We Have A TiVo!! | Golden Skate

We Have A TiVo!!

S

Show 42

We Have A TiVo!!

<span style="color:blue;">My son just bought a TiVo system, and is hooking it up as I type. I know some of you have a TiVo........any comments, pros or cons? (I hope he set it up right!)....:p 42</span>

S

Show 42

Re: We Have A TiVo!!

Hi dlk........its a program recording device....for example, you can request that any program about figure skating be recorded. It will automatically do that for you, on any station that you currently get, and save the program for you until you watch it. You can use your t.v., or regular VCR indepently of the TiVo system........ 42

G

Glacierskater

Does it recall archived events, or just current and up and coming...never heard of this.

L

Ladskater

Heard of it...what is it?

Ladskater

Remember - I am the one who still owns a turntable, LPs and cassettes!

Ladskater

"Flintstones, meet the Flintstones...."

S

Show 42

Glacier and Lad........we're still tinkering with it. It hooks up to a phone line and there is a monthly fee. It is very slick. For example, if you're watching a program, not a recorded one, but one currently playing on the telly, you can hit pause, run to the kitchen for a snack, and then come back and resume watching without missing anything. If you want to catch up to the program and skip what you've missed, you can do that too. You can even back it up to watch something already played. Mind you, this is while the program is actually being aired. You can also tape, but it won't pop a tape out to save like a VCR will. It will hold 80 hours of programs. My son has programed it to tape anything to do with the L.A. Lakers. It will automatically record games, interviews, etc. about the Lakers, without interfering with your regularly VCR tapings, or what you are currently watching on the t.v. 42

K

Kara Bear

That is so cool. My techie boyfriend will be impressed. Its on his wishlist.

G

Glacierskater

That is WAY cool! I thought that I had the technological geek household...we are both into computers for a living - me the mainframe, he EVERYTHING! He comes up with all these gadgets...if he knew about this I could get skating all the time! WAIT A MINUTE, maybe he DOES know about this...

H

heyang

Ok - here's what I know about TiVo. Everyone who has it loves it.

Essentially, TiVo is a service which is provided via a DVR (Digital Video Recorder). The DVR records programs to a hard drive - similar to the one in your PC. When DVR's 1st came out, they could record 10 hours of programming. I believe 80 or 100 is now the maximum.

TiVo is a service. You must pay a subscription fee to have the programming information sent to the DVR. ReplayTV is another service, but doesn't have as many subscribers.

As Show42 wrote, you can program your TiVo to signal the DVR to record any programs with a description associated with keywords. The only problem with this is that you will ultimately end up with every program with that keyword - including repeats. So, that hard drive can get filled up pretty quickly. Of course, you can erase the recordings that you don't want.

Another cool feature of the DVR is the ability to pause viewing while recording. In other words, you can be watching and recording at the same time. If the phone rings or the kids start fighting, you can pause watching. The DVR will continue to record, but you can continue watching from the point that you had paused. The DVR will show you what you missed while continuing to record the broadcast. You can also replay and the DVR will continue to record your programming.

Here's a link to the official website;
<a href="http://www.tivo.com/1.0.asp" target="top">Tivo website</a>

S

Show 42

Heyang.......thanks for the info........42