Dubreuil & Lauzon - | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dubreuil & Lauzon -

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
The only thing I've heard them say in regards to 2010 is that they don't see themselves skating that long but they will take things one year at a time and see if they still enjoy it, and if they still enjoy it they will still skate (this was right after the fall at Olympics they said this)

There was an article today about Denstas saying not for sure yet but a good chance they'll stay in next year.

quof

Rinkside
It sounds like Patrice really wants to stick it out for another year; he reasons that, if you go out on top, you're left wondering if you could have done even more, but if you give it one last try and don't win, at least you know you had nothing left to give. Marie France sounded much more reluctant to continue, but didn't rule it out. Their coaches, potential agents, and others are telling them they'll be much more marketable if they continue and win the World Championships, but they don't think that's a good enough reason to continue. I imagine they must be pretty marketable right now, particularly in Quebec - their rise to (almost) victory after the fall, good-looking and charming athletes who handled themselves with grace and who clearly adore each other.... someone must want them as the "faces" of their products. I'm disappointed they are apparently not joining Stars on Ice this year.

MF said they want to adopt 1 - 3 children, because their travels have allowed them to see children who don't have much of a future and they want to give it to them. They didn't say they wouldn't have their "own" children as well - it sure would be a shame not to merge those 2 gene pools!

quof

Rinkside
I missed your reply while I was posting, Teresa Dawn. They quite firmly shook their heads "no" when asked about staying until 2010 on their second Radio Canada interview. Marie-France was particularly definitive; she said it was too long, and they are both 30 now (a small fib, she's 31!). She said they might stay for one year, maybe two "maximum", to give younger Canadian teams time to develop rather than leaving a void if both they, and Wing and Lowe, retire this year.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From what I have read, both D/L and W/L are thinking about continuing on for a year or even two. That will prevent new teams from getting experience on the World level in time for it to make a difference for Vancouver.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
chuckm said:
From what I have read, both D/L and W/L are thinking about continuing on for a year or even two. That will prevent new teams from getting experience on the World level in time for it to make a difference for Vancouver.
If the new teams want to get the experience, then a good way to start would be proving that they deserve to compete at the World level by beating D/L and W/L. You shouldn't be given the chance to gain experience, you should EARN it. If the veterans can skate well enough to stay ahead of the kiddies, then I say let them go to Worlds!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Easy to say that, when you know they WON'T beat D/L and W/L at Nationals, because those two teams have become institutions.

It takes years for ice dancers to gain the experience and momentum to be medal contenders. D/L made the podium after 7 seasons competing at Worlds, B/A after 5 years. After 5 times competing at Worlds W/L have never finished higher than 10th.

I have read that Canada wants to maximize Canadian medal potential for Vancouver. Since D/L and W/L are almost certainly NOT going to compete in 2010, by continuing to skate in the next two seasons, they could be jeopardizing medal potential for ice dancers in 2010 and possibly even 2014.

chuckm said:
I was in Calgary and heard the shouts for both teams. That has to be a good feeling for the teams. they may be taken by the ovations at the time to consider giving it another go. Now that the Worlds have relaxed, they may have other plans.

I like the idea of them going the route of Dobriazca and Varnagas.

Joe

chania36

On the Ice
Dee4707 said:
I noticed Marie France dressed in what looked like a kimono, what program was that from?? Can anyone give us the highlights of what they were talking about.

Dee

To respond to your question, this is the long program of the Salt Lake olympics in 2002 and it was the Madame Butterfly program. Hope this help

quof

Rinkside
Dee4707 said:
I noticed Marie France dressed in what looked like a kimono, what program was that from?? Can anyone give us the highlights of what they were talking about.

Dee

They talked about their misfortunes at 2 Olympics. In Salt Lake, their costumes got tangled, even though they had competed and practised with those costumes dozens of times without incident. In Turin, they fell on a lift they had done countless times without incident, in fact, it was only their second fall on a lift in their 11 years together. They said there are lots of athletes who are many-time world champions but never win at the Olympics, because the Olympics are "just not meant for them". They've decided that the Olympics "just aren't meant for us."