Sasha's first "official" acting role? | Golden Skate

Sasha's first "official" acting role?

blackrose050

Rinkside
Johnny Weir is apparently going to make a cameo appearance in the same movie.

I don't really see Sasha as an actress. I'm not sure why. She's certainly pretty enough to match any movie star, but I don't see her actually playing dramatic roles. Maybe I'm wrong, though. We all have hidden talents!

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Today I saw a jewelry ad in a magazine(can't remember the magazine or the jewelry brand; may have been People). It was Sasha's face and she is definitely photogenic. She looked absolutely beautiful- definitely a movie star face.

Vash

shine

Record Breaker
Well, I hope it takes more than a pretty face to actually be an actress.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
I hope so too. I may be hypersensitive to this because I've studied theatre, but I get so peeved when people assume that the swtich to acting is so easy. I dislike the celebrity=actor mentality. It does take more than a pretty face. Acting is an art, and it's hard stuff. Sure skating is an art too, but it's not the same.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
I used to work with a casting director for years. And let me tell you, there's a plethora of talented people not working out there. Unless Sasha is serious and takes some classes, the best she can hope for are guest spots on TV shows and cameos in movies.

She seems really interested, so hopefully she'll get some training. Being artistic as a skater actually works against being a successful actor (other than getting comfortable with cameras). The kind of artistry required to emote to an arena full of people is too broad for acting. There's a big gigantic difference between "performing" and "acting".

She's certainly photogenic. The first thing she'll need to work on in my professional opinion is her voice. She tends to come across monotone and a little scratchy in her speech. But if she can correct that, get some acting lessons, she'll learn pretty quickly if she's got what it takes. From there, it takes a good agent and a lot of luck.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I don't think you can infer that she is seriously interested in going into acting from the fact that she is interested in doing a cameo role in a Ben Stiller film. She may be just be interested in doing the cameo, just for the experience, especially since it probably won't interfere much with her skating.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I agree. It could just be an opportunity to be in a movie. I'd take it if I had the offer. The movie sounds like it's going to be hilarious. She did say, it didn't sound like it would be a stretch. I think that she's being realistic about her skills. Good for her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Couldn't they get someone else?

A poster was right when they say LOOKS are the biggest thing besides talent that you need in Hollywood.

but that's beside the point. She would get recognized and that's what they want.

Red Dog said:
Couldn't they get someone else?
They searched high and low, but where were they going to find a gal with movie star looks, movie star charisma, disarming sense of humor -- a gal with style and grace AND a recognized name, recognized face and a fresh Olympic medal, straight off the pages of every magazine from Vanity Fair to Sports Illustrated -- to ham it up a little in a figure skating send-up? :agree:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Since the movie is about figure skating, I do think there was more than looks involved in her being selected. She is the Olympic Silver Medalist and US National Champion. It's not unusual for athletes to be asked to do cameos. Chances are, it will be like Witt giving Tom Cruise a hug in Jerry McGuire- blink and you'll miss it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
They've got MK, Tara Lipinski (but then again, maybe they turned it down)

SusanBeth

Final Flight
In Hollywood, they might be considered yesterday's news. Celebrities don't seem to have much time in the spotlight.

millie

Medalist
Probably they see something in Sasha that will make her a star. The other girls probably did't have what it takes to become a star outside skating. She do have a lot of star qualities, a fresh face and a personality to go with it (something that we don't see because we haven't been around her). All these big name movie stars weren't born like that, they were made into stars. They were all inexperienced when they started out but some have what it takes to get to the top, Sasha might have that quality, you never know.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
millie said:
Probably they see something in Sasha that will make her a star. The other girls probably did't have what it takes to become a star outside skating. She do have a lot of star qualities, a fresh face and a personality to go with it (something that we don't see because we haven't been around her). All these big name movie stars weren't born like that, they were made into stars. They were all inexperienced when they started out but some have what it takes to get to the top, Sasha might have that quality, you never know.
I don't see and "star quality" in Cohen. She is average looking at best, her voice is no good for acting, she's waaaaaaaaaaaay too short and she really lacks any believeable expression. In skating, she has exactly two expressions, the "OH LOOK AT ME! I am sooooooo exquisite," face, and the angry horse nostrils flared jaw clenched, "OOOOOH LOOK! Now I'm fiery!" face. Not what I want to see on the movie screen.

millie

Medalist
dancindiva03 said:
I don't see and "star quality" in Cohen. She is average looking at best, her voice is no good for acting, she's waaaaaaaaaaaay too short and she really lacks any believeable expression. In skating, she has exactly two expressions, the "OH LOOK AT ME! I am sooooooo exquisite," face, and the angry horse nostrils flared jaw clenched, "OOOOOH LOOK! Now I'm fiery!" face. Not what I want to see on the movie screen.

That "OH LOOK AT ME! characteristic is what the producers want in an actress. They don't some wishywashy, yes sir, no sir kind of girl. With that beautiful face and fiery attitude and the spunk that she has in her, she'll go to the top as an actress. I can she her playing Scarlett in Gone with Wind or some other big historical drama. She'll be snatched up by some big time producer that has a special role for her to star in. I can see the headlines now "Sasha at the Oscars not on a special assignment but as an Oscar winner". You will probably be the first one at the screening of her first movie and say there was a time when I hated her and thought that she had angry horse nostrils and a flared clenched jaw.:laugh: :laugh: And in her speech she will say "Here's to all the figure skating fans like dancindive03 that didn't believe in me and thought that I wouldn't make it to the top". "OH LOOK AT ME"

Last edited: