What To Think About? | Golden Skate

What To Think About?

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
So Nationals are here...I need some help from all of you guys...
Usually I get very nervous before I skate. This is what I'm working on now:
What to think about before the jump? I mean right before it? On the practice I have,you know, more chances to do the jump, and it's not all over if I miss it. But on the competition I have only one chance, I try to focus on it and really start to think too much before it, and simply don't do it the best I can...
What could I do?

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
I don't think I think anything at all, I just sort of go on to automatic pilot. Maybe thinking what comes next..... if it's my free dance, I'm likely to say "Yes!" or "Now!" at my husband/dance partner, say, before the lift or something....

Best of luck, and do let us know how you got on!

icy fresh

On the Ice
I hope I don't sound cliche, but I just say, "You can do it!" or "Do this jump!" If you don't say either of those, then you can think about how you want to do the jump by saying words like, "power," "force," "attack." Negative thinking never works. I know from personal experience. Good luck at Nationals. I get really nervous, too!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I think it's quoted in "Edge of Glory" by Christine Brennan--Michelle Kwan aparently asked Yuka Sato what Sato thought about right before going into a jump. Sato considered and said "Nothing." That would get my vote. While I'm not a jumper (yay for ice dance) I do find if I'm thinking at all in detail about any element before starting it or even during it, I'm far more likely to screw it up. Just don't think, feel. If it's a good program all the elements should feel like they're right and natural when they come up, anyway, so just go with it. Overthinking will kill you every time.