If Michelle competes next year.... | Golden Skate

If Michelle competes next year....

heyang

Record Breaker
Since she's been on the podium at every Sr Nationals she's appeared in since 1994, she hasn't had to compete at regionals and sectionals. Since she couldn't skate at Nationals this year, Will she have to compete at regionals and sectionals?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My guess is she'd still get a bye... but technically I think she'd have to

I just don't see Michelle as skating competitively next year. I believe she has chronic pain which prevents any sort of heavy practicing. She is a sportsperson and would want to compete to win. This will not happen in her condition.

As for exhibitions, I think she can handle something simple once or twice a year. I have doubts about a full COI booking.

Joe

flowjo35

On the Ice
I think I read somewhere that if she did a Grand Prix event that is at the same time as regionals or sectionals she would not have to compete in those events, just do the Grand Prix and she would be able to go to nationals. We do not how serious her injury is so who knows if she will be competing next season. Her agent stated that she would decide about competing next season this summer like she has since 2002. If she can not compete hopefully she can be involved in skating in some way or go back to school if she so desires. Either way I wish her all the luck in the world.:)

ilovepaydays

Rinkside
I think if Michelle is REALLY serious about continuing competing, she should skip the whole COI all together and work on her recovery/becoming COP competitive.

nymkfan51

Medalist
ilovepaydays said:
I think if Michelle is REALLY serious about continuing competing, she should skip the whole COI all together and work on her recovery/becoming COP competitive.

That wouldn't really be the best way to go, IMO. Last season, (after a very short COI tour), she started training as early as June and had 2 very COP-friendly programs ready for the season. The problem was, IMO, that the lengthy, intense training took it's toll on her body in the end. She knows what is required of her as far as COP goes ... the key will be whether she can find a less invasive type of training which wouldn't cause additional injuries. And, of course ... assuming she wants to compete, and can be fully recovered from the injuries she has already sustained.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I recall reading somewhere that Michelle said the audience reaction she got on COI after SLC helped her recover emotionally; I think she will need the emotional support from cheering crowds more than ever. I also wonder when the ISU will issue changes (if any) in the CoP -- those might make a difference as to whether Michelle is or is not able to come back.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
COI will give Kwan a chance to exercise those skating muscles without overdoing and slowly build up stamina. If she wants to continue on next season, she will be in good shape to go back to practicing her programs. She can do Campbell's and Skate America without having to do a second GP event, then just focus on her programs for Nationals and beyond.

First all saying Michelle has to work on making her skating CoP friendly. This is another dumb statement about an injured skater who placed 4th (narrowly missing 3rd) in a World Championship. If this was not Cop friendly, what was it? She beat out 26 skaters who had CoP friendly routines.

Now for the topic: It seems many of her fans are suggesting a few plans of action for her. This is well intended but how much do we know about her injuries? Kwan has never been open about her private life.

I think it is another wait and see. For my own speculation, she has a lot of work to cover to get back to the podium.

Joe

sk8m8

Final Flight
If nothing more, I think MK would want to return to the nationals at least once more to attempt breaking the record of Vison-Owens.

MidnightNess

Rinkside
I think first and foremost, Kwan needs to rest and heal completely. She pushed herself through a hip injury this season only to injure her groin not once but twice--mostly likely by overcompensating for the bad hip. Just a guess :) She may or may not need surgery but if she does, I hope she gets it now. Perhaps then, pain will no longer be a factor in her competitive future. Instead it will come down to sheer motivation. Kwan has all the tools now for COP, from what we heard from Tarasova to the bits from the test skate, i have no doubt she can do level 3 and 4 elements. She just needs to stay the he** away from the beilmann ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
If Michelle decides to compete at '07 Nationals, I think she'd get more than a bye ~ I think she'd get a car, a mink, a trip...

Yup. And also throw in....well, maybe I shouldn't say it.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Yup. And also throw in....well, maybe I shouldn't say it.

Ok, since I'm the Rabid Fan, I'll say it... a 10th National Title... (even if my intention is probably not yours... gotta love the Michelle Kwan LoveFest that is Nationals!:laugh: )

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Ok, since I'm the Rabid Fan, I'll say it... a 10th National Title... (even if my intention is probably not yours... gotta love the Michelle Kwan LoveFest that is Nationals!:laugh: )

nah, I was thinking of something else :rofl: alright, never mind, ok? ;)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
If what Michelle wants to do is simply end her career on a higher note, do you really think she has to win Nats? I would think that a strong skate and a medal would do just fine (for these purposes only)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I do. She's definitely good enough to win a 10th title. Anything less than that, by Kwan's own standard, won't be good enough.

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
attyfan said:
If what Michelle wants to do is simply end her career on a higher note, do you really think she has to win Nats? I would think that a strong skate and a medal would do just fine (for these purposes only)

I don't think that, after winning Nationals every time she entered for 8 years than silver would not be considered a failure (by her standards, not mine) After all, if she didn't think Olympic Silver was good enough, I doubt she would think that national silver was good enough.