Marshalls final roster | Golden Skate

Marshalls final roster

Joe's post on the Worlds thread got me to look this up.

The spring cheesefest will be on April 11 and televisied April 15. Skaters expected to perform are

Ladies
Sasha Cohen (USA)
Emily Hughes (USA)
Michelle Kwan (USA)
Kimmie Meissner (USA)
Irina Slutskaya (RUS)

Men
Stephane Lambiel (SUI)
Evan Lysacek (USA)
Evgeny Plushenko (RUS)
Matt Savoie (USA)
Johnny Weir (USA)

Pairs
Rena Inoue & John Baldwin (USA)
Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin (RUS)

Dance
Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto (USA)

They are calling this the "Marshalls U.S. Figure Skating Showcase" and say that each participant will skate two "exhibition pieces." It sounds like it will just be a show with no judging.

http://usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=33380

Mathman

Last edited:

CDMM1991

Medalist
Thanks Mathman. I really hope Michelle does at least one of her programs from this past season.

I can't imagine Michelle doing to this.

I hope Irina shows up and is healthy.

Nice to see Stephane and Evgeni as show people and each one different than the other.

The rest will be standard fare. Nice to watch as the sun sets on Michigan and the spring sales go up at Marshalls and we all wait with baited breath for the soup competitions in september with no one ready yet. And so it goes, another year in the life of a fanatic figure skate fan.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's just way it goes, I guess :laugh:

These worlds better be exciting, because there's not much reason for me to be interested in following the next four years. I'm a casual Olympic fan at heart, remember that. I don't even know what caused me to follow skating from the four years between 2002 and 2006. It was great to be familiar with the competitors in Torino, however. I think I would have been totally lost if I hadn't because of the new scoring system, and all these international players.

mzheng

Record Breaker
It is really nice line up. Especially to me Michelle is there. :love:

The exhibition is all she can do at this point. I doubt there is any jump in her programs.

rob43

On the Ice
Well- she still has a month to prepare so I'm assuming we'll see a couple of 3 toes from Kwan. Maybe a lutz- I imagine she'll play it slow before going back to axels and salchows.

If Taylor gets the nod for worlds or Rochette medals, do you think they'll add either of those?

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
This is how the results will go if they all skate well:

Women:

1)Kwan
2)Cohen
3)Meissner
4)Hughes
5)Slutskaya

Men:

1. Johnny Weir
2. Evan Lysacek
3. Evgeny Plushenko
4. Matt Savoie
5. Stephane Lambiel

The event is a farce, it is only a cheap attempt to boost the U.S skaters.

nymkfan51

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
The event is a farce, it is only a cheap attempt to boost the U.S skaters.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is not a competition ... it's an exhibition only.
Hard to understand how it's a farce. :scratch:

And darn that usfsa again, trying to showcase their skaters ... shame on them. :sheesh:

It's not cheap at all. Typically they give out about $200,000 in prize money, making these invitationals the most desirable stops on the circuit.

As Nymkfan says, it appears from the announcements that this one will not be judged at all. It seems to be just an exhbition, especially since the pairs and dancers are listed right along with the men and women as regular participants. Usually they have judging for just the men and women, with "exhibition" skates by guest pairs/dancers.

BTW, of the December cheesefests that I have gone to (one Heshey's Kisses and two Marshalls) Slutskaya won over Michelle two out of three times, and Plushenko (the crowd favorite - he's huge here in Detroit :) ) won all three times.

Prediction: When the Grand Prix folds, the "Triple Crown" (the two Marshalls and the Campbell Soup bowl) will become the new big deal events on the circuit.

Cheese rules! :rock:

MM :)

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Since this is an exhibition and not a competition, we may see Michelle there. She will not have the pressure to do triple jumps, so she can really sell those programs. Of course i hope that she is well enough to do the triple jumps.

Vash

flowjo35

On the Ice
I think this format will be great for the skaters to relax and maybe show us their new numbers for COI. I really hope Michelle is able to compete. I would love to see her skate some good programs to end her year on a nice note. I hope she is doing better.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Let's see- 2 hours as broadcast. It's exhibitions, so usually they'd be shorter than LP's. Maybe 20 performances broadcast at best??? I see 13 skaters/teams on that list. It looks like I&B, Emily and Savoie get chacked to me. (I hope not...I hope they will show at least one program by each of the skaters/teams).

flowjo35

On the Ice
DORISPULASKI said:
Let's see- 2 hours as broadcast. It's exhibitions, so usually they'd be shorter than LP's. Maybe 20 performances broadcast at best??? I see 13 skaters/teams on that list. It looks like I&B, Emily and Savoie get chacked to me. (I hope not...I hope they will show at least one program by each of the skaters/teams).

I don't this there is anyway the will chack Emily, not after all that happened during olympics. Unfortunately I think you are right about Matt, I think he is so taken for granted. Matt moves like a dream over the ice, I love to see him skate.:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think it will be 2 Kwan, 2 Cohen, 2 B&A. Everyone else is expendable.

rob43

On the Ice
I'm sure Meisner, Hughes, Weir and Evan will be shown since they are the 'next big thingd' and USFSA needs to build an audience for them. Having had the same 3-4 big names for the lasst quad has really menat a little of a built in audience. Now its time to build the brand, if you will.

I'm not at all sure Kwan will show up although advertising her will increase the ratings.

As to format, I would prefer one skate by each performer. I don't need to see two similar routines to different background music.

Joe

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Here's how I want them to finish:
LADIES
1) Cohen
2) Hughes
3) Slutskaya
4) Meissner
5) Kwan
MEN
1) Weir