World Entry List | Page 2 | Golden Skate

World Entry List

CDMM1991

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Will be forced to listen to the same old tunes of the skaters?

I'm looking forward to seeing Joannie skate in Canada.

If Shizuka goes to Worlds and wins, I think she will be happy as a two time Worlds Gold Medalist as well as the Gold Medal Olympic Champion. It is more than enough to retire with serenity.

If Sasha goes and wins, it may determine whether or not she continues another 4 years. The 2006 GPs will let us all see if Mao is going through puberty and losing much of her skills.

1. Will Kimmie skate her personal best, finally?

2. Will Sara Meier pick up the glory of European Ladies after Irina? or will Susanna Poykio? Maybe Gedenashvili?

3. Will Johnny stop opining and skate the way we expect?

4. Will Lambiel land the 3A and walk away with the competition?

5. Will Buttle land his jumps?

6. Can Savoie steal this?

7. Pet/Tik v. Chinese Pairs. Interesting.

8. B&A's first World Gold Medal?

Lots to think about for the start of the Kwanless Era.

Joe

Not sure if these were rhetorical questions, or one's you wished to be answered, but I plan on answering them :laugh:

1. My guess is Kimmie will have two clean programs, but problems with under-rotation will hold her down in the standings. It will be interesting what kind of PCS scores she can come up with, coming off a top-six finish at the Olympics. My guess is they will be notably higher.

2. I think Gedenavanishvili (I don't think I have a hope of EVER spelling that right) has all the potential in the world. What encourages me is those triple-triples are CLEAN. Lots of other skaters are attempting scratchy, cheated, so-so 3/3 but her's are the real thing, like Kostner's. Sarah Meier also looks impressive. I think her PCS scores will start rising now as well, after getting herself on the map at both Euros and Olys. As for Poykio, she seems to be past her prime. She's been around for awhile, and she had a great season last year, highlighted by her ESM, so my guess is the retirement might be coming. I'm also a big Kostner fan. I just think that you can never count her out. She's in the perfect position right now: a not-so-stellar season, coming in as the underdog.

3. I expect Johnny will still either leave a jumping pass, or combination out, and leave himself either off the top two spots on the podium, or off the podium altogether. Johnny will be Johnny. I'd really like to see him try the quad in competition. They've showed numerous clips of him doing flawless ones on the practice ice, and I think this would be the perfect event for him to transfer those to the comppetition ice.

4. Lambiel might land the triple axel in either the short or the long, but not both. He may just end up doubling them both again; not necessarily a stupid move on his part, psychologically. I do think, however, he'll win the competition.

5. Not all of them, but enough to take the silver.

6. You bet he can. The international judges are starting to warm up to him, I think. If he skates two clean performances, you'll see him on the podium, because, I have a hunch that at this competition clean performances are going to be hard to come by, judging by the Olympics. The American man I have my eye on though is Lysacek; I believe he's in the perfect position right now. He doesn't have the pressure of an Olympics medalist, but he does have that clean long in the minds of the judges. He'll be ridingthe momentum, and I believe he learned a lesson about himself psychologically in Torino, and he's going to be a forced to be reckoned with in the next few years. I believe he'll go for the wuad in the long, but probably won't land it, or at least not clean.

7. I think the Chinese will sweep. Petrova/Tikhanov don't seem to have he jduges on their side like they used to. They've been put behind all of the Chinese pairs, and the German pair on different occasions, rightfully so. Personally though, I would love to see their careers end on a high note, with a world medal, maybe even the gold.

8. It seems like they're being set up to get the gold. As long as they stay off their bottoms, they should walk away with the gold, deservedly so. My number one wish for the 2006 ISU World Figure Skating Championships:

Some major costume changes in ice dance!

tarotx

On the Ice
I think Shizuka and Sasha will be okay with a week away from training. They are fit athletes. Sasha was off the ice for a large chuck of Nationals week. Sarah Hughes has to be totally in training mode for her skating to be medal quality. Tara and her mother was still pouting because Michelle was getting the love in 1998.

I love the names of the venues (usually home to the Calgary Stampede rodeo): The Saddledome and the Stampede Corral. :rock:

Hey, now that I think of it, why aren't bull riding and bronc bustin' in the Olympics?

MM

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I love the names of the venues (usually home to the Calgary Stampede rodeo): The Saddledome and the Stampede Corral. :rock:

Hey, now that I think of it, why aren't bull riding and bronc bustin' in the Olympics?

MM

Because PETA would get mad (apparently there were going to be some Rodeo things in SLC 02, but PETA flipped out and it was a no go)

Really? I always thought the animals liked to perform. If I were a Brahma bull I'd love to knock those cowboys on the seat of their pants, LOL.

