Can CoP Change Things? | Golden Skate

Can CoP Change Things?

Rob43 brought up a good point about the CoP:

I say watch out- COP could really change things- less jumps and more injuries- who would have thought it.

I see the Men attempting Quads and falling for the extra points they can tack on to their scores. Injuries? yup.

I see the Ladies avoiding 3x3s for fear of falling or getting underrotated scores. Injuries? no

I see Pairs going for bigger and larger than life lifts for the scores. Injuries? yup.

I don't think the CoP in dance is any different than in 6.0. (JMO) No injuries except the usual.

Anybody got a take on the CoP - not individual skaters.

Joe

In dance, maybe not actual injuries, but look at all the falls in the original dance at the Olympics. Many people blamed the CoP for requiring more intricate holds and lifts.

In ladies, although the CoP does seem to be watering down the jump content, the rest of it (exaggerated positions in spins, greater variety of steps in footwork, etc.) might lead to different types of stress and strain on the body. This seems to be what knocked Michelle out of the game, for instance.

MM

P.S. On the other hand, there is a long, long list of skaters who competed under the old scoring system, whose careers were also cut short by chronic injuries.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
In ladies, although the CoP does seem to be watering down the jump content, the rest of it (exaggerated positions in spins, greater variety of steps in footwork, etc.) might lead to different types of stress and strain on the body. This seems to be what knocked Michelle out of the game, for instance.

MM[/QUOTE]

I am kind of on the fence about COP but if it did in fact knock
Michelle out of the game, I hate it.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Hmm...is it really the COP system causing the injury list to go up? Skaters have always had to deal with injury even under the old 6.0 system. I think skaters stay in competition longer and there are more competitions than before, so therefore the more skaters train and compete the more chances for injury.

The amount of falls on the ice dance at the Olympics was very unusual. These dancers are putting themselves in line for injury due to the complicated choreography they are putting in their programs. I think the ice dancers need to tone down on the amount of lifts they are incorporating in their programs. As it is their programs are beginning to look more like pair programs than ice dance. Let's get back to basics in ice dance, please!!!

This is an interesting topic and something to ponder, but figure skating is about taking risks so things are really not going to change much.

I think that's why Rob43 mentioned the CoP - less jumps, more injuries.

One has to remember the skaters do not start out with 6.0 and get marked down from perfection. They start at 0 and must get points to get up to over 275 (a bit of exaggeration here, but you know what I mean.)

Dance is a discipline unto itself. They don't jump but because of the CoP, they are doing weird things in dance which could cause accidents which we saw in the recent Olys.

Men and Pairs is quite obvious what has happened.They are traditionally Risk Takers.

Surprise! Ladies held back, and that's where Rob43 is right on.

Joe

gio

Medalist
I was shocked to see so many falls in ice dance!! On the other hand, falls and injuries in men, pairs and ladies were present also before CoP.

And about 3/3s, I've expected to see some ladies performing them. Before CoP Irina, Shizuka, Sokolova and Ando did them on a regular basis in competition. It is from 1992 that none of the three medalists won without a triple/triple. Skating is NOT a jumping competition, but the tech level is maybe going down (and we cannot blame, as Speedy did, the skaters or the federations for this!!!).
But the thing that really disturbs me is to see a skater doing 2 triple flutzes and getting a 0 GOE, instead of a slight -3 GOE !!!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I do not think that difficulty is the only reason that we are not seeing more 3/3's fear of injury could be a factor also.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Not changing ice dance? The free dance didn't used to consist of "twizzle, twizzle, now grab your blade and pull it against the back of your head." I'm not sure it's really upping the chance of INJURY that much (as dance will and should always include lifts) but it's making the programs very boring. (*twitch* ENOUGH WITH THE TWIZZLES ALREADY!)

No comment on the other disciplines beyond--the men and pairs would be going for higher, faster, farther anyway, and I don't pay enough attention to the ladies to know or care if more or less 3/3s is a good thing.

gio said:
But the thing that really disturbs me is to see a skater doing 2 triple flutzes and getting a 0 GOE, instead of a slight -3 GOE !!!!
And it's a jump (the Flutz) that doesn't have a definition, and is not listed as legal.

I've read somewhere or heard the commentators say that the matter of the Flutz will be discussed at the May meeting.

Will it be downgraded to a Flip? Think Zayak.

Will it be considered a no jump?

Joe

gio

Medalist
I've read somewhere or heard the commentators say that the matter of the Flutz will be discussed at the May meeting.

Hope that they will take some actions. The best thing they can do is to consider a flutz what really is, a flip disguised as a lutz. So skaters with the flutzing problem won't include anymore two flips and two lutzes, because they will be counted as four flips, with all the consequences of the Zayak rule.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The same skaters performed mostly the same OD's all year, with few falls. The pressure of the Olympics, where the CD ended with "unexpected" results and the top teams were separated by very small margin, and two returning teams as potential spoilers, was the main difference, IMO.