ISU Communication 1381 | Golden Skate

ISU Communication 1381

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Here is the actual document.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-174322-191540-104614-0-file,00.pdf

About the money, in addition to the prize money that they already give out at events, the ISU will give an additional cash bonus to the top finishers in the ISU point system in each discipline

In earlier remarks Cinquanta said that this was spurred by the decision of many of the top skaters to skip worlds this year. But the real impact is that it will make participation in the Grand Prix more attractive.

About the pairs thing, they were proposing to sponsor (= pay for travel, etc.) for pairs couples from different countries to get together. So far they are just floating the idea to see if there is any interest. They are not proposing any change in the rules about pairs competing for one country when one member of the partnership is a citizen of another country. (This is OK for ISU events, but not for the Olympics.)

The thing about synchronized skating refers to the University Games. Synchro will be an official event this year, for the first time.

As for separate judging panels for tech and component scores (favored by "several federations and skaters," to say nothing of the consensus of the Golden Skate Figure Skating Discussion Board!), they propse to try this out next year on a provisional basis, in an event yet to be determined.

MM :)

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think that the "bonus money" for things like GP participation might be a good idea -- especially if the wealthier, non-seeded skaters (such as MK) skip it -- because it will help get needed monies into the pockets of skaters who need it more

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
1. Money - good, but I don't think it's enough to make athletes compete in GP if they have other competing options.

2. Separate panels - :clap:

3. Pair tryouts. Weird... I mean, I love the concept, but what's the incentive for the federations. Not only do they potentially loose a skater, but a competing country potentially gains a good athlete for free. However, seeing how pairs field is depleted this move is badly needed.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
why do that with pairs instead of just giving more financial help to existing pairs????

I think a lot of pairs skaters shop around internationally for a partner anyway. Maybe the ISU just wants help them out a little.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
why do that with pairs instead of just giving more financial help to existing pairs????
If a pair falls apart, that's two skaters who cannot contribute to the sport. Take Savchenko and Szolkowy - while Aliona could probably find a partner back home, Robin would likely have been unable to get an elite partner in Germany - the sport just hasn't been developed much since the Berlin wall fell. I'd argue that the fact that those two are skating together has already made a positive contribution to the sport. Now, they're only doing this for pairs - my guess is because dance doesn't really need extra help, and pairs need all the help they can get.

sk8addict

On the Ice
Jen Don

Ptichka said:
If a pair falls apart, that's two skaters who cannot contribute to the sport. Take Savchenko and Szolkowy - while Aliona could probably find a partner back home, Robin would likely have been unable to get an elite partner in Germany - the sport just hasn't been developed much since the Berlin wall fell. I'd argue that the fact that those two are skating together has already made a positive contribution to the sport. Now, they're only doing this for pairs - my guess is because dance doesn't really need extra help, and pairs need all the help they can get.
Very good points. The fact that Jennifer Don still has no new partner & has had only one tryout is a perfect example. She loves pairs skating & it was good to her until Jonathan kept getting injured. She is at the Culver Ice Arena if anyone is interested.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
True, but then there are the break ups of pairs due to finances... they have to quit because they just can't afford to continue...

I don't think it's fair to the pairs already astablished ... jmho

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
True, but then there are the break ups of pairs due to finances... they have to quit because they just can't afford to continue...

I don't think it's fair to the pairs already astablished ... jmho
I think those pairs are the responsibility of their respective federations.