Which man will win a World title first(if any) | Golden Skate

Which man will win a World title first(if any)

First of these men to win first World title(if any) will be?

• Joubert

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Lysacek

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • Weir

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Takahashi

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Oda

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Sandhu(really a stretch)

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Buttle

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • either other or none of the above

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Of the contending men who are competiting that have not yet won World titles, who will be the first to win one if any?

I said Oda, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were Joubert.

Oda's age is in his favor. He has plenty of time to get a quad or two. If Plushenko comes back, and if Lambiel holds steady for a couple of years, Oda might have to wait until 2008 or 2009.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I wanted to pick Takahashi but I picked Oda. Seeing Takahashi`s underscoring at the Olympics, and Oda`s somewhat overscored short program at Worlds, although unfortunately he could not convert it into a medal with a solid long program, and them holding Takahashi out of Worlds although he deserved to go as the National Champion, it makes me believe the Japanese federation is behind Oda more than Takahashi. In addition to that he is more consistent though. Of all the men in the field now I believe Oda has the most improvement left, and Takahashi second most. Lysacek can only improve as far as getting a quad, but that wont take him to any golds unless others dont skate their best. Weir can improve his consistency and get a solid quad, but I dont know if he will.
Oda can improve everything, except his jump quality perhaps(I mean GOE quality, not difficutly where he still can go up a long ways)he is extremely raw. Takahashi can improve his consistency and keep improving his spins, footwork and conviction on the ice. Joubert does not have any improvent left IMO, just to try to keep his level that he showed at Worlds. Lambiel still does not capatilize on his spinning ability, and can improve his triple axel and overall triple jump consistency. Buttle might not have improve anymore, I dont think he will ever be that solid a jumper, both he and Weir have already had the best days of their career perhaps.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Close call between Buttle and Lysacek. Joubert has the ability, but not the spark, and he tends to break down under pressure. I think we'll see many Euro and World medals for him, but no more titles for awhile.

Germanice

On the Ice
As much I hate to say it, cause I really don't like this guy ... Lysacek!
He seems to be a judges Darling!

Anke

But I'm hoping for Johnny! :clap:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I picked Lysacek. Anke, judges are not the only ones that like Lysackek´s skating, LOL, the audiences seem very enthusiastic also. Besides, I like it very much, too. And did it already as he was still a junior skater. I have always thought that I see in him some shades of a big favourite from past: Robin Cousins, besides of course Lysacek´s own great looking skating.

Weir has become rather inconsistent and did not have the right approach to the important Olympic season, in my opinion. I hope that he will have a better approach to next season.

Joubert is sooo wooden, that I really hope never to see somebody like him winning a Worlds title. Lambiel has shown to be an excellent competitor, I hope that will continue.

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I hope I did not scare people away from voting for Sandhu with my bracketing that he is "really a stretch". :chorus:

harmonie

Rinkside
Germanice said:
As much I hate to say it, cause I really don't like this guy ... Lysacek!
He seems to be a judges Darling!

Excuse me? How can you say that Evan is a judges darling?
At the Olympics his was by far the best free skate, but he was classified only third! He is at least as good as Lambiel, Buttle & c. (not to mention the megaoverscored Plushenko) in the Program Components, but is costantly underscored in that department.

Olympics:
Plushenko: PCS 82.42 :mad:
Buttle: PCS 78.50 :sheesh:
Lysacek: PCS 74.34

Worlds:
Lambiel: PCS 77.88
Joubert: PCS 76.48
Lysacek: PCS 73.00 :mad:

Agree with you, Jaana, audiences seem very enthusiastic of Lysacek (as am I) because he deserves this enthusiasm. I picked him too, hoping that the judges too will give him what he deserves (and that he will be healty).

Agree with you also about Joubert, and how the judges could give him that PCS is really incredible IMHO.

As much as I know, Weir has always been rather inconsistent internationally, he has won almost nothing outside the USA...

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Lysacek underscored!?? Sorry he is the most overscored skater in the world IMO. He in no way deserves to get the same PCS scores as Buttle and Lambiel, they are far too high as they are. He should get mid-6s on most PCS, so he is the judges darling to get as high as he does. He also gets higher spin scores than Lambiel who is a far far far better spinner, again demonstrating how overscored he is, and how he is the judges darling. His lutz which is a flutz, and his axel which has horrable technique, often average +1 GOE from the judges.

For the record I dont think Lysacek will win a World title in the next quadrennial even with this blatant overscoring, but I fully agree with whoever said he was the judges pet. He definitely is, and without his overscoring he would be fighting to even be in the top ten. I was not going to say anything but seeing somebody before me say he is underscored, and he deserves higher PCS than Buttle and Lambiel which I find ridiculous I couldnt resist myself. :biggrin:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I picked Lysacek. I do agree that I find him rather overscored, given the overall content between the jumps as compared to a Lambiel, a Buttle, or a Sawyer (who IMO was RIDICULOUSLY underscored in Torino), BUT he's a young pup compared to some of the other guys there and that can be worked on; if he's done as well as he has so far with his content (2 World bronzes and may have had an Oly one too had he not had that bad short program), then with a little more I can see him winning the whole thing, assuming that Plushenko is out of the way.

