21 Fumie SUGURI JPN 2 90.59
22 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN 5 85.66
23 Elena SOKOLOVA RUS 6 85.40
24 Yukari NAKANO JPN 4 87.41

I hope that Sasha DO IT! GO SASHA!

Last edited:

CDMM1991

Medalist
CBC is showing almost the whole competition live I think! Three hours devoted to just the women's free skate! :yes: They might cut in and out into other sports mind you. But, I'll be able to provide reports live nonetheless.

jesslily

Final Flight
Does anybody know why Sasha's name is not in any group? She's planning to withdraw from the long?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
jesslily said:
Does anybody know why Sasha's name is not in any group? She's planning to withdraw from the long?

the poster who posted it bolded Sasha's name... she's the first to skate in the final flight

GO SASHA AND JOANNIE!!!!! :rock: :clap:

I have a theory about the way Sasha skated her SP that relates to the LP.

I think Sasha held back on the SP. That is, she didn't really "sell it" and put a lot of energy into it like she did, IMO, at the Olympics. I think that experience taught her that all she had to do was skate a clean or close to clean SP but that she needs to conserve her energy for the LP.

I'm not saying Sasha's SP was bad. She did a yeoman's job. But I think her strategy is to try to save her "heart and soul" for the LP. Also, Sasha said in the interview with Peter that her performance in the Q round "shook her up," which I think is another reason why she's trying to save her energy for and forcus on the LP. JMO.

As I said before, I hope it's a "skate to the blades" between Fumie and Sasha, and also that all the top ladies skate lights out the way so many of the men did. I hope the tendency for one gender to skate great and the other to have a splatfest doesn't happen here. So many of the ladies have so much to offer. I still think it's anybody's game among the top six or so.

Go ladies, GO!

Rgirl

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rgirl said:
Also, Sasha said in the interview with Peter that her performance in the Q round "shook her up," which I think is another reason why she's trying to save her energy for and forcus on the LP. JMO.
Go ladies, GO! Rgirl
Rgirl, I heard that comment too. I like your theory.

Dee

bronxgirl

Medalist
I think that Sasha wants that gold medal for the Worlds soooo badly that it raises the ugly specter of her past errors. The gold medal was hers for the taking, and she came out with the deer in the headlight look on her face. Let's hope there are no deer scampering around the Calgary arena today.

kyla2

Final Flight
Sasha

I don't think Sasha was saving anything. I think she was simply reflecting her uncertainity as to if she would land her jumps. She is one skater who's emotions are out there for everyone to see. I hope she can pull it together tonite for her sake, but if not, I want Fumie to win with a clean skate. I really don't want a seriously flawed skate to win and I don't care how beautiful the spiral sequence is. So Sasha just go for it and land those damn jumps.

jesslily

Final Flight
Tonichelle, thanks for showing me Sasha's name and skating order. Before getting my new glasses, I guess I have trouble to read things clearly. Just watched ladies' short, Sasha looked so nervous till the second half of her program. There is no need to blame her anything. I think the major problem is still her stamina.

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
jesslily said:
Tonichelle, thanks for showing me Sasha's name and skating order. Before getting my new glasses, I guess I have trouble to read things clearly. Just watched ladies' short, Sasha looked so nervous till the second half of her program. There is no need to blame her anything. I think the major problem is still her stamina.

Sasha's major problem in the FS is beyond stamina, it's more a combination of nerves and loss of focus. She was strong enough to finish her Olympic LP as cleanly as she can, and she was strong enough to nail 4 out of 6 attempted triples in her QR here.
I think the warm up will immediately presage how well she'll land the jumps that have been dodging her since Torino: the lutz and flip, but a new-found insecurity with landing her salchow this time (and salchow is her money jump).
Her injury should not majorly factor in b/c she's had 1wk to give it a rest, and her leg is not bandaged this time to lessen the pressure from landing.
If she loses this Worlds title from her grip, then there's something almost permanently shaky with her state of mind when it comes to dealing with pressure from competition.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Current standings (the first two groups have skated):

Overall Standings
1 Carolina KOSTNER ITA 172.45
2 Mira LEUNG CAN 168.80
3 Idora HEGEL CRO 163.58
4 Yan LIU CHN 159.05
5 Amanda NYLANDER SWE 154.08
6 Tugba KARADEMIR TUR 152.95
7 Arina MARTINOVA RUS 149.89
8 Galina EFREMENKO UKR 149.65