Linny

Final Flight
Bucking

They put a strap near the animal's groin to encourage the bucking. It's not very nice.

Linny

gwendeline

Spectator
mylastduchess said:
Overall its a strong line-up only the Russians are not sending their medalist!

Notable names are

Ladies:
Shizuka Arakawa(YAY!!)
Fumie Suguri
Yukari Nakano
Sasha Cohen
Kimmie Miessner
Joannie Rochette
Elena Sokolova
etc.
No Slutskaya

Irina changed her mind, she goes to the championship!

maruru

Rinkside
Shizuka has decided to not attend. Yoshie, as an alternate, will join Fumie and Yukari.

How often does the ISU update their list of entrants? It seems nothing has changed since it was first put up. I'd like to see a definitive list this week.

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
Owe it to ticket holders

Yeah, they certainly owe it to the ticket holders to try to pin down the list and get it posted.
Linny

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
How often does the ISU update their list of entrants? It seems nothing has changed since it was first put up. I'd like to see a definitive list this week.

Joe

Dont know how often but they did yesterday. though its still not correct.

Thanks Sandra - I noticed Shizuka is still listed and Irina is not. If Shizuka does withdraw (and I don't see why not) it would mean that Sasha has no top competition and should win her first World's gold medal.

If the jitters do not get to her, I think Joannie will be on the podium.

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
"Top"

Oh, Joe, so many times I agree with you but on your definition of "top", I guess I'm just more generous. There are plenty of terrific ladies besides Suzuka and Irina.

And any skater can have a brilliant program (or three as is necessary at Worlds). Look at Lu Chen. She had the right performances where it counted. Candeloro is another one like that.

Joannie has home court advantage, so that may help. I'm forgetting the name of the men's bronze skater who got the bronze in Dortmund with home court advantages... and the German ice dancers also got bronze by taking advantage of home court advantage.

But don't count out other ladies or assume that Worlds will be a snooze just because Suzaka and/or Irina aren't there. Maybe someone else will come outta nowhere and thrill us all.... like G from Georgia. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Linny

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
To Linny:
I'm forgetting the name of the men's bronze skater who got the bronze in Dortmund with home court advantages...

I'm not Joesitz, but that skater's name was Stephan Lindemann (GER), the short guy with the Ilia Kulik flushed cheeks and Irina Slutskaya bow legs.

Linny - I think there are Very Top Skaters and Top Skaters. The Very Top have provent themselves to be a cut above the others. Two of the Very Top in Ladies so far will not be in Worlds 2006, presumably. I therefore, see that the other Very Top Lady will not have to worry about these two.

You are correct. anything can happen and it often does. But for the purpose of Forum discourse, I think one speaks only in superlatives of his/her favorite. The rest of the forumites speak in what they believe to be the indiviual best of each skater, and three stand out, and among those three, one stands out.

Cheers - Joe

PS - The Very Top Male Skater may not be there so there is a puzzle on who will be the three that stand out and, of course, the unique one.

R.D.

Record Breaker
This AP article CONFIRMS that Irina and Shizuka indeed will NOT be attending the Worlds.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11764801/

It mentions that Cohen and B and A are going, though. WIthout the russians, can B&A win their first World Championship? Can Cohen "pull an Irina" and finally get the World gold after being the silver medallist twice? We'll see. I suppose many are right and this worlds has potential to be fairly exciting.

I'll also start another thread.

shdotz

On the Ice
Irina skipping Worlds - not surprised

NanSinger2 said:
Is anyone surprised that Irina is skipping worlds? I would have thought she wanted redemption of sorts.

Irina has been around forever - and she has been one of my favorites since the first day I saw her skate - years ago.

It seemed she and MK were competitors at the time.

Since then, Irina has blossomed into, in my opinion, the best female skater ever.

I say that knowing that others will disagree.

My hope is that Irina will now skate at her will and make oodles of money. I think she also wants to start a family.

Hooray for Irina!! Thanks for so many, many years of good skates.

shdotz

Vash01

Medalist
shdotz said:

Irina has been around forever - and she has been one of my favorites since the first day I saw her skate - years ago.

It seemed she and MK were competitors at the time.

Since then, Irina has blossomed into, in my opinion, the best female skater ever.

I say that knowing that others will disagree.

My hope is that Irina will now skate at her will and make oodles of money. I think she also wants to start a family.

Hooray for Irina!! Thanks for so many, many years of good skates.

shdotz

I love Irina...always have.

Vash