Slutskaya note (translated) | Golden Skate

Slutskaya note (translated)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Original
Slutskaja isn’t going to Worls
The Turin Olympics bronze medalist Irina Slutskaya is not going to the World championships in Calgary. The skater informed the sports information agency “All Sport” of her decision. Originally, Slutskaya did not plan to go to Canada, but then changed her mind during the Presidential banquet when she announced she’d be going.

“I won’t take part in the World championships in Calgary”, confirmed the two-time World champion and the seven-time European champion. “This does not mean that I’ll sit idly and fall into a depression. Now, I plan to delight Russian fans with my exhibition skating. Yes, my dream did not pan out, I did not get the Olympic gold medal, but I believe that the best in my life is still ahead”.

Slutskaya noted that her fall during the free skate at the Olympics in Turin, which sent her to the third place, was the most difficult one in all senses. “I fell, and everything collapsed. In a fraction of a second, I had to pull myself together and fight for the rest of the elements. I am very proud that I accomplished that and skated the rest of the program like a true champion”, said the skater.

Thanks, Ptichka. Could you get any sense as to whether the part about "Now I'll just do exhibitions" was hinting towards retiring from competition altogether, or just "for now, instead of going to Calgary?"

It's the prerogative of women to change their mind.

What irks me about Irina is that she lauds herself when she really doesn't have to. I mean she fell, got up and skated clean but it was not with any pizzaz. Her courageous battle with that debilitating disease with all its gold medals leading up to the Olys is something for which all fans will applaud her. If figure skating gave an award for being brave under grave circumstances, I thing Irina should win it.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ptichka, thanks for the translation and most of all the update as to whether she was or was not going.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
I fourth (fifth) the thanks for the translation. Interesting...looks like she's going to retire and do show skating (that's how I interpret her comment).

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Thanks for the translation... I was so looking forward to her competiting at Worlds... When the top names don't show & the competition is weak, it's bad for the sport. Oh well... There's always '07 to look forward to...

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
Thanks for the translation... I was so looking forward to her competiting at Worlds... When the top names don't show & the competition is weak, it's bad for the sport. Oh well... There's always '07 to look forward to...

Thanks also for the translation. I don't think it is bad for the sport when the top names don't show up. After all, I recall the men's event from '98 -- the Oly medalists didn't show, but I did get introduced to two young Russian guys who didn't exactly harm the sport.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Thanks also for the translation. I don't think it is bad for the sport when the top names don't show up. After all, I recall the men's event from '98 -- the Oly medalists didn't show, but I did get introduced to two young Russian guys who didn't exactly harm the sport.

Attyfan, good point. I shall try to be more positive in my outlook for worlds.