Plus, Evan is one TOUGH little ********. To skate as well as he did in the Torino long program given what he'd gone through in the previous 48 hours? This man has GUTS. IMO he is mentally the toughest out there, except for maybe Plushenko, but a lot of Plushenko's confidence, IMO, comes from the fact that no matter what he does, as long as he lands his jumps, he knows the judges are going to put him 20 points ahead of everyone else.

harmonie

Rinkside
slutskayafan21 said:
Lysacek underscored!?? Sorry he is the most overscored skater in the world IMO. He in no way deserves to get the same PCS scores as Buttle and Lambiel, they are far too high as they are. He should get mid-6s on most PCS, so he is the judges darling to get as high as he does.
(...)I was not going to say anything but seeing somebody before me say he is underscored, and he deserves higher PCS than Buttle and Lambiel which I find ridiculous I couldnt resist myself

Listen, Lambielfanatic (this should be your nick), it's your rant that is pretty ridiculous, the evidence is for everyone to see.
Do you think that being mean with every other skater will help Stephane? No, it only makes you look pathetic.
LYSACEK IS UNDERSCORED VERY MUCH IN THE PCS, this is EVIDENCE - and btw the crowds usually don't give standing ovations just for the sake of it.
You are transparent: you trash Evan because he's the one you fear the most... and you're right! Because if only the judging will be fair he can beat Lambiel fair and square, as his program has highest thecnical difficulties, if he will be healty he will land quads perfectly, he lands two perfect 3A (one in combination), his spins are perfect, and is every bit as good as Lambiel in the "artistry".

Oh, another thing: please stop with your blatant lies.
gets higher spin scores than Lambiel who is a far far far better spinner is a lie
His lutz which is a flutz is a lie
his axel which has horrable technique, often average +1 GOE from the judges is a lie: Lysacek's axel is very good and got 0 GOE from the judges both at the Olys and at Worlds.
For reference, see the ISU website.

I love Stephane, he is my second favorite behind Evan, and he really doesn't deserve to have a fan like you.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
harmonie said:
Listen, Lambielfanatic (this should be your nick), it's your rant that is pretty ridiculous, the evidence is for everyone to see.
Do you think that being mean with every other skater will help Stephane? No, it only makes you look pathetic.
LYSACEK IS UNDERSCORED VERY MUCH IN THE PCS, this is EVIDENCE - and btw the crowds usually don't give standing ovations just for the sake of it.
You are transparent: you trash Evan because he's the one you fear the most... and you're right! Because if only the judging will be fair he can beat Lambiel fair and square, as his program has highest thecnical difficulties, if he will be healty he will land quads perfectly, he lands two perfect 3A (one in combination), his spins are perfect, and is every bit as good as Lambiel in the "artistry".

Oh, another thing: please stop with your blatant lies.
gets higher spin scores than Lambiel who is a far far far better spinner is a lie
His lutz which is a flutz is a lie
his axel which has horrable technique, often average +1 GOE from the judges is a lie: Lysacek's axel is very good and got 0 GOE from the judges both at the Olys and at Worlds.
For reference, see the ISU website.

I love Stephane, he is my second favorite behind Evan, and he really doesn't deserve to have a fan like you.

You are an idiot, everything you say here is completely ridiculous, you obviously have the skating knowledge of a hockey player or pre-juvenile child. You give no basis or reasoning for Lysacek deserving much higher scores, you are the one who just comes up with rants with no reasnoning, which you are probably incapable of due to your non-existant knowledge on skating. Go back home and drool over your stack of Lysacek posters which is your typical daily routine I am sure. Mrs. IamdesperatelyinlovewithLysacek you give the impression of being every bit the idiot women that Barbara Fusar Poli who is also Italian shows herself to be, if you were on TV you would make a fool of yourself in the same way.

Oh by the way-every skating commentator and expert has referred to Lambiel as the best spinner, the only comments I have heard on a Lysacek spin is "this spin is traveling and could be lower". If the judging was fair Lysacek would score 5 or more points lower than Lambiel in spins alone, contrary to your idiot eyes.

Evan is simply so inferior to skaters like Evgeny, Stephane, Jeff, etc....he simply regularly loses to them even with his blatant overscoring.

I will say though I got a good laugh out of reading everything you said. Some of it was so hilarious I needed to get a drink to stop from hurting my sides with the laughter. The funniest thing of all is you actually appear to be serious, and that is even funnier. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

harmonie

Rinkside
:laugh: I'd suggest you take some Valium :laugh:

slutskayafan21 said:
Evan is simply so inferior to skaters like Evgeny, Stephane, Jeff, etc....he simply regularly loses to them

:rolleye:

2001 JUNIOR WORLDS:
silver - Evan Lysacek
5 - Stephane Lambiel
7 - Jeffrey Buttle

Little troll (Davey25 on another forum I suppose), you're going anywere.
Bye.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Oh by the way Harmonie, or Barbara Fusar Poli, whoever you are, since you are equaly nuts and bereft of any understanding of skating since two-footed poor technical skating is what Barbara deems perfect given how she judges her own performances, you are on my ignore list so I did not have the privilege of reading whatever garbage you posted in a response to my last post. Go back to your Lysacek posters and your fantasy World where that grossly overscored skater is actually underscored, where his slow, off centre spins are actually really better than Lambiel's stunning spins, and where there is actually evidence of any of your half-baked explanations on what constitutes good skating. Thanks.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I selfishly voted for Evan. I think he can really take over in the skating world in the next few years, unless Stephane continues his amazing streak of amazing skates when it counts... either one winning is fine with me :rock:

and to those of you who continue to bicker, KNOCK OFF THE PERSONAL ATTACKS on one another, if you have issues TAKE THEM OFF THE BOARD that's what PMs and Email are for! Let's keep it friendly here at GS.

Last edited:

Okami

On the Ice
I'm rooting for Oda, he's really a delight to watch. Having watched most of his programs in 2004/2005 & 2005/2006 seasons I feel that his star is definitely on the rise. :)

I'm also selfishly hoping for more of his amusing exibition programs. "Rooster", anyone? :p