Best 3 in each discipline at years end? | Golden Skate

Best 3 in each discipline at years end?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Now that all the major events are done for the year who do you consider at years end the 3 best in each event. These would be mine:

Best women skater-Slutskaya-She did lose twice but still had the most consistently strong season of anybody IMO. She also still has the best free skate score of the year, and the best short program score of the year.

Second best women skater-Asada-She was consistently better than any other women, other than Slutskaya, during the senior events she was able to skate at, and even beat Slutskaya once. She did lose World juniors but she has never lost to the new World Champion, and she won her only meetings with Cohen and Arakawa.

Third best women skater-Arakawa-It would be hard to put the new Olympic Champion lower than 3rd, plus her Olympic combined short and long scores would have won Worlds.

Best mens skater-Plushenko-no brainer, no explanation required.

Second best mens akter-Lambiel-another no brainer.

Third best mens skater-Joubert-He has not been nearly as consistent as Buttle or even Lysacek this year, but his Worlds performances would have easily beaten anything Buttle or Lysacek have done all year.

Best pairs team-Totmianina and Marinin-unbeaten all year.

Second best pairs team-Zhang and Zhang-they did win the Olympic silver even if I did not agree with it, it is still a fact; and although they lost the Worlds gold, they won the GP final silver, and except for their World loss to Pang/Tong have regularly beaten every team other than Totmianina/Marinin this year.

Third best pairs team-Pang and Tong-I have to go with them here since they did win Worlds. I thought they should have won the Oly silver but they did not, if they had I would have had them 2nd.

Best dance team-Navka and Kostomarov-unbeaten all year, only 1 loss in 3 years in fact.

Second best dance team-Denkova/Stayvinski-because they won the Worlds.

Third best dance team-Belbin/Agosto-because they were on the podium at both the Olympics and Worlds.

Ladies:

1. 2006 World Champion Kimmie Meissner

2. 2006 Grand Prix Champion Mao Asada

3. 2006 World Junior Champion Yu-na Kim

"It's a new world, Golda."

MM :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ladies: Slutskaya for dominating up to the Olys, Arakawa for winning Olys, Meissner for winning Worlds.

I don't know. Irina won only three events this season, Cup of China, Cup of Russia and Europeans.

She did dominate the scene in the 2004-2005 season. But that was then, this is now.

MM

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Well I have no problem with somebody putting Irina lower than 1st since this is to find out other peoples opinions. However just for the record I would not mind at all pointing out after reading Mathman's last comments a few things. For starter she still has the seasons best short program score and seasons best free skate score. She has 2 losses this year in 5 events, but Asada has 2 losses this season doing 1 loss event and 1 was in a junior event, Arakawa has losses in 3 of her 4 events even discounting dumb cheesefests and did not even make the GP final despite doing 2 GP events, Meissner has been on the podium in only 2 of her 5 events(again excluding cheesefests)this year, and Cohen has won only 1 of her 4 events(again excluding cheesefests)this year and it was U.S Nationals.

Michelle was an undefeated one for one (the Marshall's Invitational)!

slutskayafan21 said:
Best mens skater-Plushenko-no brainer, no explanation required.

Second best mens skater-Lambiel-another no brainer.
Plushenko is a no-brainer, but as for the second best, I consulted the poll that we have going on in the Voting Booth folder on this very topic. Skaters receiving second place votes are Sandhu, Buttle, Joubert, Weir, Lindemann, Takahashi, and Lysacek. Not a single vote for Lambiel. :cry:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
Michelle was an undefeated one for one (the Marshall's Invitational)!

Plushenko is a no-brainer, but as for the second best, I consulted the poll that we have going on in the Voting Booth folder on this very topic. Skaters receiving second place votes are Sandhu, Buttle, Joubert, Weir, Lindemann, Takahashi, and Lysacek. Not a single vote for Lambiel. :cry:

Lambiel was not an option in my poll if you noticed. :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
uh oh Joe did it again ;) he made an exageration ;) watch the fight begin ;)

seriously though...

are we talking statistically, because that really can't be debated. Numbers don't lie (judges on the other hand...)

but if we're talking the best as far as whom each poster here found to be most interesting throughout the season or had the best programs.. then I'm game

with that in mind
ladies
Cohen, Rochette, Arakawa - the first two because their programs, even when flawed, are gorgeous! Arakawa because she knows just when to bring her A game

men
Lambiel, Lysacek, Buttle - Stephane is just an amazing skater and he certainly proved himself this year.. Lysacek let the pressure get to him but he is the comeback kid, Jeff Buttle... kinda like Lysacek in the comebacks, but I finally noticed his skating this year

pairs
really don't pay much attention... but Marcy and Aaron get major props from me!

dance
Tanith and Ben, Melissa and Denis, Jamie and Ryan - ok so I'm biased :laugh:

krenseby

Final Flight
It's really tough to pick the strongest 3.... Irina Slutskaya won some Grand Prix events, came in 2nd in the Olympic Short and 3rd overall, so she certainly makes the list. Arakawa does too because of her Olympic win. However, it's hard to know who deserves the third spot. Is it Sasha, Kimmie, or Fumie.. Kimmie won the Worlds, but with Worlds and Olympics taken together, Fumie and Sasha have better standings on average. Out of them two, preference would have to be given to Sasha because she medaled both events but Fumie only medaled at the Worlds. However, on the other hand, Sasha may have been held up just a bit during both, so it would be not be so unfair to tie them for the 3rd spot.

zeytin

Rinkside
i'd pick plushenko, lambiel and lysacek in mens. no explanation for plushenko...lambiel was really shining all season, and lysacek delivered 2 great lp's after disaster sp's in olys and worlds....as 4th i'd pick joubert for his wonderfull comeback at worlds :)
in ladies i'd say slutskaya and shizuka but i couldn't find the third...perhaps my dear tugba for her improvement : ok,i'm biased. :)

Niza

Rinkside
1 Arakawa, Plushenko, Totmyanina/Marinin, and i dislike Navka
2 Meissner, Lambiel, Totmyanina again, Navka
3 Asada, Weir (i just love him), Zhang/ Zhang, Denkova