Lysacek's embarassingly inflated PCS scores, the reason? | Golden Skate

Lysacek's embarassingly inflated PCS scores, the reason?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I think it is common knowledge Lysacek gets grossly inflated PCS scores. What is the reason for his grossly inflated PCS scores do you think?

Um, didn't we already do this thread?

As I recall, the overwhelming consensus was that Lysacek gets absurdly, ridiculously, embarrassingly, laughably inflated scores (especially compare to Lambiel :love: :rock: :bow:) because he always receives the lions share of the 20 extra PCS points allotted to American skaters (thus depriving Sasha of her fair share, and relegating her to a mere silver medal at Torino :cry: )

BTW, no spoilers in the Edge, but Evan just skated in the qualifying round at Calgary a few minutes ago. You can check out how he did -- PCS scores and all -- in the Worlds folder. :agree:

MM :)

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
"I think it is common knowledge Lysacek gets grossly inflated PCS scores."

You've included four unnecessary words here, take them out and we have the much more accurate statement:

"I think Lysacek gets grossly inflated PCS scores."

Now maybe you'll justify your opinions with specific points about where you think he's getting scores that are too high. Be specific!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Ok here we go:

1)his basic stroking is jerky.
2)he is somewhat slow.
3)His posture is not that strong
4)He does not do movements on the music.
5)His skating has an immaturish juniorish quality about it.
6)his choreography is not that intricate
7)He does not skate with much emotion or expression.
8)He is angular and awkward compared to some of the other top skaters
9)He does not intrepret music that well

Compared to other top skaters like Buttle, Lambiel, Weir, Plushenko, his presentation is juniorish, it isnt even in the same league as theirs.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mafke said:
"I think it is common knowledge Lysacek gets grossly inflated PCS scores."

You've included four unnecessary words here, take them out and we have the much more accurate statement:

"I think Lysacek gets grossly inflated PCS scores."

Now maybe you'll justify your opinions with specific points about where you think he's getting scores that are too high. Be specific!

Anybody I have talked to who is "objective" agrees his PCS scores are much too high BTW. The only people who have disagreed with me are the rabid fanboys.

slutskayafan21 said:
8)He is angular and awkward compared to some of the other top skaters.
That is Evan's great strength and virtue! He is Ray Bolger :cool: to the other guys' Fred Astaire.

Come on, now, tell the truth. If you were casting the Wizard of Oz on Ice, who would be the Scarecrow? :yes:

MM

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
That is Evan's great strength and virtue! He is Ray Bolger :cool: to the other guys' Fred Astaire.

Come on, now, tell the truth. If you were casting the Wizard of Oz on Ice, who would be the Scarecrow? :yes:

MM

I agree he would be a great Scarecrow. :rock:

Mafke

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Anybody I have talked to who is "objective" agrees his PCS scores are much too high BTW. The only people who have disagreed with me are the rabid fanboys.

Define "objective" (nb. 'agrees with me' is not a definition)
Define "rabid fanboys" (nb. 'don't agree with me' is not a definition)

I still await (though I'm getting a little impatient) your precise critique of Lysacek's PCS. Feel free to include posture, edging, speed, fields in the move and how Lysacek's execution is inferior to those competitors who receive higher PCS.
And "PCS scores" is redundant, PCS is enough.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mafke said:
Define "objective" (nb. 'agrees with me' is not a definition)
Define "rabid fanboys" (nb. 'don't agree with me' is not a definition)

I still await (though I'm getting a little impatient) your precise critique of Lysacek's PCS. Feel free to include posture, edging, speed, fields in the move and how Lysacek's execution is inferior to those competitors who receive higher PCS.
And "PCS scores" is redundant, PCS is enough.

I already explained how his skating is inferior to those others, as anybody who is not blind can see. If you cant read that is your problem. You are obviously a rabid Lysacek fanboy. Thank the gods Lysacek is an American or you would never have heard of him. :laugh:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I'm not a rabid Lysacek fan, but I don't think his PCS are always surprising. They were unduly high (IMO) at US Nats, but I assumed that those scores were intended to secure the presence of the reigning World bronze medalist on the Oly team. At Olys -- the judges have always rewarded great comebacks, and the fact that the CoP hasn't changed a basic tenet of judicial bias shouldn't surprise anyone.

Mafke

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Ok here we go:

- no worse than Plushenko (not the smoothest skater in the world)
2)he is somewhat slow.
- it's so hard to tell on tv, unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to see him live. I think he looks faster than Savoie (a skater I prefer to him).
- it's nothing great, but not notably worse than others at that level
- who does in COP? He's close enough and getting better
- Eh? No, I can't agree here, he's fully senior
- he's not up to Weir's level, but not a disgrace (like Plushenko's at olys)
- not all the time (no skater does) but at olys, he was definitely channeling his inner diva during the lp, especially the final footwork which was delivered with a lot of flare (though it wasn't that difficult)
- his body morphology isn't typical for skaters (kind of lanky looking) but he uses his angularity well often enough
- sort of subjective, he's uneven, but again, I'd rate his LP interpretation at olys well above that of skate-and-jump-and-skate-and-jump Plushenko (who deservedly won)

I'm not really a Lysacek fan (I prefer Weir, Savoie, Klimkin,Lambiel and maybe Buttle from those competing at this worlds and maybe Sandhu if he wasn't such a mess) but you're a Lysacek hater plain and simple. Give it up already.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
While I agree that Evan does enjoy generous scores in general, I had to add that I absolutely LOVE IT when Slutskayafan21goes off on his Evan rants... it makes me smile...

