About Joannie Rochette | Golden Skate

About Joannie Rochette

chania36

On the Ice
Hi, I was thincking regarding the result of this past year's result of Joanie in her competitions, that she did not do the triple triple like she did the year before and that was the year she won her first national title with another coach, she had with this other coach, Sebastien Britten, a national champion in Canada before, I feel that him and the other coach in the team which I do not remember her name, they were two, I feel that she was better then technically and also mentally.

Should she go back to those two coach??? I know that the reason this season's coach, and her coach of always, she left her the year before because of some sort of problem with her motivation and he mental, she left her because she thought that Joannie may do better with someone else... and she did, since then, she did not so bad, but not great like the year before with those 2 new coaches.

What do you think???

CDMM1991

Medalist
I disagree that she did better last year. She won the bronze at the Grand Prix Final, but a lot of the major contenders weren't there. At the culminating competition of the season however, she came 12th. This year, she didn't have as great of a season at the Grand Prix, mostly because she had a pretty tough assignment, but at the most major competition, the Olympics she came through and came fifth. I think she's fine with the coach she's with.

chania36

On the Ice
Oh well, she seemed to have more confidence with the others and she did more clean long program with them and also she did a triple triple in the long, so where is that technical jump now?? We might never know but I just hope for Joanie that she can find herself again, her confidence, hope that the coach she has now wont leave her again after this season...

CDMM1991

Medalist
I think she should go with whatever coach she is happier with. If having cleaner programs made her happier than that's fine. she should go back to the coach she was with. But she also said that winning her first Canadian title without Manon was very hard for her. So if the bond between her and her coach is the most important thing to her, than maybe she's willing to put up with less perfect programs.

She had a podium chance at Calgary. She played the cautious card. That was wrong for her, but who knew that? She's still a work in progress and I think this Worlds gave her a timely lesson. Wait'll next year.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, I think that Joannie was spooked by skating in her home country and overwhelmed by the expectations of the fan and the media that she bring home a medal. She was also still grieving over the deaths of a training mate and another friend in a car accident after Torino.

She did fine in the QR because there wasn't a huge audience, and the tougher skaters (Cohen, Suguri, Meissner) were in the other group. The other top skaters in her group had skated before her and none skated particularly well.

But once she had finished #1 in the QR, the expectations for the SP were high, and she had the bad luck to skate last in the final group, right after Cohen skated a very good SP. She had a turnout on the opening combination, then singled the axel at the end of the program and fell to 5th.

In the FS, she skated after Sasha, Kimmie and Fumie, and had to have heard what an incredible score Kimmie had thrown down. In this, the last segment of the last event in the competition, she was the last chance for a Canadian medal. Worse, her mother had put her costumes in the washing machine and she was skating in a costume that no longer fit her properly. It was all too much for her, and she folded like a card table.

Joannie is just not a good clutch skater, and like Kostner, skating at home (at least in an international competition) is not the best thing for her.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Paul Martini said it best: "Joannie learned at this Worlds she has to be consistent in all three areas: Qr, SP and LP." I think she will go home and regroup and come back stronger next season - same with Jeff.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ladskater said:
Paul Martini said it best: "Joannie learned at this Worlds she has to be consistent in all three areas: Qr, SP and LP." I think she will go home and regroup and come back stronger next season - same with Jeff.

I am sure Joannie KNOWS that. The problem is DOING it. Joannie's nemesis has always been the SP rather than the FS. She said it herself in an interview after the FS---she overthinks her skating. She lets her nerves get to her, and skating at home definitely made that worse. She will probably have better luck in Tokyo.