ito got. The highest honer of a Japanese girl, seems not too bad to team SA....and of course late the silver turned gold. All cheers to Arakawa!

mzheng

Record Breaker
If Russian only send Elena Sokolova, then if she medals at worlds, will Russia get 2 spots next year?

Or even they send both ES and VV, if both of them placed top 9, Russian still get 2 spots (top two adds up to 18), right?

In men, Ilia Klimkin and another you kid who coached by TT, if the placement of both could be adds up lower than 18 (which is not that far fetched), then they can get 2 spots next year....nothing too shaby either.

But with Plushen out, Irina and Shizuka out. I can well picture the Gold Medal winner performance in men and lady will include one or more splat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
If Russian only send Elena Sokolova, then if she medals at worlds, will Russia get 2 spots next year?

Or even they send both ES and VV, if both of them placed top 9, Russian still get 2 spots (top two adds up to 18), right?
According to the Worlds entries list, Russia is sending Elena Sokolova plus 2 youngsters -- Katarina Gerboldt and Arina Martinova (both are competing at Junior Worlds 2 weeks before Worlds).

The top 2 placements determine next year's Worlds spots -- they have to add up to 13 or less for 3 ladies' spots in 2007 -- see:
http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml#Q10

mzheng

Record Breaker
Sylvia said:
According to the Worlds entries list, Russia is sending Elena Sokolova plus 2 youngsters -- Katarina Gerboldt and Arina Martinova (both are competing at Junior Worlds 2 weeks before Worlds).

The top 2 placements determine next year's Worlds spots -- they have to add up to 13 or less for 3 ladies' spots in 2007 -- see:
http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml#Q10
thanks. what number for two spots? 18 right?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
Well, If Cohen REALLY isn't planning on going, why is she telling everyone that she IS going? Make up your mind once and for all!

So...unless she's into deceiving everyone (not too surprising given who she is), I think she's gonna be there. :)
RD, are you sure you like it when people tell it like it is???

Dee

soogar

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
See what happened in ladies? Non one bothered with 3/3s, even though both Arakawa and Irina were known for their jumps and 3/3s. But without Kwan, they don't think they need bring their A game to Olympics.

Please, it's not as if MIchelle has brought her A game to competition the past few years. The reason why they didn't bring out their 3-3s was because Mao wasn't there and Kimmie didn't bring them when she needed to.

R.D.

Record Breaker
graceness said:
Um, Ms. Cohen would no doubt be insulted to be referred to as a "2nd tier" competitor for gold!

Graceness

:rofl: but it IS a second-rate competition- or will be without Irina, Shizuka, or Mao!

However, I think in a way it gives the competition new life, and this might be interesting to see. If SC wasn't going it would be a serious toss-up for gold. But I now think she's the favorite to win this competition.

Bottom line- Arakawa skated clean and won. She was able to put it out there, the favorites choked- end of story.

RD, are you sure you like it when people tell it like it is???

I do. But I also like it when people keep their word.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Mathman said:

MM

My guess is that the team Arakawa strategy was to put pressure on Irina by forcing her also to skate a faultless freeskate and preferably with triple-triples, if Irina wanted to be sure of her win. It was a brilliant strategy for team Arakawa, because after the short programme those three ladies were so very close.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Please, it's not as if MIchelle has brought her A game to competition the past few years. The reason why they didn't bring out their 3-3s was because Mao wasn't there and Kimmie didn't bring them when she needed to.
Please I'm talking about Olympics. Kimmie did 3/3 in SP. Do you really think had Kimmie brought 2 3/3s in her LP, she would beat Sasha, Arakawa or Irina? The PCS score.

Yeah, you are right Michelle diddn't brought her A game to last couple of years. But this is Olympics, if she was health, she'd brought her A game. And just beause she competed so sparcely last couple of seasons, her competetors had no way knew if she would bring her A game to the Worlds....Even in Mosco worlds, after watching the practice sessions, Tarosova made comments like Kwan was strong, while Irina skated well through out the season because of her strong will, but she needs a lot of refiness.

Linny

Final Flight
A game

2003 Worlds, Michelle was brilliant. She brought her A+ game.
Linny

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I would like to remind you all that after the '98 Olympics NONE of the male medalists competed at Worlds but how often do Yagudin's fans mention that that is why he won the '98 World Championship? Answer? Never. So my point is that several years from now whoever wins these Worlds (whatever the discipline may be) will not be pointed out as having a less than great win because so & so was too tired to show up or was injured or whatever their reasoning for not attending might have been. A win is a win.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
merrywidow said:
I would like to remind you all that after the '98 Olympics NONE of the male medalists competed at Worlds but how often do Yagudin's fans mention that that is why he won the '98 World Championship? Answer? Never. So my point is that several years from now whoever wins these Worlds (whatever the discipline may be) will not be pointed out as having a less than great win because so & so was too tired to show up or was injured or whatever their reasoning for not attending might have been. A win is a win.

I would guess that nobody metions the circumstances under which Yagudin won his 1998 gold is because he repeated that feat 3 more times, and the year he did not win gold, he got a silver. That's 5 world medals. On the other hand, a lot of medalists following the Olympics are "one-hit-wonder" if you will. Most of those who capitalized on the 1st tier competitors staying away do tend to drop off the podium the following year. That's when the strong get stronger and those who skipped the worlds the year before come back.

I agree is that win is a win. But for the most part, people tend to remember less those world medalists following the Olympics.

R.D.

Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
I would guess that nobody metions the circumstances under which Yagudin won his 1998 gold is because he repeated that feat 3 more times, and the year he did not win gold, he got a silver. That's 5 world medals. On the other hand, a lot of medalists following the Olympics are "one-hit-wonder" if you will. Most of those who capitalized on the 1st tier competitors staying away do tend to drop off the podium the following year. That's when the strong get stronger and those who skipped the worlds the year before come back.

I agree is that win is a win. But for the most part, people tend to remember less those world medalists following the Olympics.

I'm inclined to agree here. The Worlds are just so anticlimactic (sp?) following the Olympics.

Red Dog said:
....The Worlds are just so anticlimactic (sp?) following the Olympics.
Sometimes. But 1994 worlds with Yuka Sato :love: against Surya Bonaly :love: (no Nancy or Oksana) was one of the all-time nail-biters, for me. :rock:

MM :)

(P.S. Spellchecker agrees with "anticlimactic" ;) )