Having said that, I'd like to hear from those who feel Evan's scores are fair & why... between his edges, spins and overall jump content ~ I am unable to see what all the fuss is about...

Mafke

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
I already explained how his skating is inferior to those others, as anybody who is not blind can see. If you cant read that is your problem. You are obviously a rabid Lysacek fanboy. Thank the gods Lysacek is an American or you would never have heard of him. :laugh:

Your explanation wasn't visible when I began that post, I've since answered it. And as a matter of fact, there are at least four skaters I strongly prefer to Lysacek and a couple who could easily pass him in my estimation if they stopped doing planned falls and driving me crazy with their passive-aggressive approach to skating respectively. You however seem completely absorbed with some sort of irrational hatred toward a young man who (AFAIK) has done you no harm. Give up the hate and just enjoy the skating. I'd say Lysacek's spin scores a little high and the rest is roughly right.

Ditto the last two posts.This is just nastiness. You are writing as if EL always skated the way he did when he was sick at Oly Sp, and you call other people blind? Good grief!

Mafke

Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
While I agree that Evan does enjoy generous scores in general, I had to add that I absolutely LOVE IT when Slutskayafan21goes off on his Evan rants... it makes me smile....

It (slutskayafan21) actually makes me want to like Lysacek more than I do. For the record I think he's very good, just not a special favorite of mine.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
- no worse than Plushenko (not the smoothest skater in the world)
2)he is somewhat slow.
- it's so hard to tell on tv, unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to see him live. I think he looks faster than Savoie (a skater I prefer to him).
- it's nothing great, but not notably worse than others at that level
- who does in COP? He's close enough and getting better
- Eh? No, I can't agree here, he's fully senior
- he's not up to Weir's level, but not a disgrace (like Plushenko's at olys)
- not all the time (no skater does) but at olys, he was definitely channeling his inner diva during the lp, especially the final footwork which was delivered with a lot of flare (though it wasn't that difficult)
- his body morphology isn't typical for skaters (kind of lanky looking) but he uses his angularity well often enough
- sort of subjective, he's uneven, but again, I'd rate his LP interpretation at olys well above that of skate-and-jump-and-skate-and-jump Plushenko (who deservedly won)

If that is your accessment of his skating his PCS areas are nowhere near strong enough to warrant mid-7s unless you are going to give skaters like Buttle, Lambiel, and Weir with clean performances mid-to-high 8s. You should not get the same scores in PCS as the best for just having "ok" PC qualities, which seems to be what you are conceding he has with your accessments.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Kwanford Wife said:
While I agree that Evan does enjoy generous scores in general, I had to add that I absolutely LOVE IT when Slutskayafan21goes off on his Evan rants... it makes me smile...

Having said that, I'd like to hear from those who feel Evan's scores are fair & why... between his edges, spins and overall jump content ~ I am unable to see what all the fuss is about...

I doubt anybody could come up with a half decent argument why Even deserves his scores unless it is:

1)he is American
2)he is the USTA's pet
3)he is a fighter(who knew you got scores for being a fighter)
4)he is not from a smaller country with no political power
5)he is a nice guy(who knew you got scores for being a nice guy)
6)his awkwardness is due to his body type(who knew you got compensation for that).

I have never seen anybody come up with an explanation of Evan's scores other than a bunch of smoke and mirrors fluff.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mafke said:
Your explanation wasn't visible when I began that post, I've since answered it. And as a matter of fact, there are at least four skaters I strongly prefer to Lysacek and a couple who could easily pass him in my estimation if they stopped doing planned falls and driving me crazy with their passive-aggressive approach to skating respectively. You however seem completely absorbed with some sort of irrational hatred toward a young man who (AFAIK) has done you no harm. Give up the hate and just enjoy the skating. I'd say Lysacek's spin scores a little high and the rest is roughly right.

I do absoulely hate seeing skaters being given marks they dont deserve, better skaters being held down in scores that they do deserve, because the skaters work too hard and put too much of their lives into what they are doing to be victimized by this type of injustice.

It is good to see a couple of "objective" skating fans like Kwanford Wife and Attyfan show up with balanced reasoning rather than the remaining flock of Evan fanboys who even have the audacity to try to deny that, and label somebody with a more accurate accessment of his skating as a "hater".

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
I do absoulely hate seeing skaters being given marks they dont deserve,

You must _really_ hate Plushenko after Torino then ....